Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MattKingDelToro

CCM RBZ - Powered by TaylorMade

Dig up the old thread on the RBK "O" sticks. There's posts about how revolutionary the speed holes will be, and how that's gonna be the direction other stick companies go. That was before he 9KO was ever released...just like the RBZ now. Two versions later the speed holes are missing from the RBK line. Did they work? In some ways yes, they affected how the stick flexed. Did they actually reduce wind resistance and increase swing speed, not in any noticeable way. But the only way to know for sure was to use it.

I'm not trying to be a kill-joy or call out anyone in particular in any way, but getting all amped up and trying to either hype or discredit a stick without having used it is nonsensical.

I missed this part, when i was justg checking to see if there were replies....

The speed holes concept was hysterical, before samples came out. this is an excellent example for the point i made regarding the rbz.... did the holes reduce drag on the stick? most likely. enough to make a difference? heeeellllllllll no. my gut says the rbz will be like that. better restorative force on the blade face? sure, its possible. will it help? I'm leaning toward no.

I hope they bring some to summer jam and prove me wrong, though!

The flex profile of the shaft is also slightly different than what is out now. It will be a constant flex profile so there are no real engineered flex points and it will just flex wherever it needs to flex based on where your hands are. This can allow for more loading and increased velocity, while possibly decreasing the super quick release from a low kick.

Some who like the real low kick sticks may not like this feel, however, it sounds much of like what they're doing with the Nexus stick and those that like a more mid kick stick will likely like it as well.

The flex on the sample I saw was definitely interesting (keeping in mind that this was a sample). I agree that anyone looking for a lower kick might be disappointed, but it felt to me like it would be a bit more forgiving of a stick for those that have a hard time properly loading when taking a shot.

I really don't see how this technology is supposed to work. In golf it's a real impact between the club face and the ball, you can see how the "trampoline effect" would really matter, but in hockey the puck and the blade are together for quite a long time, you don't want the puck "trampolining" off immediately after impact, you want that extended contact throughout the stick flex.

For example, here's a slow motion video of a golf swing, you can see how the ball flies off immediately after impact:

But it's totally different in hockey. Here's a snap shot, the puck and blade are in contact for a long time, having the puck ping off the blade due to a sort of bouncy surface would just screw up the shot:

[media=]

For further reference, here's a slow-mo slap shot as well, the puck and blade are still in contact for quite awhile as the stick flexes:

youtube.c om/watch?v=eX1RMlBUEJI

(you'll have to copy and paste that on into your browser with the space taken out between the "c" and "o", MSH only allows 2 embedded YT videos per post)

Baseball, the other sport to use this "trampoline effect" (with composite bats, at least) also involves the ball being launched immediately after first contact:

youtube.c om/watch?v=NrpyBrbu8co

(again, remove the space between the "c" and "o")

----------------------

Basically, this RBZ thing seems like a total gimmick to me, I'm highly sceptical that this will actually improve shot speed. Having a face that compacts and expands super quickly makes a lot of sense for golf or baseball, but not for hockey where the shot is totally different, more of a fling with extended puck contact than a sudden strike.

I saw on one of those sports science shows that during a slap shot the stick blade will hit the puck 3-4 times during the course of the shot.

I saw on one of those sports science shows that during a slap shot the stick blade will hit the puck 3-4 times during the course of the shot.

You also used to be able to see that happen in one of the old NBH shooting videos.

Used my prostock RBZ this morning at a stick time. Overall had a nice feel to it. The lie was a little low compared to what I usually use so my slappers are still a bit off but by the end I was getting the handle on those and the puck was popping of the stick with ease. So far I'm intrigued by it. Take this with a grain of salt as again this is a prostock.

So if it contacts once and pushes the puck further, successive contact becomes increasingly difficult, no? It pushes it further, if i am to believe the higher restorative force.... by moving the puck a little further away from the blade, could it not actually decrease the energy transfer from the shaft?

So if it contacts once and pushes the puck further, successive contact becomes increasingly difficult, no? It pushes it further, if i am to believe the higher restorative force.... by moving the puck a little further away from the blade, could it not actually decrease the energy transfer from the shaft?

Would the acceleration of the blade after the first initial impact make a difference?

They had them at the NHL Draft in a "speed shot" booth. Took a few shots but it was with street hockey balls, so hard to say about feel or anything, but the stick seemed to be weighted very well and just felt balance in my hands!

So apparently there is going to be an RBZ 60 released with the top-end RBZ at the $100-$120 pricepoint iirc. Sort of like what Easton did with the 65S and RS...excellent pricepoint imo. No idea regarding specs.

I got a question will the crazy curve be available at 1 st and will the 75 flex be a option in the initial release?

For more clarification - the Hossa curve is the 2011 Thornton curve.

Did Thornton stop using CCM? Or did CCM just want a new face with Hossa?

Did Thornton stop using CCM? Or did CCM just want a new face with Hossa?

I am not sure, but hes still on their site as a player