Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeyaussie

Snap/mini slap shot and balance

There are other threads on snap-shots, but I'm posting this thread because I'm having particular trouble with my snap/mini slapshot, and I don't think these other threads answer my following questions...

Most of the guys I train with do this mini slap-shot (which our coach encourages) which looks a lot like the so-called snap shot at 1:32 and 1:36 in this video...

I have practiced it quite a bit off-ice kinda like this (thought I don't flick my wrist as much as this guy):

My problem is that my success in this shot seems a bit random... I have been practicing this off-ice a lot in the last week and I have figured out that if I have the puck slightly forwards off my front foot, hit the ice 2-3 inches from the puck, keep a firm grip, but not too tight, try to flex the stick a little, try to control the early follow-through, then mostly it works real nice. But some times I go to practice this and maybe I'm just having a bad practice session, and the usual tricks don't work... then I kind of just try to use my 'knack' (forgetting the science of it all) and again, sometimes it works, and sometimes I just don't get it.

Same thing for doing it in-stride... this is difficult for me to practice, I only have limited 'goes' at this in a training session (maybe 10 goes each session) and I rarely get it right... getting my balance right seems to be the hardest part... I often shoot (never as nicely or accurately as I can do when stationary) then fall over because I got my stance/balance all wrong. Again, is there a science behind all this, or is it just a matter of practicing it until I get it right?

I've been learning hockey for about 12 months, and playing rec leage for about 6. In games I usually play right wing (shooting right) and usually go for a wrist shot, but I want more speed and power to get it past the goalie. Shooting in-stride seems to be my biggest hurdle at the moment so suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers guys,

hockeyaussie.

If you notice, most of the shots using that method in the video were fairly weak. I'm not a big fan of that method as it has a lot of moving parts and can be tough to get timed correctly. As for the second video, putting the puck that far forward in your stance is going to put you off balance. The guy demonstrating has a hard time keeping his balance and he is stationary. Try doing that on the move and a lot of players will end up on the ice.

I would agree with the others that it is easier while moving, I also prefer shooting snapshots with the weight over the wrong foot (left handed shot/left foot) when really trying to get the shot off quick.

Try to look at Kovalchuk's technic of snap shot. It's much easy to do snap shot in stride like he does, than on second video.

Watched a few videos, I noticed he does a lot of shots while gliding. will try to find some more of him doing shots in stride.

If you notice, most of the shots using that method in the video were fairly weak. I'm not a big fan of that method as it has a lot of moving parts and can be tough to get timed correctly. As for the second video, putting the puck that far forward in your stance is going to put you off balance. The guy demonstrating has a hard time keeping his balance and he is stationary. Try doing that on the move and a lot of players will end up on the ice.

Exactly what I've been finding.

Know of any good videos for a better method of getting shots at the goalie whilst in stride? (In our training the coach tells us to shoot from the blue line (or near it) whilst in stride. Is this ability too much to expect from a beginner?)

Try practicing while moving. i find that having the puck closer to your body helps.

I'd love to do more practice, I do it as often as I can (wish I could do more). I've been trying to practice off-ice by kind of walking quickly up to my shooting board and letting one rip whilst at a brisk walking pace (attempting to achieve a similar stance to when skating). I find they really rip when I get it right. I've seen people shoot with the puck closer to the body, not sure if I can do this with my 5.5 lie stick?

I would agree with the others that it is easier while moving, I also prefer shooting snapshots with the weight over the wrong foot (left handed shot/left foot) when really trying to get the shot off quick.

I've found I can do it off either foot, but my problem is still that my success is very random... I need to figure out what part of the technique I'm doing wrong and how to be more consistent.

Thanks guys, this has been the most difficult technique to learn in my 12 months of hockey so far.

another question... when loading the stick for a snap, should I put more pressure on the heel of the blade? or just keep it flat on the ice? Cheers.

The 2nd video is kinda bogus. The first video is def more technical — the kid is like 10 years old, don't think he's going to have a rocket of a shot.

The 2nd video is kinda bogus. The first video is def more technical — the kid is like 10 years old, don't think he's going to have a rocket of a shot.

There's a difference between not having a rocket of a shot and having everything flutter. It's also a good indication that the kid shouldn't be taking those kinds of shots from that far out and it's largely wasted coaching time and effort. Snap shots are great for traffic and being in tight, not open ice from the top of the circles.

when i do snap/wristshots, i have the puck not to far out beside me, cup the puck at mid of the blade by bringing the stick over the puck (top hand to the front), lean into it a little or "step" into it when i shoot from my off foot and then... shoot! this is more of a wristshot motion but i dont bring the puck to far behind me. And when the puck is more outside i pull it closer to me with the toe of the blade and then snap it. So i would say its a combination of wrist- and snapshot. But i would say you dont need that "mini slap shot", that just gives the defender and goalie a little more time to prepare.

for shooting in stride, this video is nice:

There's a difference between not having a rocket of a shot and having everything flutter. It's also a good indication that the kid shouldn't be taking those kinds of shots from that far out and it's largely wasted coaching time and effort. Snap shots are great for traffic and being in tight, not open ice from the top of the circles.

Of course but what do you want them to do? Make an instructional video with him weaving through traffic taking a snap shot? Yeah the mechanics weren't perfect but it's a video for kids. I'm not expecting him to have the most awesome shot. If a juniors/college/pro player had a weak shot in a video then I'd be like "WTF?".

Just my opinion. I don't expect too much out of kids.

Of course but what do you want them to do? Make an instructional video with him weaving through traffic taking a snap shot? Yeah the mechanics weren't perfect but it's a video for kids. I'm not expecting him to have the most awesome shot. If a juniors/college/pro player had a weak shot in a video then I'd be like "WTF?".

Just my opinion. I don't expect too much out of kids.

The point was that those players shouldn't be taking that type of shot from that part of the ice. Good practice habits are important when coaching.

OK I found I have some semi-private ice-time available tomorrow and will try adjusting my shots. Should I concentrate more on my wrist shot than trying to do snappers? (as mentioned I only started playing 6 months ago. I'm 32yo BTW)

I'm gonna try flexing my (85) stick more. And timing my shots off my stride (will try shots off both both feet) Should I try any flicking/snapping motion at all? Any other tips? This will be my last practice until next year.

Thank you for the input so far :-D

And that's exactly why I don't practice the shot like that anymore. I did get a goal off one of those chop shots last week, but it was in traffic at the top of the crease when the puck slid out from the goalie's glove. It's very quick release without a lot of power.

I don't push the puck ahead on snappers, I just lean into the stick and fire the puck hard and quick. Most of the time I'm not really aiming in game situations, just going off instinct. You get a lot more power and accuracy that way. Think of it as the evolution of the wrist shot: less windup, more stick flex, similar wrist snap.

I don't push the puck ahead on snappers, I just lean into the stick and fire the puck hard and quick. Most of the time I'm not really aiming in game situations, just going off instinct. You get a lot more power and accuracy that way. Think of it as the evolution of the wrist shot: less windup, more stick flex, similar wrist snap.

Ok so more like this video (though one of the players looks a bit unbalanced!) but with more flex, similar wrist snap?

Sorry about the noob questions. It seems like there is a lot of different opinions when it comes to hockey techniques, just trying to find what will work for me.

Cheers.

This reminds me of the stack-and-tilt vs "traditional" golf swing schools of thought. You should try each of these techniques before deciding which one will work best for you. You might have to have somebody video record you so that you can ensure that you are actually doing what you think you are doing.

This reminds me of the stack-and-tilt vs "traditional" golf swing schools of thought. You should try each of these techniques before deciding which one will work best for you. You might have to have somebody video record you so that you can ensure that you are actually doing what you think you are doing.

I agree but for someone with 12 months of hockey experience, there are so many moving parts in the multi-touch shot that his time is better invested elsewhere.

Sorry to touch on a very, very old topic but I'm still finding it an important point of interest. I've figured out the easiest, most natural motion that yields a strong shot in motion is, as a LH, to keep my weight on my inside/left foot, drag the puck forward/into my body, as I'm closing the gap with the stick to make contact with the puck (which I allow to get a couple inches ahead of the blade, NO wind up though), transfer weight to outside foot. It's the same weight transfer idea as a slap shot, but with a different stick motion. Good power and a nice, quick release. Anybody know what I mean?

Sorry to touch on a very, very old topic but I'm still finding it an important point of interest. I've figured out the easiest, most natural motion that yields a strong shot in motion is, as a LH, to keep my weight on my inside/left foot, drag the puck forward/into my body, as I'm closing the gap with the stick to make contact with the puck (which I allow to get a couple inches ahead of the blade, NO wind up though), transfer weight to outside foot. It's the same weight transfer idea as a slap shot, but with a different stick motion. Good power and a nice, quick release. Anybody know what I mean?

I think I know what you mean. Do you also push into the ice to flex the stick before letting it go? I've seen it done so fast that it's almost like the guy was making a one-time pass to himself and then rocketing off the shot.

It's time to do off-season training. This year, in addition to the usual squats, power cleans, etc., I'm intending to learn a snap shot. Maybe even the one with all the moving parts. I might even go for the Samuellson-type snap shot, in which the weight stays on the inside foot, even when it's perpendicular to the net.

I think I know what you mean. Do you also push into the ice to flex the stick before letting it go? I've seen it done so fast that it's almost like the guy was making a one-time pass to himself and then rocketing off the shot.

It's time to do off-season training. This year, in addition to the usual squats, power cleans, etc., I'm intending to learn a snap shot. Maybe even the one with all the moving parts. I might even go for the Samuellson-type snap shot, in which the weight stays on the inside foot, even when it's perpendicular to the net.

Yes, I do. I drag it in and slightly forward to get maybe 2 inches of separation between the puck and stick, then load the stick up, transfer weight from inside to outside leg and snap her off.

Why not just load the stick while dragging it in?

Sorry if my answer was not clear, but that is indeed the case. Start to drag/load her up just as weight transfer in the legs begins. The timing was tricky at first but is simple now. I like this method a lot better than putting all the weight on my inside leg as I release, which feels weird.

The only thing I don't like with that is it looks like he's not loading the stick at all and getting all of his shot speed from hand motion. I haven't broken it down frame by frame, so I could be wrong. i just don't see much stick flex. I do like the idea of practicing shooting from different body positions and situations. Being able to shoot when the puck isn't laying perfectly flat in front of you is a big part of being able to shoot.

The only thing I don't like with that is it looks like he's not loading the stick at all and getting all of his shot speed from hand motion. I haven't broken it down frame by frame, so I could be wrong. i just don't see much stick flex. I do like the idea of practicing shooting from different body positions and situations. Being able to shoot when the puck isn't laying perfectly flat in front of you is a big part of being able to shoot.

I agree. Seems like he could load it a lot more and really get some pop on the shots.

I agree. Seems like he could load it a lot more and really get some pop on the shots.

The more you load a stick, the longer it takes to get the shot off. He seems to focus on getting the shot off fast