Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interpathway

KHL Lokomotiv plane crash; several ex-NHLers dead

30 year old design and the plane was built in '93, not all that old in the context of airliners. You'd be surprised to find out how old are some of the designs and planes you've been flying on.

Hmm what I read said 30 year old plane not design, apparently they got it wrong but either way this is tragic.

And of course ESPN can't take 10 minutes out of their hour long Peyton manning injury update to recognize this tragedy. SMFH

Melrose and Bucci talked about Sid and the tragedy for about 10mins.

I'm not sure how this is a black mark on the KHL. It isn't like the team's trainer was the guy that did maintenance on the plane. It was a plane crash and, sad as it is to say, they happen from time to time.

There have been lots of stories about corners cut, lesser than expected accomodations and and salaries not paid by some KHL teams. I hope it doesn't come to light that maintenance on this plane was not being properly ensured. Tragedy is one thing...tragedy that can be avoided is something different.

Mods, can we merge this topic with "Lokomotiv plane crash" topic. Don't really need two separate topics on the same event.

the forward Alexander Galimov is one of the two survivors. The other one is the on-board engineer. Galimov had suffered burns to 80% of his body and is in critical condition. The club was the favorite to win the KHL cup this season. So many great players on the roster. I personally knew one of them very well. Still in shock. Can barely hold back the tears! RIP all perished and deepest condolences to the families and the loved ones!

RIP Karlis Skrastins. Had the opportunity of doing some things for him his past 2 years in Dallas. An absolute class act every step of the way who would always take the time to say hello and have a chat for a few minutes. Asked him about his experience in the Vancouver games and spent over an hour and a half talking to me about it and gaved me a signed stick for the privilege of hearing about his time. RIP Ironman.

There's conflicting reports about whether Galimov is still alive. Slava Malamud tweeted that a doctor says he has 3rd degree burns on 80-90% of his body, including his respiratory system. Someone was quoted saying his injuries are "incompatible with life." It's not looking good at this point unfortunately...

Malamud also tweeted that the mother of Sergei Ostapchuk had a heart attack and passed away when she heard the news. God damn what a terrible thing to happen.

This is just awful. all we can do is hope that nothing like this ever happens ever again

I can't believe something so massive could happen so foolishly. Pavol Demitra was always a spitting image of dedication and tenacity to me. 9th round pick that makes the team out of camp and goes on to be an all star. Ruslan Salei was pegged as a dirty man but by all accounts had a heart of gold. The young guys that played (and won gold) at the U20s this past year traveling to get a taste of the 'big time.' 'The Beast' Brad McCrimmon, looking for his first real head coaching experience, trying to find new tactics to perhaps bring back to the NHL in the future. The Rachunek's and Mareks and Liv's, it just boggles my mind that an event such as this can happen to a supposed premier league. I'm very saddened by what occurred today and what it means for hockey.

sorry for this rant, but it's a dark day for hockey.

The signal-to-noise ratio on stuff reported for aviation accidents always starts out really low. It takes a while for facts to percolate through WAGs; then we may learn something.