Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirsch

Experience with Pro Stock Skates

I'm looking at a pair of pro-stock skates on ebay. These will be my first pair of ice hockey skates. What are your experiences with using pro-stock skates? Would you advise someone to use pro-stock if it were their first pair of skates?

I have used plenty of other pro-stock equipment previously, but never skates, and am a bit concerned at what I could potentially be getting.

pro stock skates are probably one of the worst things to buy considering they are "custom" made for somebody elses feet

if you are fortunate to have the EXACT same everything feet wise as a NHLer and know this well, kudos

It would be much better for you to go to an LHS and get fitted for your first pair of skates. You don't know what you are getting with pro customs and more than likely its more skate than you need. Starting out, you need something that fits your feet.

It would be much better for you to go to an LHS and get fitted for your first pair of skates. You don't know what you are getting with pro customs and more than likely its more skate than you need. Starting out, you need something that fits your feet.

I agree.

Well they aren't my first pair of skates, just first pair of ice skates.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger because they were low enough in price that I can gamble on them.

I'll never understand why people ask for advice, on ANY topic, if they are going to just disregard said advice and do what they had planned on doing from the start?

I'll never understand why people ask for advice, on ANY topic, if they are going to just disregard said advice and do what they had planned on doing from the start?

Just because he ended up buying the skate, doesn't mean he disregarded the advice. I'd say that he took it into consideration, got all the specs, and like he said, they were cheap enough to take a chance on.

At the very least, always ask the seller to verify the size and width on BOTH skates...

I did, and they are both the same size/width. The player in question is also my same height and near my weight, if that matters at all.

Just because he ended up buying the skate, doesn't mean he disregarded the advice. I'd say that he took it into consideration, got all the specs, and like he said, they were cheap enough to take a chance on.

I definitely took it into consideration, and wouldn't have bought them, but they went for $25, which I feel is an acceptable risk.

Hopefully he actually got a pair of pro stock skates...

If they aren't pro stock, they are at least CCM U+ "Crazy Light" skates, and I found pictures of the player wearing this model of skate.

I did, and they are both the same size/width. The player in question is also my same height and near my weight, if that matters at all.

Actual foot shape varies wildly. 25 bucks is cheap enough, but I would be surprised if they were A) U+CLs, and B) not in absolutely awful condition.

B) not in absolutely awful condition.

This is what I'm most worried about. The pictures showed some wear, but they still looked like they were in decent condition.

lol you might receive a runner.

Good luck though, you might actually have bagged the bargain of the century you never know :)

I'm guessing he's talking about these. Looks like you'll have to spend another $50-60 on steel.

Yes I agree. I question the pro stock aspect, unless some hack sharpener got to them after they left the STARS, wow what a terrible job on the steel, almost sharpened down to plastic. I would hope a equipment manager/team wouldn't be sharpening them like that. Anyway, good deal for $25!

Yes I agree. I question the pro stock aspect, unless some hack sharpener got to them after they left the STARS, wow what a terrible job on the steel, almost sharpened down to plastic. I would hope a equipment manager/team wouldn't be sharpening them like that. Anyway, good deal for $25!

Some pros get them sharpened between periods. That's a lot of cuts over an 82 game season.

Those look to be in a really rough shape. Looks like it may have been pro stock at one point, then had another owner after that. Even the eyelets are missing most of their paint.