Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

woody31

Why do people hate the Canucks?

One of the CBC broadcasters brought this up during an "After Hours" interview regarding the Canucks being perceived as one of the most hated teams. So I looked up because it fits perfectly. This is what Ken Hitchcock had to say.

"It's because they win," Hitchcock said of the hated status. "Want to be liked? Start losing and everybody will love you. You think we were liked in Dallas? San Jose wanted to strangle us. As for Boston, you get to brag for a while until somebody knocks you off your perch. You get to toy with them [Canucks] now because you have status."

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/sports/story.html?id=5990312

So maybe if they keep playing the way they did in game 1 and get knocked out then people will find a new team to hate.

As for the broadcasters in the US, they are so biased it's unbelievable that they're on the air/tv. I understand you need to grow the game in some cities but they constantly take shots at the opposing team, even degrading them, it's pathetic and a stupid way to try and increase fan base. On TSN and CBC the broadcasters are pretty neutral but you can subtly tell who their favorites are by the emotion in their voices. For instance I think Bob Cole favors the Pens, Habs, and Oilers but never does be insult the opposing teams.

I'd love to see people shut the fuck up for once, but that won't happen, especially when the US broadcats are so incredibly biased.

I don't understand this post. Are you saying that you think people should shut the fuck up about the Canucks? Why?

One of the CBC broadcasters brought this up during an "After Hours" interview regarding the Canucks being perceived as one of the most hated teams. So I looked up because it fits perfectly. This is what Ken Hitchcock had to say.

"It's because they win," Hitchcock said of the hated status. "Want to be liked? Start losing and everybody will love you. You think we were liked in Dallas? San Jose wanted to strangle us. As for Boston, you get to brag for a while until somebody knocks you off your perch. You get to toy with them [Canucks] now because you have status."

http://www.theprovin...html?id=5990312

So maybe if they keep playing the way they did in game 1 and get knocked out then people will find a new team to hate.

As for the broadcasters in the US, they are so biased it's unbelievable that they're on the air/tv. I understand you need to grow the game in some cities but they constantly take shots at the opposing team, even degrading them, it's pathetic and a stupid way to try and increase fan base. On TSN and CBC the broadcasters are pretty neutral but you can subtly tell who their favorites are by the emotion in their voices. For instance I think Bob Cole favors the Pens, Habs, and Oilers but never does be insult the opposing teams.

Actually, the NBC/Versus crew was pretty solidly in the tank for the Canucks at the beginning of the finals last year.

As I said before, I don't think people hate the Canucks because they're successful. They are one of a few teams that I think most of the rest of the league likes to hate. The Penguins are another that spring to mind. There are other successful teams out there that people don't widely hate - like the Red Wings and the Devils, for instance. And they're two teams that have actually had a fair bit of success in the past 2 decades too. What the Canucks (and Penguins) seem to have that sets them apart is an inflated sense of entitlement, management who like to make a lot of statements into microphones that are easily viewed as hypocritical, and more than their fair share of players who rub other fans the wrong way.

Plus it makes it so easy to laugh at the Canucks and their fans when they spend much of the year trying to convince everyone else that they're not soft, embellishing floppers only to have their "gritty leader" Kesler pirouette to the ice in the very first game of the playoffs.

Frankly, in my opinion, what the Canucks need is actual leadership. Luongo never should have been named captain. And Henrik Sedin is a good player, but the captain shouldn't be standing idly by on the far side of the net while the rest of the team goes after a player for wacking Luongo with his stick. He's soft and no leader. Kesler would seem to be the most natural choice, except that he's spent the past year trading grit for theatrics. Watch the replay of the Burrows goal in game one and see Kesler bump Quick and throw his head back. That's not grit. That's pathetic. The Red Wings are a skill team that seems to have done pretty well without all the acting. Perhaps the Canucks should watch them more carefully.

Henrik is an unquestionable leader. I don't care what anyone says.Kesler has dissapointed me this season and I don't know if he's frustrated or what. He should've emerged as a leader this season, maybe his injury set him back psychologically as well, who knows.

Once again we are going in circles about the idiot fans you appear to encounter. Get used to it and don't pin their views on the teams. It's a few morons, every team has those type of fans.

Alot of people hated the Wings during their spell, people hated Draper, Chelios, Ciccirelli etc. you only look back now and remember the guys who stood out and they happened to be classy guys like Yzerman, Zetterberg, Lidstrom etc.

Whatever you can hate/like whoever you want. I have my reasons why I hate the Bruins, Crosby, and until this year I hated the leafs but now it's reverted to feeling bad for them. I find truth in Hithcocks statement.

That fact is that the Canucks have had the most points two years straight and teams/announcers/media and fans scrutinize and try to fabricate ways that they didn't deserve to be number 1 in order to lose the disparity between their team and others, trying to justify why they're just as good.

Henrik is an unquestionable leader. I don't care what anyone says.Kesler has dissapointed me this season and I don't know if he's frustrated or what. He should've emerged as a leader this season, maybe his injury set him back psychologically as well, who knows.

I just questioned him. LOL :smile: .

One thing that strikes me after reading all the responses is, "Who cares whether other people like or hate my team?????"

This is the one thing that has always gotten me. I don't why people freak out when they find out that their team isn't liked. However, that's exactly why the "Dirtiest Team" thread got locked up. Some people took offense to people having opinions. I don't see why you need to whine and argue because someone doesn't agree with you. People will see what they want to see, and think what they want to think. It doesn't matter what someone says, it won't change. No need to fuss about it.

I don't like the Canucks for certain reasons just like I don't like other teams for different reasons. No need to get up in arms about it.

This is the one thing that has always gotten me. I don't why people freak out when they find out that their team isn't liked. However, that's exactly why the "Dirtiest Team" thread got locked up. Some people took offense to people having opinions. I don't see why you need to whine and argue because someone doesn't agree with you. People will see what they want to see, and think what they want to think. It doesn't matter what someone says, it won't change. No need to fuss about it.

I don't like the Canucks for certain reasons just like I don't like other teams for different reasons. No need to get up in arms about it.

I don't think arguments are a problem when they're backed up by reasoning and evidence. When people argue points that the facts clearly don't bear out or just randomly say inflammatory things, then that's where the issue arises.

I don't think arguments are a problem when they're backed up by reasoning and evidence. When people argue points that the facts clearly don't bear out or just randomly say inflammatory things, then that's where the issue arises.

Facts and everything are debatable but the issue in a thread like this one and the other one is they are based on feeling. There isn't a set guideline for what is dirty and what isn't, or why you don't like a team. That's all personal. In something like these, it's better to just let someone say what they want and forget about it if you don't agree. At least, that's what I do. Haha

Cory Schneider offered his opinion on why people hate the canucks:

In trying to explain how he thought the Canucks have been painted in a negative way by the media, Schneider pointed out that being a hated team simply comes with the territory of being the Presidents' Trophy winners.

"Nobody cares about Edmonton so nobody hates them. It's that simple," Schneider told NBC Sports.

I rest my case.

Pretty much sums it up. Plenty of other teams I don't like too, and I know damn well pretty much nobody likes the Leafs. But again, this is a thread about the Canucks.

Maybe I should ask some of the Kings fans tonight at the game what they think. That would be fun.

If you think the Canucks "rioters" are bad, you should see what the Lakers fans do to L.A. .... lol it's hilarious.

Maybe I should ask some of the Kings fans tonight at the game what they think. That would be fun.

If you think the Canucks "rioters" are bad, you should see what the Lakers fans do to L.A. .... lol it's hilarious.

"rioters"?

I wouldn't use quotes. Those actually were riots. Look up the word.

"A riot is a form of civil disorder characterized often by what is thought of as disorganized groups lashing out in a sudden and intense rash of violence against authority, property or people."

http://farm4.staticf...b6431d8d7_z.jpg

This was actually a riot.

https://encrypted-tb...JV9x2MlYqD9MuUQ

This is actually diving, flopping AND embellishing, all at once.

Actually "an example" of why some people find Canucks fans a little ridiculous. :wink:

Gr*erade, much of the conversation in this thread fits under the title. You keep dragging it back to the fans and their behaviour. If that's what you want to focus on, start your own thread.

Gr*erade, much of the conversation in this thread fits under the title. You keep dragging it back to the fans and their behaviour. If that's what you want to focus on, start your own thread.

This particular topic has been widely discussed this week in the mainstream hockey media. If you feel like reading it, you'll notice that its not just the team and their antics that other people hate. A lot of people find their fanbase irritating as well, and that translates into and fuels further dislike for the franchise. So yes, the fans and their behavior does have something to do with "why people hate the Canucks."

This particular topic has been widely discussed this week in the mainstream hockey media. If you feel like reading it, you'll notice that its not just the team and their antics that other people hate. A lot of people find their fanbase irritating as well, and that translates into and fuels further dislike for the franchise. So yes, the fans and their behavior does have something to do with "why people hate the Canucks."

Honestly, the fans and the way they act are probably one of the biggest reasons.

"A riot is a form of civil disorder characterized often by what is thought of as disorganized groups lashing out in a sudden and intense rash of violence against authority, property or people."

http://farm4.staticf...b6431d8d7_z.jpg

This was actually a riot.

https://encrypted-tb...JV9x2MlYqD9MuUQ

This is actually diving, flopping AND embellishing, all at once.

Actually "an example" of why some people find Canucks fans a little ridiculous. :wink:

Looks like you spent a lot of time on this, despite the fact that I clearly didn't care in the first place.

Good work. :wacko:

Looks like you spent a lot of time on this, despite the fact that I clearly didn't care in the first place.

Good work. :wacko:

Assuming I used the total amount of time between your post and mine, not long. Do you know how many images come up when you google "Kesler diving" and "Canucks riots"? Pretty much just leaps right out at you. :wink:

I guess it is better to be hated than to be irrelevant, but I suspect that there will be more people who feel sorry for the Canucks than hate them soon enough.

On a barely related note, I miss Markus Naslund. That guy brought a degree of class and grace to the team that it just doesn't have right now.

David Booth is the man! Representing Michigan. Was sad to see the nucks loose to the Kings, was really hoping David would get a shot a the cup this year. Guess there is always next year.