Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2011-2012 Washington Capitals general discussion thread

Figured we are close enough to the season now to get a regular season thread going.

Start off, Caps cut McNeill, Collins and Bourque today (pending waivers).

This leaves them with 27 skaters, rest of the cuts will come almost all from the forward corps where they have 16 skaters still with the team.

Looks like Beagle, King, Eakin, Sjogren are fighting it out for the last spot on the team. Should be interesting.

Remaining team as of today (Sept 29)

Forwards = 16

Backstrom

Beagle

Brouwer

Chimera

Eakin

Halpern

Hendricks

Johansson

King

Knuble

Laich

Ovechkin

Perrault

Semin

Sjogren

Ward

D-men = 8 (9-Poti I suppose for practical purposes)

Alzner

Carlson

Erskine

Green

Hamrlik

Orlov

Poti

Schultz

Wideman

Goalies - 3

Vokoun

Neuvirth

Also, Caps extend Jason Chimera - 2 year $1.75 mil per year cap hit

That's a fairly big hit for a guy that is mostly a fourth line player.

How has Orlov looked this preseason? I'm expecting big things from him in the near future.

Erskine still hasn't been cleared for contact, and Poti is going to LTIR means that Orlov will likely start as the 7th D-man for the season with Collins and McNeill being sent down. I would expect when Erskine is 100% Orlov will be back to Hershey. GMGM has said he's only carrying 7 D this year instead of the 8 they had for the past 2 seasons.

That's a fairly big hit for a guy that is mostly a fourth line player.

I agree. This is my post from another Caps board I'm on..

My biggest issue with this, as it was with Poti, is timing.

I like Chimera. I think he is a good PKer, good locker guy, but wish he would get more finished round the net.

Is he a good guy, yes, good player, well he's OK in his role. But if you take him off the team today, does it create a hole that cannot be filled at half price?

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knuble

Brouwer-MJ90-Semin

MP85/Eakin/Sjogren-Laich-Ward

Hendricks-Halpern-Beagle

You can already have his icetime replaced with someone like Eakin or MP85.

When the Caps signed the Poti extension, he was top 2 or top 3 D man on this team. But now, even if he's healthy, where does he slot in with Green, Wideman, Hamrlik, Carlson, Alzner, Erskine, Schultz, Orlov coming up etc.

Timewise it makes zero sense. And while he may have been brought here in the Clark deal to play the 3rd line, he is being slowly relegated to the 4th line/PK duty. Is he worth $1.75 per year for that?

The signing doesn't actually bother me, more than it befuddles me

I've seen and heard that Chimera has great top-end speed and decent acceleration, but has trouble with turns and stops. Has he improved these things? I think he would be much more effective with these additional skating skills.

Figured we are close enough to the season now to get a regular season thread going.

Start off, Caps cut McNeill, Collins and Bourque today (pending waivers).

This leaves them with 27 skaters, rest of the cuts will come almost all from the forward corps where they have 16 skaters still with the team.

Looks like Beagle, King, Eakin, Sjogren are fighting it out for the last spot on the team. Should be interesting.

Remaining team as of today (Sept 29)

Forwards = 16

Backstrom

Beagle

Brouwer

Chimera

Eakin

Halpern

Hendricks

Johansson

King

Knuble

Laich

Ovechkin

Perrault

Semin

Sjogren

Ward

D-men = 8 (9-Poti I suppose for practical purposes)

Alzner

Carlson

Erskine

Green

Hamrlik

Orlov

Poti - IR

Schultz

Wideman

Goalies - 2

Vokoun

Neuvirth

Caps send Eakin, Sjogren and Orlov to Hershey.

Perrault stays up, with Poti on IR to start the season, the Caps are now at the 23 man roster

What do you guys think about Ovi this season so far? What do you think is going on in his mind and also what is going on between Boudreaux and Ovi?

Eakin looked great last night against the Ducks.

Wideman... wow. Horrible defensively, but is managing to rack up the points. He was the direct cause of two goals last night IMO. I cringe everytime he's on the ice and the puck gets into the Cap's zone.

What do you guys think about Ovi this season so far? What do you think is going on in his mind and also what is going on between Boudreaux and Ovi?

I thought it was interesting that Boudreaux kept Ovi on the bench for the last 50 seconds while Washington was down by 1, that Ovi seemed PO'd at Boudreaux about it, and that Washington managed to pull off the equalizer without Ovi. Worked out perfectly for Boudreaux.

Big gamble for Bruce to leave Ovi on the bench, good to see it pay off and to have Ovi on the ice for the game winner. Both of them come out with their pride intact.

It is too bad, that the guys on VS publicly rubbed salt in the wound as well. Afterward I felt like they were a couple of ladies in a Hair Salon trying to pick a fight for someone.

Ovechkin just doesn't seem to have any hustle this year, unless its in a straight line to the puck. His shots are blocked, and when he pulls up to pass, half the time its to no one. He's not as physical as he was a few years ago, and he just seems to be there, not really involved. Its not like two or three years ago where you noticed him every single shift. Now you just seem to notice him in his own zone, standing in place with one hand on his stick.

I think Boudreaus message was a good one. That 3rd line of Laich, Ward, and Chimera hustles. They play hard, they play defense, they create offense. Ovechkin needs to take a few notes from them, because they're always competing no matter what.

I saw Ovi knocked down a shift or two before the benching, seemed to get up slow and loaf. Either Bruce wasn't afraid to show he will bench a sandbagger, or Ovi was shaken up. I think it was probably a benching. As stated, message sent.

Ovechkin just doesn't seem to have any hustle this year, unless its in a straight line to the puck. His shots are blocked, and when he pulls up to pass, half the time its to no one. He's not as physical as he was a few years ago, and he just seems to be there, not really involved. Its not like two or three years ago where you noticed him every single shift. Now you just seem to notice him in his own zone, standing in place with one hand on his stick.

I think Boudreaus message was a good one. That 3rd line of Laich, Ward, and Chimera hustles. They play hard, they play defense, they create offense. Ovechkin needs to take a few notes from them, because they're always competing no matter what.

I have said before, I think Laich is one of the best grinders in the league. Ward is a man possessed with Chimera and Laich. I think Semin and Ovi at this point are mailing it in a bit. But that is just from the games I have seen on VS.

I really believe his suspension from the other year had a real impact on his game. Now that he's eligible for repeat offender status, especially with Shanahan, it seems he's afraid to hit people for fear of injuring the player and being suspended. I watched the Caps/Wings game live, and every time he had the chance for a punishing hit, he either gave a bump or curled away. Ever since people harped him for playing reckless, it seems he's eliminated one of his best skill sets. I'm hoping he gets frustrated and angry to the point where he starts chucking his body at everyone and everything. He needs to play like a bowling ball, not a beach ball.

Sidenote, with Rinne's signing, how nice would it be to package Semin with a 1st and perhaps something else (Schultz?) for Weber? Sigh, wishful thinking.

Sidenote, with Rinne's signing, how nice would it be to package Semin with a 1st and perhaps something else (Schultz?) for Weber? Sigh, wishful thinking.

or they could just sign Suter as a free agent in the summer.

Or they could use that cap space for Vokoun. Although, Neuvy/Holtby would probably still have great numbers with Suter added to that blue line.

Or they could use that cap space for Vokoun. Although, Neuvy/Holtby would probably still have great numbers with Suter added to that blue line.

I was screaming for someone to trade for Vokoun for his last two years in Florida. Hell, they Flyers offered Carter two years ago (before they offered him to the caps last year) and the Panthers turned it down.

I was thinking more for playoffs, with the option to re-sign in the summer depending on fit, performance, and numbers. Either would work. Suter would not cost as much though, either via trade or free agency.

Don't think I'd want Vokoun resigned, at least not at what his market value would be. Neuvirth is a fine tendy for a #1.

Nahhhhh. The capitals don't want Suter or Weber. Those two need to go to the Sharks. HEHEHE! Let Boyle, Vlassic, and Demers go...

Either of those two would be solid for the Caps!

Nahhhhh. The capitals don't want Suter or Weber. Those two need to go to the Sharks. HEHEHE! Let Boyle, Vlassic, and Demers go...

Either of those two would be solid for the Caps!

Honestly, the Caps would rather overpay their own guys than sign a high end free agent.