Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

natbat

CCM VS Bauer blade radius

I would like to know if you can purchase a pair of CCM skates and have the CCM radius changed to the Bauer 9ft radius without changing the blades and/or holder.

..or should you change the blades and holder to Tuuk????

Hmm, not really sure what you're asking here but any competent sharpener could profile any steel for you regardless of manufacturer. You don't need Tuuks to get a 9ft radius. A 9ft radius is a 9ft radius anywhere.

I am used to skating with Bauer skates. Tonight I tried on a pair of CCM skates and had a hard time skating. A guy at the rink explained the radius difference......The skate was so comfortable....So I could take the skates to a professional and have the steel changed to a 9ft ( Bauer) radius? If so that is great. The CCM U10 fit way better then my Bauer 8090s.

I was just told that there is a difference with the blades from a CCM to a Bauer. That is my problem. My understanding is the CCM puts you on your heels and Bauer on the balls of you feet. I just got off the CCM website and it looks like they make different blades for just this reason. Ill call my local shop on Friday...For years they have been customizing my skates. Thanks

Some skates have a natural 'aggressive' stance like some models of Grafs and you can even argue Vapor into that, although most stock skates come in a neutral 10' radius by default.

Some skates have a natural 'aggressive' stance like some models of Grafs and you can even argue Vapor into that, although most stock skates come in a neutral 10' radius by default.

Thanks. I would need the CCM's to match my 8090's. I had that Maximum edge process done to my 8090's, and hope I can do that to the CCM steel. I just hope I do not need to change the holders out, but will if I have too. I have been fighting proper fit with Bauer's for years. These CCM U 10 are so comfortable out of the box......The last pair of skates that fit this well where my Bauer 5000's. I just started coaching and I cannot believe how many guys my age are complaining about new Bauer skates. I am glad I am not alone. I noticed a couple guys tonight with various boots brands with TUUK holders/blades. I have been skating since i was five and now 35....lets say I am used to the Bauer setup and it has worked well for me for years. Just to bad the new boot won't work with my wide feet....so long Bauer!!!

Most would say that the Bauers are more neutral in pitch, while CCMs are more forward.

You can have the steel that came with the skates profiled to either more or less pitch, and to any radius that you would like.

Most would say that the Bauers are more neutral in pitch, while CCMs are more forward.

You can have the steel that came with the skates profiled to either more or less pitch, and to any radius that you would like.

Good to hear. Thank you!

I would throw on a set of Tuuks if you really want to duplicate the feel of the Bauers. Personally I don't like the overall shape of the CCM steel.

I've always heard that Grafs are forward pitched, CCM/Reebok are fairly neutral and Bauer a bit reverse pitched. I've heard this many times. I know that when I switched from Eastons to Bauers years ago that I had to profile my blades with a forward pitch because I felt like I was on my heels.

If you would have bought a pair of new 8090's, with new steel, you still would have had issues, almost everyone who gets new skates, regardless of type holder steel, has an adjustment period because of the differences in old ground away steel vs new steel. Do what others suggest, have a 9' radius put on your CCMs and give it a whirl. Give it 4-6 skates for your body mechanics to adapt before you even think about swapping holders. Who knows, your 8090's could now have a 6 or 7' radius on them so even a 9' may need to adjustment time.

They actually where new when I got them. I took them to a guy I know and he profiles them and insures they are accurate using maximum edge process. I started looking for new skates after about 40 hours with the 8090's....the skates don't fit well anymore. My right ankle keeps slipping out. Does not matter how I tie them or how many times I kick my ankles back. I talked to my friend today and he explained the stance difference to me. He insured me that he could replicate the Bauer TUUK set up on the CCM's... He also feels that I will perform better with the CCM's. And Jimmy he did explain how over time the radius will change, but since he is the only one I let sharpen, he checks then radius/profile several times a year and makes corrections to the blades when necessary. For over ten years he has been working on my skates and that's why I am so picky now. He was referred to me when I started playing Midget AAA and it was his job to fine tune my Bauer 5000's and make sure my skates were as accurate as possible. He recommends to every player to find a good skate guy that can guarantee the accuracy of the blades.

There's a difference in 'feel' between the LS2 and E-Pro holders that you might wanna take into account, as well.

Is the E-pro stiffer?

I would throw on a set of Tuuks if you really want to duplicate the feel of the Bauers. Personally I don't like the overall shape of the CCM steel.

I've always heard that Grafs are forward pitched, CCM/Reebok are fairly neutral and Bauer a bit reverse pitched. I've heard this many times. I know that when I switched from Eastons to Bauers years ago that I had to profile my blades with a forward pitch because I felt like I was on my heels.

I just made the switch from Easton's to Bauer's last night (S17 --> One100). Definitely felt the different and felt like I too was on my heels. Thankfully I spent about 20 minutes skating around getting used to the feel. The jury is still out as to whether or not I'll leave the pitch as it stands or if I change it to feel more like the Easton's. I'm leaning toward leaving it because I did like feeling more balanced across my foot instead of being on the balls of my feet.

I just made the switch from Easton's to Bauer's last night (S17 --> One100). Definitely felt the different and felt like I too was on my heels. Thankfully I spent about 20 minutes skating around getting used to the feel. The jury is still out as to whether or not I'll leave the pitch as it stands or if I change it to feel more like the Easton's. I'm leaning toward leaving it because I did like feeling more balanced across my foot instead of being on the balls of my feet.

I took my CCM's out the other day and cannot get used to the CCM setup. I am currently putting Tuuk LS2 blades on them.

I'd like to add to this conversation a little with another questions.

If going from CCM's to Bauer LSpower on the one80's, what do I need to do to get a similar pitch to what I'm using for my bauers. I'd like to do a more long term solution with a heal lift, rather than profiling the steal. I've searched and can't find how much heal lift I need to get my Bauers to be the same pitch as my CCM's.

Thanks!

Bumping this, would really like to know the answer to my question.

What size lift is needed in tuuk ls2 to achieve the same pitch of an epro holder?

Just put e pro's on your one80's. I have LS2's on my CCM's, the guy that works on my skates, strongly suggested if I want the feel of a Bauer setup to use a Bauer holder/steel. I would assume this advice would work in reverse.

Just put e pro's on your one80's. I have LS2's on my CCM's, the guy that works on my skates, strongly suggested if I want the feel of a Bauer setup to use a Bauer holder/steel. I would assume this advice would work in reverse.

Problem with that. . . . is you're spending a ridiculous amount of money when you can just put lifts in the rear pilers of the holders. If I had an unlimited income, i'd do that.

Problem with that. . . . is you're spending a ridiculous amount of money when you can just put lifts in the rear pilers of the holders. If I had an unlimited income, i'd do that.

I understand that! Every pair of skates I buy, I have to add 200 bucks because of my alignment issues.