Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Easton E700 Helmet Teardown

Yup, I noticed that, just posting the Canadian value.

Also, are there any details that can be released for the rest of the line? You mentioned the E600 JR, what can you tell us about that?

This is more a question for Chadd, but I'm sure JR will have an opinion as well.

Some of us here, play on both sides. Players, and referees. As the referees will know, the "dress code" states only black helmets are to be worn. Given the... aesthetic choice made by Easton for the E700, I was curious as to your stance on whether or not this helmet would be considered acceptable to be worn by a referee? Is this helmet going to be made available in the shiny gloss finish that all helmets currently do, or do I have to continue on with my S19 and forego all the advancements made by the new E700?

Thanks for your time guys.

JR covered the availability issue. As for the dress code, my guess is the brotherhood would probably prefer the shiny version but you never know.

Come on...really?

Read the FIRST sentence in my post.

I did; my mistake for glancing over the text originally. You don't need to give me sass, I was just looking for an answer.

JR covered the availability issue. As for the dress code, my guess is the brotherhood would probably prefer the shiny version but you never know.

Thanks, Chadd. That's kinda what I figured.

I did; my mistake for glancing over the text originally. You don't need to give me sass, I was just looking for an answer.

The answer was there all along. It is frustrating to put out all of the information there and still have people questioning it.

Bauer cages going to fit size for size?

Putt on my 5500 the other night and it seemed a little tight near the top of my head and just could not get it adjusted right. When you mention it being a bit wider than past Easton helmets, how would it compare to 5500?

Thinking about trading in 5500 and some lacrosse gear at a local shop and if I could get it for about $80, if the fit is right, seems like a good deal.

this looks like a great helmet, and I really like the idea of removable/washable pads. I hope this is something other companies will consider/copy.

Went to TotalHockey today and tried on some helmets, including the E700.

My history: Currenty wearing a Cascade M11 in a Large. Fits me nice and snug - no complaints there, but I have been getting some massive headaches while playing with it. Tried it looser, tigher, etc and nothing cured it. Before I used Cascade, I had a CCM V08 in a size Medium. That fit me even snugger, especially in the back of the head area behind the ears. No aches at all though... I suffered a diagnosed concussion with that helmet about 7 months ago, which promted me to switch to the M11.

I went into TH with my mind open. Reebok, Easton, Bauer, etc...

I first started by trying on the E700 in a size large. I noticed no pressure points at all and noticed a little bit of slip when I thrusted my head back and forward. I tried on a medium and noticed it to be a little snugger right out of the box. It felt almost like air - like no helmet was on whatsoever. It was light and there was no pressure points at all.

I then tried on a size large 11K. Noticed pressure points right off the bat, even after playing with the microdial.

The 9900 did not have enough pressure around the temple to hold my glasses in place (yes, I play with glasses).

I decided on the E700 in a medium. First medium sized helmet to fit me other than the CCM V08. Very surprised at that.

I bought it and brought it home (90 minute drive). I mounted my mask (Bauer 9900, sz large). I then started playing with the adjust features of the Giro system. I noticed that when I strapped my mask on that it would force the top of the helmet to pop up off my head. So I adjusted the up/down feature of the Giro system first. Did not cure it. So I started playing with the forward mounts to see if going a setting tighter would help. At that point one of the plastic peices snapped. Pictures are below.

I emailed Easton hoping they will replace it. The stickers have not been removed nor has the helmet been worn outside my living room. I hope they will do the right thing... The helmet still "works", but just not ideally.

I will say I am super impressed with this helmet. It is so-so-so light. It is amazing. I honestly think that the E700 with my 9900 cage actually weighs the same as my M11 without a cage!!! No hard facts yet. Can't wait for Bauer to release a titanium cage so I can slap it on the E700.

th_EastonHelmetBreakage001.jpg

th_EastonHelmetBreakage002.jpg

Have you tried the large? I, also, was very surprised that the medium fit on my head, with just a bit too much tightness at the temples. Only one large, and just a few extra larges, out of the other helmets I've tried, would fit me.

Picked one of these up yesterday, I am really amazed by the lightness and comfort of this lid! I am usually a large as well, but could squeeze into a medium in the 700, was just a little too tight though, so I went with large (I wonder how the sizing of these will effect folks who are usually a "small" in other brands? mya be tough to adjust down enough to fit, but i reckon you'd have to have a head like beetlejuice for that to be an issue, lol)

I was kinda bummed about the hardware that ships with the helmet, though......All of the screws are incredibly short, which I would guess would be in an effort to cut weight as much as possible, but it leads to the screws being too short to use with a visor or j-clips for a cage. I thought maybe they would include a small bag of screws or something, but no luck there, so I had to reclaim some hardware off my old helmet to mount my visor, and will have to do the same when I throw my cage back on for beer league (not a big deal, and I guess if it was sold with a cage it would have to have different hardware...I just didn't like having recycle hardware to put on a new lid)

Twister -

Why would they include longer screws on a helmet?

The cage and visor ALWAYS includes the right sized screws for their installation, not the helmet. Your gripe is irrelevant; every helmet on the market is like that.

JR- I had a feeling that was the case, my bad.......honestly, pretty much every helmet I have bought in the past decade or so was a combo, and it seemed like they always had the little bag o' screws with them, not a big deal, I still love the lid

Heard back from Easton... Helmet warranty/defects have to go through the shop I bought it from... The one LHS we have in the area did not carry these helemts, so I had to drive 90 minutes down to Chicago to get it... Looks like another $20 in gas and 3+ hours out of a weekend will be spent to get a replacement... Not like I am cheap or anything :)

Might be cheaper for me to buy a replacement Giro system, but I have yet to find a retailer selling those replacment parts yet...

I could. I need to call down there tomorrow. Not sure if they hand me a new one right then and there or if they need to send it in, get approval, etc, etc.... It was the Glenview location.