Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pby

The Things LHS Do

It was BFD. Sorry, but don't feel bad for ya...we've known FBV runs on two sets of numbers for how many years now? And how many times have we told people that they use the FBV name for credibility?

Yeah, its on me for not following the FBV thread anymore, no doubt, I just realized why the FBV I got at Winterfest and then Perfect Edge Hockey in Howell were awesome, and then the "FBV" I got at Peranis was pathetic. Couldnt figure out what the hell was wrong, but after reading up on the thread it's pretty clear.

That's not right

Maybe there were two machines, and he jumped on the one not currently being used. I used to do that when I worked at a shop. He also said he helped to bring the line down when he was done.

Maybe there were two machines, and he jumped on the one not currently being used. I used to do that when I worked at a shop. He also said he helped to bring the line down when he was done.

That's just as bad. If there were 2 machines, he should have used that one to bring the line down before he did his own; have both going. Your own gear never takes priority over the customers...

That's just as bad. If there were 2 machines, he should have used that one to bring the line down before he did his own; have both going. Your own gear never takes priority over the customers...

If he' not getting paid and the owner lets him do his own skates, then what's the problem? The sharpener wasn't being used anyway and he is taking himself off the line and speeding up the line for paying customers by not being on it. As a customer, I would not care

If he' not getting paid and the owner lets him do his own skates, then what's the problem? The sharpener wasn't being used anyway and he is taking himself off the line and speeding up the line for paying customers by not being on it. As a customer, I would not care

I interpreted the wording that he was still working at the time.

I understand he wasn't on duty but if you were to do your own skates and then help bring the line down, wouldn't that take the same amount of time as bringing the line down first and then doing your own skates? The only difference would be faster service for paying customers.

Two guys on my team have skates with bent steel, one slightly worse than the other. I went in to the new shop (third different one in a year or so) in the rink after our game to see if they had a blade straightener. The manager tells me the only solution for bent steel is to replace the steel. When I said disagreed, he said what the hell would you know anyway and turned his back to me. Now I'm pissed off and actively marketing my services, not just taking care of the guys on my team. The best part, they don't believe in FBV and trash it every chance they can using the blademaster hit list they published before their copy came out. Surprisingly, they have a brand new blademaster that they need to pay off. I'm sure there's no coincidence at all.

Got some skates over the weekend. I have posted here a few times with questions on how things fit and some other stuff. Thanks for that information but i went to shop about 45 minutes away in another city, had a guy fit my feet. Measured in the in-step, width and length. Long story short, the only skate that would fit was a Graf and he was willing to work with me on the price a bit as well, it was more than i had planned to spend. He then punched out the toe, stretched the boot, moved a skate blade over to make it more even with my foot. Unreal. Really cool guy who spent time with me to make sure the skate fit well. Just wanted to pass that long as I have read that many of you on here are guys who work or own shops.

Guy like that sounds like the type who enjoy doing it regardless of what they get paid. Nice to know they still exist.

The hockey retail world at the LHS level is a labor of love. That was me for pretty much 12 years - even when I was on the buyer side I needed to be in a store. If you don't, you're disconnected.

Where? One of the Graf dealers in CT baked and pressed two pairs of skates, and was going to watch me skate. Then move the holders and profile them based on what he saw. I just couldn't find a pair that fit in his stock. I actually felt bad.

I am in central Illinois. Put it this way. The guy was going to let me skate for a while and if it wasn't okay with the stretch, punch or the blade placement, I can come back next weekend (it's too far to go during the week) and get it altered a bit. Honestly, great guy. If you are in central Illinois, look him up.

I went to buy a new pair of skates about a year ago at my LHS. I was looking at skates for over 10 minutes and didn't see one person in the shop the entire time I was there. As I was leaving some punk kid asked me if I needed any help. I told him "Not from you." And I walked out the door and bought a pair online.

I really wish that more LHS hired people who care and are passionate about hockey equipment, and not some kid who only works their because he happens to play hockey.

It is hard working in retail and if you have never done it, you just don't know. Some customers want you to leave them alone completely, some like you to greet them and stay with them the whole time "selling them something", some like to look around ask a bunch of the same questions they ask every week when they come in, try on 5 pairs of skates, flex 10 sticks(but never can find the right curve), put their hands in every glove on the rack, and finally buy a roll of tape while telling you the killer deal they got online of last years closeout top of the line skates!

I'm not taking up for all retail sale's people, cause their are some really bad one's. But Retail in store sale's of anything these days has gotten much harder. So if you get bad service you have every right and should walk out without a sale. But if you have a local sale's person that goes out of their way to help you, in my book it is well worth the extra money you might save buying online.

It is hard working in retail and if you have never done it, you just don't know. Some customers want you to leave them alone completely, some like you to greet them and stay with them the whole time "selling them something", some like to look around ask a bunch of the same questions they ask every week when they come in, try on 5 pairs of skates, flex 10 sticks(but never can find the right curve), put their hands in every glove on the rack, and finally buy a roll of tape while telling you the killer deal they got online of last years closeout top of the line skates!

I'm not taking up for all retail sale's people, cause their are some really bad one's. But Retail in store sale's of anything these days has gotten much harder. So if you get bad service you have every right and should walk out without a sale. But if you have a local sale's person that goes out of their way to help you, in my book it is well worth the extra money you might save buying online.

If this was facebook, I would click the,"like" button.

I am in central Illinois. Put it this way. The guy was going to let me skate for a while and if it wasn't okay with the stretch, punch or the blade placement, I can come back next weekend (it's too far to go during the week) and get it altered a bit. Honestly, great guy. If you are in central Illinois, look him up.

Johnston's in Bloomington?

Yes, Johnstons in Bloomington. Good guy. I am from Peoria and there are some people here who aren't huge fans. He did have a store here but well, there were issues and it's gone now. Either way, he was cool to me and to my son, 6, who came there a few times while I was trying on skates. Sure, he's trying to move product and sure, he's trying to make a buck but I honestly felt that he cared whether I had the right skate or not. I'll go back to him, spend a bit more money if he had the gear I want to support him.

If you build relationships, the sales will follow. I've always been a firm believer in that.

This. I have two LHS's around me. One has a great selection of equipment, and one has INCREDIBLE skate sharpening. FWIW the skate sharpeners shop is the smaller of the two. I will go to him and drop extra on incidentals (tape, superfeet, soakers, etc) than the place with the better selection of equipment. That place is filled with 16-20 year old kids who just don't care, ask if I need anything only because the HAVE to, and generally, I get an uncomfortable feeling in there like I don't belong (stupid, I know)

But whenever I go into the other shop, the Owner knows who I am, strikes up conversation, asks how im doing, where I'm playing. Even if he was just putting on a front to make me feel important/valued as a customer.....whatever, I'm still going there. The guy does incredible work.

As for the other store, the feeling I get there leads me to sometimes purchase stuff online if the other guy doesn't have it/can't get it.

+ 1 Chadd. That is the secret to retail to those dedicated to their retail business. When people come to see you for your opinion because they trust you it means everything to both parties. Plus, if the manager in charge has those relationships with his customers, his sales staff will see it and what it means to the shop. It is up to the manager to make sure his staff understands how important those relationships are. If the staff is just a bunch of slackers, the manager probably is too.

If you build relationships, the sales will follow. I've always been a firm believer in that.

Strongly Agree!!!! In my business, I try to have good relationships with most if not all of my customers. I even send them Christmas cards.....