Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

2012 Bauer Hockey Catalogue

Gents,

This may be a dumb one (and hopefully not directly disobeying what JR has requested a few posts ago), but I don't see a LE skate in the current catalogue. If I recall correctly, they're usually holiday releases? And if so, any ideas as to which line will be selected for one this time around (Supreme vs. Nexus, since Vapor had the last one)? I apologize if this is the incorrect thread for a Q like this one - feel free to move/delete as necessary. Thanks, as always, and happy holidays.

I am curious about the description of the fit as "between a Flexlite and a 8090". My last pair of skates were bought for me (too big, and still ust a hair larger than I'd prefer) for me back in PeeWee more than 10 years ago: a used pair of super old Supreme Custom 1000 similar to these, though a lot more worn:

http://i.ebayimg.com...EOTv+!~~_35.JPG

I have never tried on an 8090, but the current Surpemes fit me well without heating. Because I am in no rush for a new pair, the traditional Nexus look especially the wider base of the tendon guard has really intrigued me.

For those that have had a chance to try the Nexus, how does the toe and heel width compare to a Supreme and Vapor skate.

anyone see the apx gloves early any real changes from x 60 gloves and when are they out :popcorn:

i liked the supreme skates better when they were plain black boot

also the nexus stick has a lot of of feature new to retail ie. g3 flex profile

So the description of the APX (p 11) calls the quarter material ALIVE instead of Curv Composite. Since we've already established that the two materials are the same, is the wording in the catalog simply Bauer neglecting to change the copy or is there a conscious reason they didn't change the wording in the APX description?

They probably did the same thing they did that was mentioned previously; took some pages from the 2011 catalogue and merged them into the 2012.

Wouldn't be the first time we've proof-read a catalogue for a manufacturer...

Well, I like the line up (as usual) for Bauer. The "G3" style on the sticks is my biggest point of interest. If it gives it a true wood feel will be something that I'd have to experience to get that feel again. Been years since I used a wood stick!!!!!

New Vapor APX glove, it's probably the lightest glove I've ever put on. If the sample is the same as the production models, it will amaze you. If only the Vapor gloves fit my hands.

Not a huge fan of the ReAkt helmet. A bunch of technology but still more flash than substance. Meh.

I was lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time the other day and got to try on a pair of Nexus 800. I'm a rec league player that played in High School(39 now) and that has a odd wide foot (wide forefoot, high volume that tapers quickly back to a normal/ slightly small ankle area). I got to put them on and wear them around (not skate) and let me tell you they are super comfortable. It's made for wider feet and the D width was pretty snug but I could have skated in them for a bit with discomfort. The rep said the 2E would fit my foot type perfectly. I can't even get into a Vapor 8D and can barely scrunch into a Supreme 8D, but no way could I walk around in them. So these do run wide.

Anyway, they are kind of a classic boot... Like a Vapor X60 gets crossed with an old school Supreme then given the insides of an older Graf. Its the same outer material as the previous X60's (Techmesh?) but with an interior construction like the Graf's with tan liner. It's thicker walled and the heel pocket has super comfy and thick foam/gel, just like my Graf 705's. Locked right in and was super snug with no slippage. The tan liner was nice and soft as well. The tongue had a nice thick felt (Thicker than my 705's), but seemed pretty flexible for a new skate. Not sure if that is a good thing or not, but it was very comfortable when laced tight. The rep said they were designed for people that don't care for the composite boots and had a wider forefoot but narrow/standard heel. Stiffness felt close to the X60 except was a little lighter from the top couple of eyelets up. Not sure why that was, but walking in them didn't feel like it lacked stiffness. For durability, they seemed like they would hold up well, but were heavier than the full composite models, though still plenty light. Another nice thing was the footbeds were the same as in the APX, toe cap flaps and all.

The 1000 was nice to, though it felt a lot like the T1 or APX, but not full composite. Hard to explain, but the interior was way thinner than the 800 and didn't offer as much padding. It really looked like I was looking inside an APX. We didn't talk much about it because it's out of my price range, but I came away with the impression that it was like a T1, but the outside was made of a different material.

Not a review of any sort, but thought I'd share some info. I had the shop owner order a pair of 800's 8EE for me as he was placing his overall order at the time. Day 1 purchase for me. :-)

It's true that JR doesn't actually say that the Nexus replaces the Flexlite, nor is it outlined in the catalog (although the Flexlite line is absent), but we here at ModSquad generally just assume that all members read every page of every thread or have a working crystal ball in their possession. Shame on you, ArrogantOwl.

All silliness aside, as someone who fit pretty well into Flexlites but was apprehensive about potential protective issues, I am genuinely excited for the Nexus skate line. They look great and hopefully protect slightly better than a skate blade mounted on a boot made of felt. Whether or not they'll be the skates that pull me out of CCMs for the first time in almost a decade remains to be seen.