Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Easton E700 Helmet Teardown

How has everyone's E700 held up, who's used it with a cage?

I was planning to just pick up a E600, because everything I read said the cage mounting is a bit stronger than on the E700, but I can't really find many anymore. I actually ordered a E600 combo in large, since every other helmet I've worn has been that size, but it's just a bit too loose on the tightest setting (my head measures right about 23-1/2"). It also doesn't help that any E600 combo I can find comes with a medium cage, which seems to be too small for me, since I do have a bit of a longer head.

Yeah, I'm finding more 700s than 600s and most of the 600s are the combos with, what would be to me, a useless cage. I'm assuming I'll end up with a 700 and that's kind of why I was wondering how the 700s are holding up with a cage, plus the matte white has grown on me :laugh:

I've used my 700 near on every 2nd day for the last 2 years (both cage and visor). The only issue I have had is with the material that covers gyro strap clip in the side of the helmet. I went to remove it to show someone how the helmet adjusts and the velcro pulled away from the material. No big issue, just glued it back on once the helmet had dried out properly.

It's a close race between the 700 and Rbk / Bauer equivalent models (11k/re-akt/ims11) but the 700 still remains one of the most comfortable lids I've ever tried on.

My son has 3 E700s and traded a 4th for a pair of gloves. I have one myself. All were purchased used off eBay at a very generous discount, we weren't in a hurry. He has a black one for travel hockey, a blue one for high school (both with Bauer Re-Akt cages) and his original matte black without a cage he now uses for power skating. The last one I bought came with a half dozen sets or so of inner pads. As insanely light as the helmet is they have held up very well over several years. He skates 4-5 days a week and both leagues are very physical. The matte black, has some minor flaking of the plastic at the cage mounting point. I think this is our oldest one, the plastic was very thin there and seems thicker in the newer ones. Structurally it still seemed fine, he wanted to switch back to gloss black. There is the odd nick, mark or discoloration on each of them.The liner has peeled off the odd pad, but they are easily replaced. Unlike the traditional gel pads which I've been thoroughly frustrated by. His friend he traded with got mugged by 3 guys in front of the net on the weekend and had a J-clip ripped apart. His E700 held up just fine.

I haven't really worn mine much. I mostly use an old HM40 cats eye lacrosse cage on my 9900. I haven't gotten around to switching helmets yet. Not sure how the lightness of the helmet and fit will be affected by the weight of the cage. I really am over my 9900 and just haven't gotten around to switching.

So far the E700s have proven to be more tham durable and have held up better than his 9900 and my 9000 & 9900. In fact I still search eBay every now and then to see if there's any good deals.

My E700 is not really holding up that well. I had to superglue the thin candy shell back to the foam near the temples as they were separating. The removable pads do not hold up well at all. The helmet is super light and comfortable so I don't mind the durability issues as much.....

My E700 is not really holding up that well. I had to superglue the thin candy shell back to the foam near the temples as they were separating. The removable pads do not hold up well at all. The helmet is super light and comfortable so I don't mind the durability issues as much.....

My pads held up very well but the shell does not like rough treatment. By any chance, were you wearing a visor? They can pull out and crack helmets with thicker shells, so I would imagine a problem similar to yours with an E700.

I do use a visor, but the separation I had was at the "bumps" on the side of the helmet where you would normally adjust the fit on a conventional helmet. Not a structural defect or a crack in the foam. I love how comfy the helmet is, and if I can find another one on clearance in a year or so I might pick up another.

They are on clearance now. I picked up a 2nd one for 89.

I got hit in back of the head with a D clearing pass while on the bench. Shell got a crack. Is the helmet still safe to use? It doesn't seem the foams integrity was compromised.

I got hit in back of the head with a D clearing pass while on the bench. Shell got a crack. Is the helmet still safe to use? It doesn't seem the foams integrity was compromised.

Once the shell is compromised it is not safe. Mine cracked due to an attempt to behead me (uncalled).

Hey guys, sorry to bring back an old thread but I'm hoping that someone will have some input on how the fit of the E700 compares to the S17.  I see that JR mentioned it fit a little wider than the S19, but I remember that was a different helmet from the S17 in a lot of ways, so not sure how their fits compare.  Specifically, I wear a medium in the S17 and have it just about as small as it will go (at its smallest it fits but is just a hair too tight on my forehead) with the GIRO system tightened down a good amount.  I love the way it fits, but it's definitely time for a new bucket.  Would I be able to go down to a small in the E700, or would I need to stick to a medium? I can still find a couple online, but no local ships have any senior stock at all to try on for fit.  Thanks!

29 minutes ago, tcraig said:

Hey guys, sorry to bring back an old thread but I'm hoping that someone will have some input on how the fit of the E700 compares to the S17.  I see that JR mentioned it fit a little wider than the S19, but I remember that was a different helmet from the S17 in a lot of ways, so not sure how their fits compare.  Specifically, I wear a medium in the S17 and have it just about as small as it will go (at its smallest it fits but is just a hair too tight on my forehead) with the GIRO system tightened down a good amount.  I love the way it fits, but it's definitely time for a new bucket.  Would I be able to go down to a small in the E700, or would I need to stick to a medium? I can still find a couple online, but no local ships have any senior stock at all to try on for fit.  Thanks!

I don't know if this will help but on the inside of my Small E700 helmet, it's written 20.75 - 22.25in,  53 - 56.5cm.

17 hours ago, tcraig said:

Not sure how it relates to the S17, but I wear a Medium in every other helmet I've ever had, but my Small E700 fits me perfectly.

On 11/13/2016 at 4:58 PM, Larry54 said:

I don't know if this will help but on the inside of my Small E700 helmet, it's written 20.75 - 22.25in,  53 - 56.5cm.

Thanks. Just took a fabric measuring tape to my dome, came in at 22.5in. Sigh.