Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bar down

player dies on bench in carp (ottawa) hockey rink.

Standard response to the trite statement. I'm pretty sure the poster I responded to didn't spend time on bended knee with hands folded or light a candle for the poor soul who moved on. Was it a shitty thing that happened? Absolutely, and if I knew the kid or his family and friends then I would express my heartfelt condolences to them.

I hate hearing these stories about seemingly healthy people who die suddenly, especially at such a young age. It reminds you how little control we really have over our lives. I'll admit that when I do see these stories, a part of me selfishly hopes there is some preventable underlying cause for why it happened, like the person was overweight or using drugs or something. Anything that makes it seem less random and that as long as I don't display those risk factors I'm immune to something like this. But the truth is you just never really know how long you have.

Standard response to the trite statement. I'm pretty sure the poster I responded to didn't spend time on bended knee with hands folded or light a candle for the poor soul who moved on. Was it a shitty thing that happened? Absolutely, and if I knew the kid or his family and friends then I would express my heartfelt condolences to them.

:facepalm: Thankfully, you're not the judge of the hearts of men. I really hope you're just having a bad day, man. Others, I join you in feeling for this kid's family/friends. Becoming aware of the suffering of others and having a means of relating opens us to feel compassion.

compassion: noun; sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others.

I hate hearing these stories about seemingly healthy people who die suddenly, especially at such a young age. It reminds you how little control we really have over our lives. I'll admit that when I do see these stories, a part of me selfishly hopes there is some preventable underlying cause for why it happened, like the person was overweight or using drugs or something. Anything that makes it seem less random and that as long as I don't display those risk factors I'm immune to something like this. But the truth is you just never really know how long you have.

I'm overweight, so thats cool to know how you feel if I ever die on the ice. I'm an overweight fit person how ever. Oxymoron? Possibly. I know my limits how ever. It is a shame, but there is always an underlying problem when it is such a young age like this. As sad as it is, my condolences, but it seems like every week or two there is a hockey related death now, When my time comes, it will come. Off the ice or on. Might as well die doing something I loved.

I don't think he meant to target heavy people as somehow deserving to die. It's just that being overweight is known to have all kinds of negative consequences, especially to one's cardiopulmonary system. I think it's comforting to be able to know why something happened as well, as opposed to a lot of these deaths that seem to result from heart defects that cannot be diagnosed prior to a life ending event like these. If you know why something happens you can take reasonable steps to prevent it from happening to you, if you can't then it's just a gamble.

Wow. First, I'll say that I am indeed saddened for the friends, family, and loved ones left behind. (I often, if not always, find myself praying for those left behind in similar situations even if it's just something I read about. But, that's just me.) Second, I'd say that since the kid died playing hockey - and that this is, after all, a site comprised mainly of hockey players - that it's okay for us to take a bit of a vested interest in a story like this as we're out there doing the same thing ourselves. I don't feel that it is out disrespect or lack of compassion for any and all others that this may be brought to attention... simply a matter of similitude.

As to health-related issues... At age 15, cardiac arrest was most likely the result of something congenital. But, you just never do know.

On a personal and thread-related note... I've spent years of my life on both sides of the fence (significantly overweight and, currently, well within my acceptable BMI range) One of the things I have found most amazing in comparing the two is just how much harder my heart used to have to work when I was heavy. Doing just about any physical activity was a lot of strain on the ol' pump house before. I was in "good shape". But, there is no denying I had higher risk for many issues, including even "sudden death". I'd rather see anyone out there playing than sitting around eating Doritos. But, definitely have a healthy respect for just what you're asking of your body out there and act accordingly. :smile:

I don't think he meant to target heavy people as somehow deserving to die. It's just that being overweight is known to have all kinds of negative consequences, especially to one's cardiopulmonary system. I think it's comforting to be able to know why something happened as well, as opposed to a lot of these deaths that seem to result from heart defects that cannot be diagnosed prior to a life ending event like these. If you know why something happens you can take reasonable steps to prevent it from happening to you, if you can't then it's just a gamble.

Exactly what I was saying. I certainly don't want anything bad to happen to anyone, but if you can put a reason to it then it helps people feel better, as opposed to just being something totally random and completely unpreventable. I just threw overweight and drug use out there as examples b/c those two came quickly to mind.

Usually when something like this happens it turns out being related to some undiagnosed heart defect. I highly doubt weight or drugs will be found to be the cause.

I doubt it too. In fact I'd bet my life savings that it was a congenital heart defect like you hear about every so often. My point from my original post was that these types of seemingly random, unforeseeable deaths are scary, so I selfishly hope to hear that the victim had some kind of preventable condition; one which I could take steps to prevent in myself, thus rendering myself immune from a similar death. It's irrational for sure, but it's how my mind works. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Usually when something like this happens it turns out being related to some undiagnosed heart defect. I highly doubt weight or drugs will be found to be the cause.

It usually ends up being endocardiac myopathy. An enlarged septum in the heart. It killed a friend of mine that was 27 and had a six pack, so as far as the unhealthy people theory, that kinda goes out the window. Endocardiac myopathy is the same congenital condition that drops pro athletes and marathon runners year in and year out. The sad thing is...most won't know they have it until they push too hard and throw their heart into a funky rhythm never to return. At least he went out with his boots on. RIP