Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

woody31

Why do people hate the Canucks?

This thread isn't about Boston though, it's about Vancouver. If you have issues with a team, why not start a "Why do people hate the Bruins?" thread? Replying to an "I hate the Canucks because x" with "But other teams do x too!" is just a waste of space and not really on-topic.

It's funny because in other threads when someone states their opinion and its against the Bruins you get jumped on so I'm doing the same here. By all means your free to state your opinion but when people state reasons which are widely applicable to all teams, I'm just here to show you that the reasons why some of you hate a team is the exact same things that your team does. I'm sure some have seen this but it was the best single video that captured the Bruin hypocrisy and best diving routines. If your gonna say I hate a team because they dive, take a good look up and down your favourite team's roster and honestly ask yourself, Is any player on this team capable or willing to "cheat" to win? When its do or die a lot of rules go by the wayside and this can be best exemplified by last years Champions.

Sorry can't watch any videos by that liberal scumbag John Stewart.

Sorry can't watch any videos by that liberal scumbag John Stewart.

Just for clarification: Is he a scumbag because he is a liberal? Or is he a scumbag who coincidentally also happens to be a liberal?

We could call it (returning partly to the topic at hand...) the Tim Thomas Forum for Uninformed Political Diatribe.

Incidentally, I think a lot of teams now hate the Canucks because they got Sami Pahlsson for surprisingly little.

We need a political section btw.

This site is about bringing people together, not wedge issues like religion or politics. We have enough of those when it comes to Vancouver, Crosby, Ovechkin, etc...

That video is not by John Stweart in case you just cruised past it without viewing it. The Video creator made it using John Stewart (Who regardless of yours and his political viewpoints is frikkin Hilarious!) as comedy.

That video summed up my feelings on the Bruis last year. They did the same amount (ish) of whining as the Nucks and were allowed to get away with their thuggsh over-aggressive play, by both non-calls (which incidentally went both ways) and the Canucks complete inability to score on the PP. Good for them- They won (Earned) The Cup and the Nucks didn't.

But this is a why people hate the Nucks thread, and so instead of pointing elsewhere, or to another team or coach or character I'll just point at the score board. (minor troll there ;) )

DIV GP W L OT P ROW GF GA Diff Home Away S/O L10 Streak
1 x - NY Rangers ATL 79 50 22 7 107 46 218 175 +43 27-11-2 23-11-5 4-5 6-4-0 Lost 1
2 y - Vancouver NW 79 49 21 9 107 42 239 191 +48 25-10-4 24-11-5 7-7 7-2-1 Won 6
3 y - St Louis CEN 79 48 21 10 106 44 204 156 +48 30-5-4 18-16-6 4-9 4-3-3 Lost 1
4 x - Pittsburgh ATL 79 48 25 6 102 39 268 214 +54 27-10-2 21-15-4 9-3 5-4-1 Lost 1

PS I fail at copying and posting stats.

That's a terrible argument. If people hated the Canucks becuase they are in second place, then why don't they hate the Rangers, who are in first? (I see your minor troll, and raise you).

But this is a why people hate the Nucks thread, and so instead of pointing elsewhere, or to another team or coach or character I'll just point at the score board. (minor troll there ;) )

As I've said in the past, the fact that none of the other teams in their division are going to make the playoffs doesn't really help your case. In fact, what Nashville and Chicago did against the Central is more impressive than Vancouver beating up on the weakest division in the league.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/type/vs-division/group/2

Chadd, c'mon, that's weak. If I had time I could pull facts on every team and fin facts on why theyre in the position they are. Be it, injuries, shoot out victories, quantity of PP's, you can go one forever. I'm sure Chicago had their fair share of easy wins. However, yes I respect what Chicago has done without Toews. The Blues were crap until Hitchcock came in. I don't think you get any easy wins in the NHL. I'm happy with how the Nucks handled the Hawks, Bruins, Flyers, Wings an other top squads this year better than they did last year.

My disdain for the Canucks has nothing to do with the fact that they are in second place. They won the Presidents' Trophy last year and I didn't truly harbor ill will towards them until the SCF.

Yeah, people don't hate the Canucks because they've won the President's Trophy. I don't think anyone really celebrates the President's Trophy anyway. Well, except for the Canucks because that's all they've won.

Chadd, c'mon, that's weak. If I had time I could pull facts on every team and fin facts on why theyre in the position they are. Be it, injuries, shoot out victories, quantity of PP's, you can go one forever. I'm sure Chicago had their fair share of easy wins. However, yes I respect what Chicago has done without Toews. The Blues were crap until Hitchcock came in. I don't think you get any easy wins in the NHL. I'm happy with how the Nucks handled the Hawks, Bruins, Flyers, Wings an other top squads this year better than they did last year.

People said the same thing about the wings when the rest of the central was crap. It's only fair to point out that no other team in their division will make the playoffs.

Well, except for the Canucks because that's all they've won.

Discussion is one thing,but we can do without the trash talk.

I agree Chadd, alot of Things are not equally balanced in the NHL, many times the best teams don't win. We could easily say that the East is alot softer than the West. At least that's what the analysts say.

Discussion is one thing,but we can do without the trash talk.

Not really trash talk. It is both true and exactly what two Canucks fans are touting right here. And that goes to my point that there's a certain annoying arrogance coming from Vancouver fans who point to accomplishments that most people care very little about as proof of their team's excellence. Boston and Washington are two recent President's Trophy winners and none of their fans are running around talking about "the scoreboard." Both of those teams failed to with the Cup in the year they won the President's Trophy and both fan bases would pretty much say that those seasons were failures. Not Vancouver fans though.... right?

I agree Chadd, alot of Things are not equally balanced in the NHL, many times the best teams don't win. We could easily say that the East is alot softer than the West. At least that's what the analysts say.

I wouldn't say that. Each conference has one weak division, the difference is that in the west there is one strong team in the weak division. I think just about any team that makes the playoffs has a legitimate shot to win the cup. It all comes down to matchups.

Not really trash talk.

It's either trash talk or trolling. Neither is acceptable.

I think finishing tops in the NHL is a great accomplishment regardless. If the Blues or Rangers take the Presidents trophy that would be an incredible feat in my opinion. If Vancouver wins it again, yes I would be happy but we've been there, done that last year. Canucks expectations are higher than that. Its just the next step in progression. Yes, im confident in the Canucks because they're are among the top teams in the league. If thats what you consider arrogance, sure label me arrogant. But I know that we can also be eliminated in round 1. That's the thing abou the playoffs, it's a different animal.

I think finishing tops in the NHL is a great accomplishment regardless. If the Blues or Rangers take the Presidents trophy that would be an incredible feat in my opinion. If Vancouver wins it again, yes I would be happy but we've been there, done that last year. Canucks expectations are higher than that. Its just the next step in progression. Yes, im confident in the Canucks because they're are among the top teams in the league. If thats what you consider arrogance, sure label me arrogant. But I know that we can also be eliminated in round 1. That's the thing abou the playoffs, it's a different animal.

Yeah, it's great, but to say people hate the Canucks just because they are in second place or because they were in first place last season is ridiculous.

Yeah, it's great, but to say people hate the Canucks just because they are in second place or because they were in first place last season is ridiculous.

They have finished with over 100 points every season since 2002-2003.

I don't hate the Canucks because of their standings or how good they are. Obviously they are a pretty damn talented team (with a highly overrated goalie, though he clearly has the capacity to get it done - usually...)

I hate them because they act like immature babies, and even more so because their fans defend that kind of play by pointing at other teams who occasionally do it too. That's like saying the Rangers are full of divers and turtles just because they had Avery. The Rangers are NOT a team of divers and turtles, they are a very good, hard working team.

The difference with Vancouver is that they act like that ALL THE TIME. Not just one player, the half the damn team it seems like. One pest is effective (look at Steve Webb way back during the Islanders/Leafs series in the early 2000s. I dont think I've ever seen a more useless player be so effective on the ice!), but a whole team of them just makes you look bad.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I was rooting for Vancouver until about half way through the SCF when it became very clear that they didn't deserve to win that prestigious championship trophy. They were horribly outplayed, and the clown act made it very easy to root for their opposition. I hadn't realized how ridiculous they were until I wasn't rooting for them anymore - it's amazing how clouded your judgement can be when it's "your" team.

They have finished with over 100 points every season since 2002-2003.

All fantastic. That's seriously wonderful. Again, a lot of people didn't start disliking them until the finals last year.