Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mug25

Leg Workout for Hockey

Smoke and mirrors is a bit much. I'm not someone who says you should never do any jumping until you lift for X years, I said you reap full benefits when you are stronger. Wendler (whom I have been following for years and hold in high regard) only has beginner moves (two footed, non-dropping jumps) and low volume in the plan in that article.

What I rail against is when people ask for advice like here, are beginners, and ask for or are recommended all kinds of trendy solutions. For 99% of people who would be asking basic questions on a forum, basic answers would serve their needs best. Too much, "I've never lifted before, what supplements should I take?" or "Should I follow this new program?" For most people, they would benefit from the most basic program we could devise. They lose sight of basic lifts, skating to improve skating, working on skills to improve their hockey, etc.

I agree & well said.

All-too-often I see people wasting time in the weight room. Even if a guy is interested in hypertrophy, they focus on the wrong things: exercises that bodybuilders do after years and years of training in the basic, big lifts. Example: a guy who clearly has spent very little time training, and there he is curling madly (usually in the squat rack....lol) - why? He probably can't do a single decent pullup; or row, but he believes that if he "isolates" his biceps he's going to look huge. It's ludicrous. If he started with the basic movements, he'd make larger gains everywhere, including his arms. Look at gymnasts arms - do you think the stand around curling??? lol.

Another pet peeve of mine is seeing people doing endless benching - a good exercise no doubt, but many of these people can barely bang out more than five decent pushups. Your body is only as strong as it's weakest link folks. Besides, with all that benching they all have anteriorly rotated shoulders - not good. But see, they don't do enough horizontal pulling work because...well...they can't see the results in the mirror, etc.

And yeah, the smith machine - I did finally find a few uses for it: 1. reverse push ups (a great variation on the row) and some 2. ring work. Otherwise, a great place to hang your gear/cothes rack, etc.

Then go to Joe DeFranco's site and start the Westside for Skinny Bastards program, that's EXACTLY what it was designed for.

I would be good with reverse hypers (you need a machine) but just do stiff legged deadlifts instead of regular hypers, same movement, more weight, more overall body strength.

Bottom line- athletes train movement, bodybuilders train bodyparts.

DO you think this training regimen would be good for a guy like myself who needs to put on a little lean muscle mass and lean out as well?

For example. Say a 10 week body weight program while leaning out with a 6-8 week cycle of the skinny bastards program? I most definitely need to strengthen the posterior chain and I was thinking this might be a good idea.

DO you think this training regimen would be good for a guy like myself who needs to put on a little lean muscle mass and lean out as well?

For example. Say a 10 week body weight program while leaning out with a 6-8 week cycle of the skinny bastards program? I most definitely need to strengthen the posterior chain and I was thinking this might be a good idea.

It's designed to help the beginner who needs hypertrophy as well as strength. It gets rid of the speed days from Westside and replaces them with a repetition day to add some size. If you need to lose weight then I don't know you need a specialized lifting program. Lift and diet, WSFSB is not going to prevent you from losing weight. Maybe sled dragging would be a good addition, especially for hockey.

So after reading the posts, checking out a lot of the links I realize I'm already doing most of what you guys have said with the exception of Power Cleans and a few others. I'm trying to tailor my workout to meet different goals, Fat Loss, Muscle Gain, Hockey strengthening, Cardiovasuclar Endurance.

I do Squats, Split-Squats, Deadlift, Stiff-Leg Dead Lift, Bench Press, Shoulder Press. I will likely be weeding out a lot of the unncessary leg exercises that you guys mentioned in incorporating more squat type exercises.

Just curious, no one really mentioned lunges. Why is that?

Example: a guy who clearly has spent very little time training, and there he is curling madly (usually in the squat rack....lol) - why?

Biggest peeve in the gym....

Just curious, no one really mentioned lunges. Why is that?

Since you are already doing squats there's no need for lunges (esp if you are just starting out).

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but I see a lot of guys at the gym doing a lot of these compound lifts with improper form. Start light and spend time nailing down proper form and technique. You may not feel like you're working too hard at first, but you will progress quicker and more importantly, reduce the risk of injury when you're lifting heavier weights.

Mike Boyle has advocated using rear-leg elevated split squats in place of squats for hockey training because it is closer to the skating movement and allows for heavier loading of the leg. Check out his site for more info.

Mike Boyle has advocated using rear-leg elevated split squats in place of squats for hockey training because it is closer to the skating movement and allows for heavier loading of the leg. Check out his site for more info.

Boyle advocates single leg work in general for sports and esp hockey; his "king" of all single leg exercises though, is the single leg squat (off a box.) Not the split squat, which is good but not nearly as good as the single leg squat.

Biggest peeve in the gym....

Since you are already doing squats there's no need for lunges (esp if you are just starting out).

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but I see a lot of guys at the gym doing a lot of these compound lifts with improper form. Start light and spend time nailing down proper form and technique. You may not feel like you're working too hard at first, but you will progress quicker and more importantly, reduce the risk of injury when you're lifting heavier weights.

Lunges can be incorporated, as mentioned, one-legged movements are good for a variety of reasons.

Boyle likes one-legged squats, but for the majority regular will be more than sufficient.

Over the years I've battled some back injuries and I've found that with proper form I get just as an effective leg workout when doing single leg exercises. I no longer get into the squat rack (but I do miss it from time to time); for me, dumbell step-ups and walking lunges make up for what I'm missing with the classic squat.

Boyles argument is mainly that single leg squat recruitment patterns are quite different from those of the two legged squat; and mimic almost exactly the recruitment patterns in movements done on one leg: i.e., running/spring, skating, skiing...

One almost feels one is beating one's head against a myth that just won't go away: the presumption that the double leg squat is the main movemvent - and the single leg squat is kind of a poorer/easier version.

This couldn't be more false - historically, experientially, mechanically.

In almost every way - even if you're trying to build muscle - the single leg squat is superior.

And yes, it's safer for one's back as well. The spinal loads when you really start pushing weight under bar can get quite dangerous. There doesn't seem to be a huge benefit-to-risk ratio.

Boyles argument is mainly that single leg squat recruitment patterns are quite different from those of the two legged squat; and mimic almost exactly the recruitment patterns in movements done on one leg: i.e., running/spring, skating, skiing...

One almost feels one is beating one's head against a myth that just won't go away: the presumption that the double leg squat is the main movemvent - and the single leg squat is kind of a poorer/easier version.

This couldn't be more false - historically, experientially, mechanically.

In almost every way - even if you're trying to build muscle - the single leg squat is superior.

And yes, it's safer for one's back as well. The spinal loads when you really start pushing weight under bar can get quite dangerous. There doesn't seem to be a huge benefit-to-risk ratio.

Another part of his main argument is that fact that the back reaches max load before the legs. And what's been left out is that he admits he still hasn't found the ideal way to load for single leg squats. You are going to see huge results squatting, don't major in the minors.

Sorry to be dense, but

single leg squats

single leg squat off a box

split squats

rear-leg elevated split squats

bulgarian squats

Are these all different forms? Is there a video that you would recommend, because it seems like a lot of contradictory noise on youtube.

Sorry to be dense, but

single leg squats

single leg squat off a box

split squats

rear-leg elevated split squats

bulgarian squats

Are these all different forms? Is there a video that you would recommend, because it seems like a lot of contradictory noise on youtube.

You aren't dense, there are lots of variations on movements and they all can be beneficial, but stick to the basics. I think Mike Boyle has some vids on his site or you can find them on the web.

Another part of his main argument is that fact that the back reaches max load before the legs.

That's very true.

And what's been left out is that he admits he still hasn't found the ideal way to load for single leg squats.

Very true indeed. However, this doesn't present that much of a problem for someone relatively new to squats: almost always they have problems even performing unweighted single leg squats. And very few peeps outgrow the use of dumbells; and fewer still outgrow weighted vests (100lbs+)

Interestingly, if you're two-legged squating, say 400lbs; that does not translate into a 200lb single leg squat.

Sorry to be dense, but

single leg squats = general term for squatting on one leg

single leg squat off a box = a specific kind of single leg squat (see vids below), and one of the best ways to do true single leg squats; other wise you have to do a pistol (google it), which is a great exercise but I think has some limitations. The reason being, your other leg has to go somewhere, right?

split squats = semi-supported, with non-working leg on the ground behind or a bench or whatnot

rear-leg elevated split squats = a split squat with the rear leg elevated on a bench/box

bulgarian squats = same thing as the rear-leg elevated split squats

Briefly answered above in blue^

Here's a decent article with some vids: http://www.t-nation....ingle_leg_squat

There are many different styles and forms of squatting - it can get fairly technical. The nice thing about the single leg (off a box) squat is that it's fairly easy to learn - yet hugely challenging and just about the best functional exercise for increasing strength/stability/explosive force on the ice. I'd focus on that; if you want to add in something else, try front squats.

The other exercise I think is hugely important is the deadlift, and two kinds: 1. single leg deadlifts, 2. trapbar deadlifts: here's a great article on the trapbar deadlift (and good series by Cressey on the deadlift in general): http://www.ericcress...ap-bar-deadlift

I am most definitely not trying to hijack so I started a new thread about nutrition while working out like this while skating. I am hoping the guys who have contributed here may have some info for that as well.

This topic has been some of the best info I have been able to find for hockey strength training! Thanks!

I am most definitely not trying to hijack so I started a new thread about nutrition while working out like this while skating. I am hoping the guys who have contributed here may have some info for that as well.

This topic has been some of the best info I have been able to find for hockey strength training! Thanks!

Def worthy of a sticky. I see you and I are in a similar boat.

I'm a believer in the single leg workouts. I hit the gym 2x a week and do single leg squats, single leg deadlifts, pull ups, push ups, and military dumbbell presses standing on one leg. That's it. Started this routine 3 weeks ago and am happy with the results thus far.

I don't want to thread jack, but I've got a question in a somewhat similar area so here goes. Lately I've noticed that I've been losing a bit of both hip and low-back mobility and flexibility, in all planes (mostly front to back and rotational). I've been attempting to work on it with foam rolling and some stretching but have been seeing limited results. Does anyone have any good ways of increasing hip and low-back mobility/flexibility?

I don't want to thread jack, but I've got a question in a somewhat similar area so here goes. Lately I've noticed that I've been losing a bit of both hip and low-back mobility and flexibility, in all planes (mostly front to back and rotational). I've been attempting to work on it with foam rolling and some stretching but have been seeing limited results. Does anyone have any good ways of increasing hip and low-back mobility/flexibility?

Yoga. Start with a basic DVD or better still take a class or 2.