Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Machinehead2k5

"Comic Book" Movies Discussion

I wanted to start a discussion about the movies that have come out that will lead to the upcoming Avengers movie as well as other comic book movies. Expect this thread to be filled with spoilers and/or insights to each movie that has come out.

For those of y'all have that seen Thor and Capt. America. I'm guessing at some point Howard Stark gives SHIELD Odin's Cube that he found at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. But my question is when did Howard Stark become involved with SHIELD?

I'd have to go back and watch the clip after Thor, again. However, I don't know if Howard Stark was ever involved with SHIELD.

The Avengers were initially formed to deal with the Hulk, who was being manipulated by Loki. So I'm guessing they're being faithful to the comics for the most part. Subbing Ant-Man for Hawkeye and Wasp for Black Widow.

Feel free to yell at me, but I really was never into the actual comic books, just the movies now. I did have enough understanding of the comic books to get me through the movies, but, at the end of Captain America, did Stark find Captain America and he just didn't wake up for the 70 years? Or was he found in the plane wreckage and then had to be thawed or whatever?

He was found in the plane wreckage, so part of his story is being a man out of time.

EDIT: Actually, his story has always been that he was blown off a rocket that he was disabling, then found floating in the Arctic Ocean; it was always presented that the Super Soldier Serum is what kept him alive. Many stories have shown that he was found by the Avengers, but I can't remember whether that was the original story or a revised one.

He was found in the plane wreckage, so part of his story is being a man out of time.

EDIT: Actually, his story has always been that he was blown off a rocket that he was disabling, then found floating in the Arctic Ocean; it was always presented that the Super Soldier Serum is what kept him alive. Many stories have shown that he was found by the Avengers, but I can't remember whether that was the original story or a revised one.

From what I remeber he's found by the avengers in the arctic circle while they are pursuing the hulk. As they are trying to track down the hulk they're attacked by namor(being tricked again by Loki?) causing them to "accidentaly" find cap who's being worshipped by the locals.

Dude was found frozen in the ice. He was trying to disarm a drone plane (with bombs) and went down in the Atlantic. Discovered years later and thawed out by the Avengers just liked Encino Man hehehe.

In the comics, I'm pretty sure Bucky went down in the same incident, but was never found. As compared to falling off the train. Soviets found him and reprogrammed him into the Winter Soldier. It's all just a tad off, but the storylines in the movies tend to come to the same conclusion at some point.

Jason, did you read the Man Out of Time mini-series?

I can't remember whether I read Man Out Of Time, MyBoxers.. I haven't been able to subscribe for years, since it would add up to a few hundred dollars per month -- especially since I get so anal that I need to buy every Marvel and DC issue! -- so we check out graphic novels from the library. It's not the best way to read comics, because I often receive them out of sequence, either because I didn't notice them online to reserve, or they arrive four months later due to popularity, or I finally see them on the shelf and realize I hadn't read that book.

But, speaking of comic book movies -- including one that I never read because I'm too much of a mainstreamer -- we REALLY enjoyed Cowboys And Aliens. I thought they did a great job of tying in the classic elements from all Westerns: the unknown stranger, the ruthless rancher, the band of outlaws, the Indian tribe. And outside of perhaps the second alien being able to resurrect herself, I thought they did a good job of making the science plausible with one exception: the wrist bracelet. It makes sense that it could be a weapon that works neurologically with the user, but why would any culture create a weapon which automatically tracks their own species???

I actually only find this to be a trivial problem and it's the only way the movie could work, because otherwise the Cowboys would have been annihilated, but it doesn't make sense to have a device that only locks onto your own kind.

Next up for us is Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes next weekend, so I won't check back in here until then!

I pretty much only go to movies when my dad wants to see one or I have a preview screening/premiere for the Marvel movies. Hoping to see planet of the apes soon.

Man Out of Time was one of the recent Cap books I worked on, that's why I asked.

I watched Kick-Ass for my 100th time or so Friday night. I really loved the comic and read it before the movie and now the second comic is getting even better. I just hope Balls To the Walls is even better than the first. I just love the Kick-Ass comic and movie honestly.

Probably my favorite comic in a long time. Loved working on that while I was still in the bullpen. The movie was great, so many people had no clue what to expect going in to it not having read the comics. A lot of people thought it'd be a cutesy kids movie despite the R-rating.

I saw Supers and it was like a cheap knock-off of Kick-Ass.

Kick Ass was fantastic! Never read the graphic novel, but the movie cracks me up. Great characters, and story too. Chloe Moretz does a super job as Hit Girl.

I thought The Avengers was fantastic. Better than even I had hoped it would be. Mark Ruffalo is my favourite Hulk so far, and he and Robert Downey Jr. compliment each other nicely. Cap does come off as a bit of a pompous ass at first, but he gets with the program. It was good to see Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury for more than a few minutes of screen time, at last.

***********Spoiler alert!**********

If you've seen the film, who was that villain at the end of the film with Red Skull?

Yes, the Avengers was definitely a great movie. The Red Skull is NOT in the Avengers, Joss Whedon himself said it. The villain during the credits is Thanos . I can't wait for Capt. America 2 and the next Avengers movie especially if Whedon is on board for them.

EDIT: I --> Stand corrected. the Skull does make an appearance.

Mark Ruffalo/Hulk steal the show. They did an unbelievable job with this movie. Sorry I forgot about this thread, I saw the movie to weeks ago.

Great balance of action, humor, the characters. Machine, you're right on the guy after the credits the first time. I'm just curious where they're taking it.

Just make sure you stay for both post-credits scenes. I would have missed the second if it didn't take forever to get out of the theatre.

Great movie but the second act was a bit off. Didn't really set anything up and it felt clunky.

The Avengers was fantastic. It really felt like the books brought to life. Can't wait to see what they do with the Infinity Gauntlet, if they go that route, I know they had a glipmse of it in Thor....

^^ Absolutely agree, an absolutely stellar summer blockbuster movie. You get exactly what you expect with The Avengers - superheros fighting each other as well as aliens. I saw it last night, and was very satisfied with my $13.50 spent. I'd recommend it.

In a shock to no one, Avengers 2 was announced.

Also, Rebecca Hall is confirmed for Iron Man 3.

Yes, the Avengers was definitely a great movie. The Red Skull is NOT in the Avengers, Joss Whedon himself said it. The villain during the credits is Thanos . I can't wait for Capt. America 2 and the next Avengers movie especially if Whedon is on board for them.

EDIT: I --> Stand corrected. the Skull does make an appearance.

Now I'm embarrassed. I saw the crinkly chin and thought it was a skrull; I didn't even think of your answer.....

Mark Ruffalo/Hulk steal the show.

I didn't like how they had him portray Banner. I recognize that Banner has the responsibility of containing a nuclear bomb within his body, which would affect his disposition, but he didn't come across as one of the world's leading scientific minds, as much as an insecure savant.