Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pmr149

step steel question

I wear s17s with tuuks and ls2 steels that were pretty worn down...last week I broke a steel and had to get new ones...the shop put step steels on..they are really big..I feel like I cannot get started as quick..is it because I am not used to having an extra 1/2 to 3/4 inch of steel under my feet? is it something that just takes an adjustment period? or can I ask a skate sharpener to grind the steel down a little before next sharpening...thanks for any insight

I wear s17s with tuuks and ls2 steels that were pretty worn down...last week I broke a steel and had to get new ones...the shop put step steels on..they are really big..I feel like I cannot get started as quick..is it because I am not used to having an extra 1/2 to 3/4 inch of steel under my feet? is it something that just takes an adjustment period? or can I ask a skate sharpener to grind the steel down a little before next sharpening...thanks for any insight

i had the same thing done to me. i didnt know they put them on until i payed for them and looked at them, they were so much bigger then regular ls2's. i tried them 5 times also found my starts werent very good and i lost my balance more. i just went to a different lhs and bought the ls2 and use the step's as backups. im guessing you dont want to buy new ones so my best thing to say it give them another try or talk to the guy who installed them.

...the shop put step steels on...

Does this mean it's not what you ordered? If so, and you don't like them, why not take them back and make them give you what you ordered?

Does this mean it's not what you ordered? If so, and you don't like them, why not take them back and make them give you what you ordered?

I think for some shops you go in and ask them to replace your current ones and that may be all they have or dont even think of asking. They may also think that the step steel is better so they think your going to benefit.

Its usually not just the height that is the issue - it is the fact that the old steels were most likely very worn at the toe and heel, often called 'rockered'. The new steels will have a lot more material on the toe and heel, as the others probably did originally (but wore down gradually over time), and that can cause a very big change in feel during starts and transitions. Some so-so rink sharpeners will 'rocker' the new steel if you ask, which is basically knocking off the toe and heel material (and severely shortening the life of the steel); but the better solution is to have them properly profiled to suit you at a good LHS.

I think for some shops you go in and ask them to replace your current ones and that may be all they have or dont even think of asking. They may also think that the step steel is better so they think your going to benefit.

I don't know what the usual practice may be, but if I didn't OK a change, I'd certainly expect the replacement part to be the same as the old part. If they're planning to use a significantly different part, it seems very strange they wouldn't even mention it, let alone use it without my agreement.

I knew they were putting the step steels on I was talking to them while they did it I have a good relationship with the people there I just didnt realize it would make a difference so I didnt care..its a good shop they profiled them correctly but I guess I'll just have to wait till the steel gets more worn in to feel comfortable?

Had a similar issue when I got my step steel put on, but suffered from crazy shin splints. But like Rachel said, after profiling them to what I had on the old steel AND have the toe and heel shaved down to close to the old steel parameters, shin splints went away and felt more 'normal'