Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

2012 Miken Hockey Catalogue

Miken's expanding, great to see :)

A few observations:

• I wonder what Miken's retail plans are for their stick lineup, especially for the Razor Z9 and their Accu Flex 2.0 offerings. Having 4 flexes and 6 patterns for the Z9 and the 6 flex options for the Accu Flex are definitely ambitious, putting their numbers on par with Bauer, Easton and the other bigger companies. Looking at Ballistik/Combat as a comparison, their entry into the market was similar with the 52cal. Go big or go home?
  • All stick offerings are ≤ 500g, even their 'entry' models. I'm surprised they didn't emphasize that in the catalog
  • The blade pattern chart is a visual nightmare lol
  • Nice to see an anatomical-fitting glove from a newer manufacturer in the Z9, it's aesthetically sharp and I'm definitely would like a chance to try on a pair if given the chance :laugh:

I really hope the accuflex idea really works for them. I really like the concept of making them slightly stiffer and slightly longer as you move up. The sticks they showed this year were significantly better balanced than their sticks I've seen in the past. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform.

I'd try any brand stick that actually offers a true Coffey clone (even if it's only a booking option). Don't know how much of a niche they can truly carve out though. Was their first stick a true sales disaster or did it only seem that way?

Product looks promising, shame about the timing of the Booth trade though.

They're going to get a lot more exposure in Vancouver, than they did in Florida. It's great for them.

They're going to get a lot more exposure in Vancouver, than they did in Florida. It's great for them.

In terms of market size and exposure, i agree 100%, just talking about the cover shot :wink:

Hello All,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am the Hockey Category Product Manager For Miken Hockey. I would love to field any questions or any comments that you might have about this upcoming product line for Miken along with any other things Miken Hockey. I appreciate Modsquad inviting me to do this on this thread and look forward to the discussion.

Miken's expanding, great to see :)

A few observations:

• I wonder what Miken's retail plans are for their stick lineup, especially for the Razor Z9 and their Accu Flex 2.0 offerings. Having 4 flexes and 6 patterns for the Z9 and the 6 flex options for the Accu Flex are definitely ambitious, putting their numbers on par with Bauer, Easton and the other bigger companies. Looking at Ballistik/Combat as a comparison, their entry into the market was similar with the 52cal. Go big or go home?
  • All stick offerings are ≤ 500g, even their 'entry' models. I'm surprised they didn't emphasize that in the catalog
  • The blade pattern chart is a visual nightmare lol
  • Nice to see an anatomical-fitting glove from a newer manufacturer in the Z9, it's aesthetically sharp and I'm definitely would like a chance to try on a pair if given the chance :laugh:

-We are being ambitious, but with the Z9 being Made in Minnesota, Manufactured by our people it is easier for us to offer this many flexes and we actually offer 10 different retail patterns. As for the Accuflex it is needed in the junior and intermediate category of sticks as we are not just down sizing the high end sticks to be close to what a younger player needs. We want to offer many different option for younger players so they can get the best performance out of the stick with out compromising the stick by cutting it to much when it is already in most cases to stiff for them to start with

-As for the weight of the sticks, yes they are all either at 500 grams or below, but feel that coincides with all the other performance aspects. Even further past the over all weight of each stick it was my goal to make the balance of each stick stand out for what type of player would be using the sticks.

-I know the blade pattern chart seems a little clustered, but to get the point across that we offer so many options it makes it tough to show and I think for what it is the catalog highlights it well.

-in My eyes The gloves that we offered needed to be 2 styles or else its not really worth doing. With this whole line current and future it is my hope to have a decent variety as I know no players preferences are the same.

I really hope the accuflex idea really works for them. I really like the concept of making them slightly stiffer and slightly longer as you move up. The sticks they showed this year were significantly better balanced than their sticks I've seen in the past. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform.

Thanks Chadd. I think with the more people we can educate about what the idea of the Accuflex is the better we will do. Also thanks for the good words about balance that was the goal. I am also looking forward to feedback on how they perform from a wider segment. We have been testing these sticks for close to 5 months with NHL, AHL, College, Junior and top high school players, and all feedback has been very impressive so far, but I am excited to see more.

In terms of market size and exposure, i agree 100%, just talking about the cover shot :wink:

The cover shot is too bad, but something we will live with as Vancouver will be great for David and good for Miken as well.

Thanks for all the post so far. I look forward to more, keep em coming, I will do my best to address everyone.

Thanks Again.

Well the first questions is when will the new sticks and gloves be available?

Razor Z9 and Recoil Sticks will be out November 15th

Vicious line and Accuflex will be out December 15th

Vo2fX Socks out Novemeber 15th

Gloves, Bags and rest of apparel will be out February 15th

Ahh, thanks for the response jdksaves. It's very interesting for me to see how a firm such as yours can fare in the oligopolistic hockey gear industry. Best of luck for sure :)

I was also wondering about which of the bigger retailers will carry your product, especially in Canada. Have you guys found a buyer from the Forzani Group?

Ahh, thanks for the response jdksaves. It's very interesting for me to see how a firm such as yours can fare in the oligopolistic hockey gear industry. Best of luck for sure :)

I was also wondering about which of the bigger retailers will carry your product, especially in Canada. Have you guys found a buyer from the Forzani Group?

Our Canada division of Jarden Team sports (Rawling/ Worth/Miken etc) is handling the negotiations and they are currently setting up appointments to show the product and for me to come up and assist if need be. I do know they are speaking with all major retailers in Canada to get the ball rolling. So currently we are working on it and time will tell. I will keep everyone posted as more develop.

Those sticks look really, really nice. The reduced use of resin is key, and it speaks well to the thought that went into the lay-up. Excess resin can hide a multitude of sins...

Any chance you guys might eventually expand into goalie sticks or other products? It's an annoying segment, admittedly, but we could use from fresh ideas. That Zipfoam, if it's anything like Airex R63, could be an amazing fill for paddles.

Are the gloves being produced in Minnesota as well? What is the MSRP?

Unfortunately the gloves are not. I have been in search of a domestic factory to call our own for some time, but there really aren't very many out there that don't have agreements. the MSRP are going to be $139 and $129, but they will not be on MAP pricing so they will be a lot lower than MSRP as usual for MSRP to no MAP products

Those sticks look really, really nice. The reduced use of resin is key, and it speaks well to the thought that went into the lay-up. Excess resin can hide a multitude of sins...

Any chance you guys might eventually expand into goalie sticks or other products? It's an annoying segment, admittedly, but we could use from fresh ideas. That Zipfoam, if it's anything like Airex R63, could be an amazing fill for paddles.

Thanks for the comments on the sticks. The reduce of resin is huge as that was a main component in getting the weight out, but keeping the same over all strength of the stick. As for Goal equipment, sticks are on the horizon for possibly next year we are tinkering with concepts now, but for the rest of the goal line, that will have to follow down the road a few releases. As for other items (ie player protective) I am working on concepts currently to come to market in the next few years. Miken is looking to be a Hockey company and that is what I have set out to do as far as the offerings go. So stay tuned.

What curve is the BP41 curve similar too? All of the other ones were pretty easy to figure out except this one. Maybe I'm just missing it. Haha

It actually is between a few. It has overall shape of a Zetterberg, but the toe opens a decent amount just not as much as a Sakic/Hall

I am watching NHL Live and they are interviewing Brett Hull. They talked to him a bit about the coaching change in St. Louis and then they mentioned Miken. He said it is the best stick by far that he has ever used, held, or shot with! He complimented the company strongly on the way you guys are building up the game for young players. I know he is part of the company, but he could not say enough about the new sticks. I have read before that he was very picky about his sticks in his heyday, so this seems like a real compliment. He said the stick kicks harder than anything he has ever tried before. I am looking forward to trying my stick.

I've been using Miken for over a year now and have yet to break one. Been using the MV3 Pros, Pattern 10.

I'd like to give the Z9 and Recoil sticks a try. Don't see them for sale anywhere online or here in MInneapolis....

Razor Z9 and Recoil Sticks will be out November 15th

I've been using Miken for over a year now and have yet to break one. Been using the MV3 Pros, Pattern 10.

I'd like to give the Z9 and Recoil sticks a try. Don't see them for sale anywhere online or here in MInneapolis....

We are currently working on orders with major Retailers through out the Twin Cities areas and should be getting things out in the next few weeks

Does anyone know where I can get a Miken in the NH,ME,VT area?

We are currently working on that area to find the best retailers to move on. Where do you usually shop?

Miken was gracious enough to clone my pattern; received it yesterday. Thanks, Jason!

z93.jpg

z92.jpg

z91.jpg

Great to see you got it and it looked to match. Hope you enjoy it. Let me know how it goes. Thank you JR!

We are currently working on that area to find the best retailers to move on. Where do you usually shop?

Most of the time at Pure Hockey in Dover & Exeter NH. Thank you for the quick reply.

I love the simple straight to the point and clean look of both the sticks and the gloves. Hopefully the four roll becomes available in ontario, I'd be eager to try them.