Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nystromshairstylist

Graf G75s - anyone have them?

I am about a week into working on them, and they are a paradigm shift in skating from my G70s. Significantly less support, a more flexible boot, much more cushioning on the inside particularly around the ankle region, much lighter, and so far, much more challenging to skate in.

It might just be because I am so used to being in a "cadillac" like the 70s, and the 75 is more of a "sports car" in function - like going from high-top basketball sneakers to running shoes is the best way to describe it.

I'm a lower-level intermediate skater, and was wondering what other owners who own them think of them. For other 75 owners, how has the break-in/adjustment period worked out so far?

I've been skating on mine for about 2-3 weeks now (about 15 ice times) after a single bake. Definitely taking a while to get comfortable in skating.

I haven't worn a Graf skate before, so it was a tough transition getting used to the forward pitch. I ended up installing 1/8" lifts under the front holder towers today to neutralize the pitch a bit. Felt better during tonight's game. I'm definitely using muscles that I haven't used before, or in a long time!

The boot is definitely cut lower than most of my previous skates. I wouldn't say less supportive, but providing a greater range of motion.

I'm loving the padding in the ankle region. I'm getting true ankle lock - I've never experienced this degree of ankle lock in any other boot.

The tongue is great. I would pull it out of the skate and sleep on it if I could. I'm worried that it will break down fast, but time will tell.

My skates are quite tight in the toe box when I put it on, but it eases as I start skating. I might need to do a small stretch lengthwise on my left skate, and punching near the ball of each foot - I got this pair tighter than usual because I wanted a really secure, tight, form-fitting feel.

I've also played around with regular cotton and waxed laces to see what I like best. I find that during the break in the skate changes during use and that the wax laces really help keep everything where you want them... The cotton ones seem to move and stretch a bit too much.

My only dislikes so far:

- I've taken a couple crisp passes off the sides of the boot around the middle of the foot, and off the laces... There isn't a lot of protection there - resulted in foot bruises. I'm NOT looking forward to taking a shot off of these.

- The original insoles were better than most manufacturers, but still not my favorite. I replaced with Superfeet.

- The area where the toe cap is sewed to the boot have threads that are a bit aggravating on my toes and foot. I'm using some thin, adhesive gel strips in there right now to protect my foot, but looking at adding some permanent "wings" to my Superfeet insoles to protect this area on both skates.

I don't own a pair but few boys around here got some, in my opinion it must be one of the shittiest skates GRAF ever pulled out. They weight a ton, the inner lining is ridiculous, and the price is appalling.

On the other hand the new G5s are a bomb. At 500bucks it's hand down the best available skates right now (if they fit).

I don't own a pair but few boys around here got some, in my opinion it must be one of the shittiest skates GRAF ever pulled out. They weight a ton, the inner lining is ridiculous, and the price is appalling.

On the other hand the new G5s are a bomb. At 500bucks it's hand down the best available skates right now (if they fit).

Not to start a flame war, but you're commenting on skates you don't own, and claim "they weigh a ton", when they are considerably lighter than other Graf models. It'd be better if only current G75 owners commented.

In my hands the new G5 and G3 felt even slightly lighter. But to me there's nothing very significant between the new and old G series in terms of weight. G75s weigh exactly the same as the previous G series.

Take a skate of the same price and same material (APX and TO), these are truely "considerably lighter" than any graf.

ie -> the G75s weigh a ton.

If the price tag was 500USD I'd have a different opinion. It's probably just me but I don't see the point in these skates.

But again if you happy with them, that's the main thing :smile:

In my hands the new G5 and G3 felt even slightly lighter. But to me there's nothing very significant between the new and old G series in terms of weight. G75s weigh exactly the same as the previous G series.

Take a skate of the same price and same material (APX and TO), these are truely "considerably lighter" than any graf.

ie -> the G75s weigh a ton.

If the price tag was 500USD I'd have a different opinion. It's probably just me but I don't see the point in these skates.

But again if you happy with them, that's the main thing :smile:

Main thing is the fit. You would get better performance out of a properly fitted skate (regardless of brand).

Fit comes first I agree.

But at 750D a piece, I want fit, high-tech material, innovation, durability, top quality, lightweight, look.. the WHOLE package.

If you just want something that fits you may as well buy a boot from the 700series for a fraction of that price.

Im not saying that APXs and TOs do have that whole package (especially the TO), I even consider them as garbage (although the apx is actually a much better skate than the TO in my opinion). But at least they represent some kind of technological showcases for Bauer...

Coming from Graf I was expecting something that was going to knock out the competition. A bit like when the 709 varioflex came out.

I will give a bit of an update to my review of the Graf G75 skates. After about 1 month of ownership the boot had separated quite a bit from both outsoles, mainly on the outside arch of each foot. My LHS sent them back to Graf for warranty repair and they replaced both outsoles and reinforced everything a bit and added some adhesive. Happy with the customer service from both Graf and my LHS, not too happy with this quality issue... and yes, they were baked exactly according to instructions.

I also asked them to check the padding on the skate due to the fact that I had taken a few more minor passes (even goalie passes) off the front-sides of the boot and experienced more than normal amounts of pain. They didn't find anything abnormal for the model of skate. These are definitely the least protective skate that I've ever worn from a shot blocking perspective. The EQ50, One80, 705, X60, and X50 that I've tried in the past couple years have all come ahead as having more protection than the G75.

The Superfeet weren't providing enough support for my pronation and arch, so I replaced them with Graf Sidas custom which helped, but didn't solve all the problems.

Was still having a large amount of issues adjusting to the Cobra holders, the lower cut boot and the pitch in general. Both skates were shimmed in the front to try to minimize the pitch and wedged on the outside front to try to address some of my pronation issues. With the warranty repair I had to stop progressing/working on this problem, and when my skates came back from repair the wedges and shims were removed (no big deal, I understand and can put them back in no problem). If I keep these skates I'll likely look at switching out the holders and steel to LS2 to see how that goes, although I don't feel that they're protective enough for my level of play. After skating in them for nearly a month, I'm not convinced that I'm a player who can wear Graf.

While my G75's were out for warranty I went back to my Easton EQ50's but added my Sidas insoles and found that most of the problems I experienced with them earlier were gone. I might keep the Grafs around for a bit, or I might sell them and go back to my EQ50's permanently. If I keep the EQ50's the RBII's are being replaced with LS2 holders. I've already had a fair bit of issues with the durability of the RBII's and I still feel like I'd prefer a more neutral pitch than the current configuration.

only place in my city that does footbalance appears to be a golftown.

would you guys recommend in favour or against going to golftown to get these insoles for my skates?