Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sharks #5

Skates destroying my ankles please help

Hi, just after some advice really as I have the new Reebok 11k skates. I've had them for a few months now and have baked them twice, I also have put superfeet yellow insoles into them but from day 1 they have given me alot of pain in my ankles partcularly my right one. It seems that my ankle bones are sitting on hard composite part of the boot which has little padding. I have also been using sipipos silicone pads on my ankles which seems to help with the left but the right is just so painful. I have had a week off to let it recover but thinking now of selling the skates as i can only assume that they are not deep enough for me?!

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to ease the pain or another skate that I can buy to better suite my foot then I am all ears.

Thanks

replacing the superfeet by the rbk insole will make the boot a little bit deeper, so if that's an issue, you might want to try that.

Also, when you baked them did you have your ankle padding (correct me if I'm wrong) while baking them?

and if they don't fit properly, you'd be better off trading them...

Having same problem with my 9ks but it's my left ankle. I never baked the skates and i swapped out my rbk insoles with the ones from my vector 10s because they were thinner. My ankle is all swollen and I am going to try the same thing and take a week off and ice it as much as possible.

Yeah I can try and take the superfeet out but I fear that it will not give me enought depth to sole the problem, and I baked them without the added ankle padding.

Any idea on a skate which would suite my foot? I have a fairly narrow ankle, with a wide forefoot and I would need reasonable depth around the ankle area?

The Alkali skates are far and away the best option. The ankle pocket is great, and the toecap is wider. I have a medium heel with a wide forefoot and they fit great. They are extremely heat moldable, and can adapt to any foot size. I've got 6 guys at my rink skating on the CA9's right now, all different feet types, and all love them.

The Alkali skates are far and away the best option. The ankle pocket is great, and the toecap is wider. I have a medium heel with a wide forefoot and they fit great. They are extremely heat moldable, and can adapt to any foot size. I've got 6 guys at my rink skating on the CA9's right now, all different feet types, and all love them.

right but if we can solve his problem, that could save him 600$

you can't fix the wrong fit in a skate, and the OP did ask if there are other skates out there that would solve the issue. That being said, if removing the Superfeet doesn't help I'm not totally sure you'll find an inline with enough depth if your foot is pushing that far out on a Reebok boot since they tend to be on the deeper/wider side. I know Fatwabbit is at the real high end on volume as well, might check with him to see what has worked. Alkali are a great option, I'd just make sure you can try them on first.

FatWabbit is skating on t8s, as am I. I have a narrow heel with an average/wide forefoot, and the t8s fit great. I have a high volume foot, and they fit in that aspect as well. Or try Bauer Supremes or Eastons and get them converted.

i had ankle pain in my ice skates that sounds like it was caused by a similar issue, that being my ankle not sitting in the correct part of the boot. i bought a pair of $10 mcdavid ankle supports (neoprene, i think) at the local jock shop and theyve felt great since. its also nice not to have to reef on the laces at the top of the boot.

I bought the 9K's and I'm having the same exact problem, I ordered em from Inline Warehouse, figured they'd fit the same as my 6K's. Boy was I wrong. I had the exact problem you did to the point I couldn't stand. I knew I should have went with the Alkalis...so I plan on returning them tomorrow and getting the Alkalis instead.

Well I've come to the decision that this pain isn't going to go away, and like @Ebondo I had The 6k's and they were a perfect fit so not sure what Reebok have done there. Am now looking at either the Alkali's or maybe the bauer xr5's but being in the UK it is unlikely that I will be able to try the Alkali's on so reluctant to buy and have the same problem.

Well I've come to the decision that this pain isn't going to go away, and like @Ebondo I had The 6k's and they were a perfect fit so not sure what Reebok have done there. Am now looking at either the Alkali's or maybe the bauer xr5's but being in the UK it is unlikely that I will be able to try the Alkali's on so reluctant to buy and have the same problem.

I think I got lucky. I went over to HockeyGiant (I luckily have one a few minutes from me) and unfortunately they were out of the Alkali CA5's (which I originally had planned on getting), so I figured I would try the XR4's while I was there...perfect fit. Saved some money too since they were only 249.99 too. I'd say the Bauers are worth trying on, if you can do that.

i had ankle pain in my ice skates that sounds like it was caused by a similar issue, that being my ankle not sitting in the correct part of the boot. i bought a pair of $10 mcdavid ankle supports (neoprene, i think) at the local jock shop and theyve felt great since. its also nice not to have to reef on the laces at the top of the boot.

SAME HERE. I had a pair of mission's, bauer, and now tour's. The only thing that helped are those little neoprene ankle support things. The smaller and lower ankle bone on the inside sticks out all stupid and it kills me in the skates. For sure try if you encounter any more pain. It might take a week or two out of your skates first tho.....

Awesome, that's good as i was thinking of getting those. Hope you get on well with those

I have a game tonight so I'll let you know how they are. I think I'm going to like them thougH.

I bought the 11k inline skate also. I love the 80mm Hummer frame. The boots i thought were to stiff,I had pain where the lace lock system was. So I bought a pair of 11k Ice boots and mounted the frame. On this Ice boot The lace lock was cut out and an eyelet sewn in, On the inside heel area there was more padding added. I dont even use the pump. I went from a size 8 Graf to a 7.5 Reebok.