Photo

Happy birthday MSH

19 replies to this topic

#1 Chadd

Chadd
  • Mods

• 39,240 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

I know this is coming a few days early (March 20 is the date), but I am leaving in a couple hours for my annual vacation/decompression/internet avoidance period in Aruba. In some ways it's hard to believe that it has already been eight years and in others it's hard to believe that is has ONLY been eight years.

Since implementing the new system for the gear exchange we haven't had any issues with fraudulent transactions to the best of my knowledge. Yes, it has cut down on the number of items for sale and the number of potential buyers, but that has never been the main focus of the site. We appreciate the financial support from those of you who chose to participate in the program. It has made running this site much less of a financial burden on us over the last year. I know the new system is unpopular with some members, but it was the easiest system that we evaluated, in terms of overhead and management.

The new MSH Marketplace is growing and improving. It's something we hope can be a benefit to both our members and the participating retailers, many of whom are long time members of the site. We hope that this portion of the website is able to create extra value for everyone involved. I know that I have taken part in a couple of the offers and I hope some of you have as well. Supporting those retail partners is a great way to support us.

Suspensions warnings and bans are down significantly. While there have been some issues over the last year, there have been fewer problems than in the past, despite our larger member base and increased traffic. I know that our rules are a little different than some other sites and that it can take some time to adapt to our way of doing things. If you ever have a question about something, please send us a message. Due to my work schedule, I may not be able to respond right away, but I will get back to you. Not all of the admin tools work well from my phone and I would rather send a PM when I get to my computer than send something via text.

On a more positive note, thanks to all of the members, manufacturer representatives, retail partners and members. You guys are what this site is all about and thank you for making every year better than the last. Helping others with equipment information, your experiences and even friendship. Speaking of that, it was great to see everyone in Detroit last December and I'm looking forward to seeing you guys in just a couple months at summer jam 2012. Thanks again for being so positive, respectful and helpful to other members, especially those that are new to the game. I know that some of us have seen some of the questions a couple hundred times by now, if not more. We all have to keep in mind that some people haven't seen it and done it a hundred times before.

On a personal note, I lost someone over the last year that was a big influence on me. The number of people that came to see him and thank him for helping them was truly astounding. Each of us knew about the things that he had done for us, but none of us knew what he had done for everyone else. No matter who you were or what you needed, all you had to do was ask and he would help. To quote George Bernard Shaw "Forget about likes and dislikes, they are of no consequence. Just do what must be done. This may not be happiness, but it is greatness." In the coming year, please, be great. Not just here, but in all aspects of your life. Be positive, be helpful and do the things that just need to be done. Let's see if we can make next year better than this one.

Thank you all again and here's to year number nine.
"Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think."
George Bernard Shaw

#2 fatwabbit

fatwabbit
  • Members++
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:03 AM

Chad, this community is something I look forward to every morning, and every evening before bed. The number of pals I've made here, most I've never met in person due to the geographical challenges, I will continue to cherish.

I'm just wary of my company checking up on me... I think I spend more time on MSH than on my company's website!

Thanks to all, and to another stellar year!
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE- LFC

Will no longer have the number of buy/sell/trades mentioned... its too embarrassing to see how much gear I've accumulated.

#3 AIREAYE

AIREAYE
  • Members+

• 2,982 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

Excellently captured. MSH has been an amazing learning experience for me and I'm sure, for everyone else here as well. I have nothing more to add to Chadd's post, I'll just be repeating what he said. Here's to another great year!

If SJ is in Toronto this year, I'll see some of you there!

#4 althoma1

althoma1
  • Members+

• 1,395 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

The best hockey discussion site on the internet. What makes it the best is the knowledge of both the moderators and members. While I've been here long enough to see many topics arise again and again, however; new interesting information is always there to be found and I'm continually learning.

#5 kjcjhockey

kjcjhockey
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

Thank you for providing a forum for us to come together to forget our troubles and relish in the sport we love.

Go Kings Go!

#6 DarkStar50

DarkStar50
  • Senior Members

• 5,822 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

Here since 2005 and it never gets old. Enjoy your time off!
"Hockey is the only tribe I belong to."
Jack Falla

#7 MatthewRoach7

MatthewRoach7
  • Members+

• 278 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

Again. Thank you and keep up the great work. Good people and good times. Who could ask for more!

#8 SouthpawTRK

SouthpawTRK
  • Members+
  • 288 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Many thanks to Chadd and JR for putting together a phenomenal hockey site that I'd like to think it as my home away from home. The amount of knowledge that I've learned from MSH and it's members is truly priceless. I'm proud to be a member of MSH and hopefully one day I can make some kind of significant contribution to the betterment of the site. Happy Birthday MSH!!!

#9 MLSman

MLSman
  • Senior Members

• 1,414 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

From someone who knows how much time and effort is spent keeping MSH the place it is...you guys deserve great thanks. Enjoy Aruba!
"My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" - JR on the defense of the dark team at the DC skate

#10 stock07

stock07
  • Members+
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

A BIG THANK YOU for sure is in order! I know some of us members can be a headache at times to you guys. But just know from this member I appreciate all you guys do.

#11 All Flash

All Flash
  • Members+
  • 315 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

Well said. Keep up the great work and a big +1 on what DarkStar said "Enjoy your time off!"
For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will due."

#12 Goonsquad

Goonsquad
  • Members+

• 640 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

Happy birthday MSH! Keep up the good work JR, Chadd and the rest of the people that work hard on this site to make it what it is!
Train them early!

"I don't want to talk about hockey. I want to have fun with my teammates and go eat nachos and drink Coke." - Ovechkin

#13 EBondo

EBondo
  • Members+

• 4,829 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

Happy birthday MSH! Glad to be one of members who's been here basically from the birth. Keep it up guys, words can't properly tell how much we appreciate you all.

#14 JR Boucicaut

JR Boucicaut
  • Mods

• 29,626 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

Thank you all for the kind words.

A lot of my thoughts have been already said so I'll be short today; thank you for being a part of MSH. Each and every day I am amazed as to what we all have built here.

#15 Vulcan7905

Vulcan7905
  • Members+

• 439 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

Happy Birthday MSH! A ton of amazing friendships and knowledge comes from MSH for me.
Gots to love what you do!

#16 Chadd

Chadd
  • Mods

• 39,240 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

Each and every day I am amazed as to what we all have built here.

That really is the key. As I've said so many times over the years, "we are our members" and it is each and every person here that makes MSH what it is.
"Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think."
George Bernard Shaw

#17 wrangler

wrangler
  • Members++

• 3,465 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

That's what a community is.

#18 Cams

Cams
  • Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

Happy b-day MSH! I would like to also send out a great thank you and job well done to JR, Chadd and the others who make this place what it is. Also to all fellow members - thank you as well. I have gained a lot of knowledge from MSH, and would like to think I have contributed to the knowledge base to the best of my ability, and look forward to continuing to do so!

#19 elevation

elevation
  • Members+
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

Happy b-day from Germany! Great work!

#20 jds

jds

Rockstar

• Members+

• 1,239 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

Did anyone notice that MSH and Bobby Orr share a birthday?
‎"I don't know karate but I know ca-razy"

Reply to this topic