Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Kirsch

I want to play goalie

Yeah, the actual impact isn't so bad with the padding.  Some of the movements can be a little hard on the soft tissues, ligaments and IT band and hip flexors and all that fun stuff, but there's plenty of information about stretching and strengthening out there. 

The gear itself is basically unisex, other than the jock/jill.  Since many adult women are smaller in stature than adult men, intermediate (teen size) gear may work well.  I wear an intermediate catcher and blocker because I have delicate artiste hands, but they have been plenty protective excepting a few stingers from ex-NHL'ers and people who just plain have stupidly powerful shots.  Kids grow out of their gear like there's no tomorrow, so if there is any youth hockey in your area, scour craigslist.  Some poor parent somewhere is definitely trying to recoup their investment after their goalie grew three inches in as many weeks.

I'm already looking into intermediate lol. Like I said, I live in florida. And not in Tampa or somewhere with a better hockey population either. Finding it on cragslist locally isn't gonna happen. And before someone mentions it, yes ive already looked on ebay. I found 1 set if leg pads i like but i think theyre no break and i was looking for single break. Gear is never truly unisex either. This may surprise you, but women have boobs. For skating out i have a women's chest/shoulders and I love it. So far I can't find upper body goalie gear for women and it's slightly disappointing because I don't want it to be uncomfortable. 

As far as the knee thing goes, as long as there are exercises and stuff like you said that will help then that's a good sign. 

• Like 1

As far as I know, goalie gear is all unisex except for the jock. Or at least, women's versions don't exist as far as I've ever seen. Maybe you could get something custom made. 

lol.  Apologies Ash.  I forgot about boobs.  You could try a padded shirt underneath, or get a second pair of women's shoulders and have someone (a tailor) install the chest piece as an internal layer.  

My girlfriend started in goal a year ago after skating out for about 5 years, she enjoyed it but always wanted to play goalie so after saving up she got her gear.  As far as playing goes she loves it and doesn't even consider changing back to skating out.   When she got her skates she spent a few weeks just skating on  them at public sessions and getting used to the differences.  She had also spent about 6 months strengthening her legs and core as well as stretching to increase her flexibility.  As far as gear goes she bought all new stuff just because she is rather particular about her gear and also figured the investment of so much money would motivate her to stick with it if she got discouraged when playing initially. 

Biggest advice I can give with the gear is if you want to get used that's perfectly fine, but make sure you're helmet is good quality and fits well.  Pucks to the mask are no joke.  Also look at clearance gear if you want if you wait until the new years gear comes out you can find some sweet deals.  My girlfriend was able to find top end skates for less than 200 and a pro level chest protector or 250. 

For women there really isn't much you can do for fit. Usually intermediate sizes work well, but my gf went with a senior small chest rig so she could get the pro level pads.  It's not ideal but unless you get custom pads made you're kind of stuck.  Best option is to try on everything if you can and find what works best for you. If that's not an option do your best to find the right size and then play around with the straps to get the best fit possible.

Last note is invest in some good knee pads, it may not seem to bad on the knees but the constant dropping does take a toll on them so better to save them for the long run.

• Like 2

You mention twice there is no way there is gear at play it again and or craigslist locally. Have you looked? It is always worth looking. Also there are local buy / sell hockey groups on facebook. Look around you may be surprised. 

On 6/12/2016 at 9:19 AM, Ashtasticness said:

I'm already looking into intermediate lol. Like I said, I live in florida. And not in Tampa or somewhere with a better hockey population either. Finding it on cragslist locally isn't gonna happen. And before someone mentions it, yes ive already looked on ebay. I found 1 set if leg pads i like but i think theyre no break and i was looking for single break. Gear is never truly unisex either. This may surprise you, but women have boobs. For skating out i have a women's chest/shoulders and I love it. So far I can't find upper body goalie gear for women and it's slightly disappointing because I don't want it to be uncomfortable. 

As far as the knee thing goes, as long as there are exercises and stuff like you said that will help then that's a good sign. 

Give Sara at PAW a shout. I'm not sure if she does C/As, but if there is anyone who is sympathetic to your concern (and might be able to provide a solution) it would be her.

On 6/15/2016 at 5:35 PM, SirJW said:

You mention twice there is no way there is gear at play it again and or craigslist locally. Have you looked? It is always worth looking. Also there are local buy / sell hockey groups on facebook. Look around you may be surprised. 

I actually found out that the play it again here shut down. I've looked in the past and most of it is really ragged old men's sizes. That's how the rental stuff is at the rink too. I'm 5'4 and 130 lbs aka tiny. I have to find intermediate sizes and the hockey pop isn't big here. I scored a good deal on ebay for some leg pads that were pretty much brand new and I just picked up a matching glove and blocker for the same brand and style on goalie monkey I guess the line was discontinued and I was lucky enough to grab a set in the colors I wanted. 

• Like 2

Join GGSU on Facebook if you want to find cheap used gear. Those guys are ridiculous. They buy pro pads and sell them 3 months later to get something else. 

19 hours ago, OptimusReim said:

Join GGSU on Facebook if you want to find cheap used gear. Those guys are ridiculous. They buy pro pads and sell them 3 months later to get something else. 

Oh wow yeah that is pretty crazy. Why not get something you like the first time around and keep it?  I actually got rid of my Facebook a couple months ago. Can't really say I'm interested in getting it back haha! 

3 hours ago, Ashtasticness said:

Oh wow yeah that is pretty crazy. Why not get something you like the first time around and keep it?  I actually got rid of my Facebook a couple months ago. Can't really say I'm interested in getting it back haha! 

It's pretty much the only thing I still use FB for. Immediate family and GGSU (my family is thousands of miles away so it's a good way to stay in touch). 

They're idiots there, but lots of cheap gear to be had and contacts to be made. 

I know theres gonna be a size difference between the two of us Ash but I'm actually a girl that started playing in net not too long ago. Im 5'10" and 140lbs. Intermediate is going to be by far your best option for c/a (I'm in a senior small). The c/a actually aren't that uncomfortable on boobs; they're meant to stick out kind of far on the shoulders so even though some of the c/a can be heavy they don't really rest all in one area like normal shoulder pads do. The pants are made pretty wide to begin with so you shouldn't have a fit problem with those. The mask is definitely the most important, you never truly realize how many times goalies get hit in the head until you start playing. Leg pads would most likely be intermediate sizes for you unless if you have super long legs. You could probably use senior sized gloves and blockers but I would encourage you not too just because us girls typically have smaller hands (I'm actually using a senior glove and intermediate blocker). I actually have a pair of Reebok X-Pulse leg pads that are a 30+1 that I'm trying to sell. They're in good condition and I bought them to initially start with but they are way too small for me, I'm in a 33+1 now. 

• Like 3

On 6/12/2016 at 9:19 AM, Ashtasticness said:

Intermediate custom gear is also cheaper than intermediate pro gear, so it might be easier for you to get a glove with a pro palm than for a player with senior hands. I would talk to Sara Marschand of PAW for more ideas on female-specific gear. She sells probably the only double-layer goalie jill out there.

This protective shirt could help if you wear it under the chest protector. It's pricey, but will provide extra protection in an area that normal chest protectors are not designed for.