Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tooomey

Why do NHL Pro's wear Bauer 5100 style Helmets with the old school padding

With all the concusions going around these days why would NHL'ers still wear those Bauer 5100 style helmets with that Old School padding?

There is yet to be any data that really shows definitivley whether epp or vn is more protective. Vn being what is in helmets like the 5100. In addition to the fact that no helmet is concussion proof. Most of the concussions are from the brain colliding with the skull due to inertia. Unfortunatley there is no way fora helmet to do much if anything about this.

Also a lot of players just wear what they've always worn regardless of the quality. For example, althought not many, you do see some NHL players wear the old school sher-wood shoulder pads, I believe Colten Orr is an example of this.

For example, althought not many, you do see some NHL players wear the old school sher-wood shoulder pads, I believe Colten Orr is an example of this.

Shawn Thornton wears the 5030s as well.

Selanne has a really old jofa helmet. I cant wear any of the EPP foam helmets because my head is to fat, so it could be a fit issue why the where the VN foam helmets

Selanne has a really old jofa helmet. I cant wear any of the EPP foam helmets because my head is to fat, so it could be a fit issue why the where the VN foam helmets

I still wear a Jofa 390 all the time

There was a study done at the University of Ottawa (IIRC) that suggested that VN attenuates both repeated and low-to-moderate impacts better than what we commonly call EPP (hard bike helmet foam), which is much better at handling catastrophic impacts; the caveat is that EPP can take an enormous variety of forms, and the stuff in Jofa helmets and some old Bauer and Cooper ones is more like EVA or VN than it is like what we commonly call EPP.

Because pro players get bumped and hit constantly, and, because of their training and physical abilities, have arguably less risk of a catastrophic fall onto the head (which is what bike-EPP is designed to ameliorate), it seems reasonable than VN and other softer foams would be preferred. A softer foam is, of course, also more comfortable, and easier for the EQM to trim if there are pressure points. VN also soaks up sweat, which is part of the reason why it has to be replaced often, since both age and cyclic wetting and drying out harden the foam. EVA handles sweat much better and grips the head better, but it's also a lot less durable under friction (eg. taking the helmet on and off).