Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fire0nIce228

Matt Cooke

He may be playing very good this season.

The fact remains he has ended Marc Savard's career.

Ask Marc Savard what he thinks about his season this year.

Then he continued to play that style for a season & a half.

All that proves to me is that he could play differently, and was choosing not to. I think that actually makes me think less of him now and I didn't think that was possible.

All that proves to me is that he could play differently, and was choosing not to. I think that actually makes me think less of him now and I didn't think that was possible.

Boom. And the fact that he's nominated for the Masterton Trophy? I'm baffled.

That's disgusting.

I admire the way he's reinvented himself -- a lot of guys wouldn't have been able deprogram that kind of attitude -- but that trophy is absolutely not for him. His name would be a permanent pollutant.

I'd settle for having someone put him to sleep for a while. If he came back from that and became the right kind of advocate, he'd have begun to earn it.

Now, if he spends his offseason curing concussions, brings Savard back to the NHL, and rushes into a burning munitions factory to rescue a group of orphans on a tour he funded, and spends half a season recuperating from his burns, then by all means...

I'm happy to see him change his ways. He's probably one of those kids who was told he'd never make it, and thought he had to play the goon role to get anywhere. Clearly he's got some talent in there.

Good on him.

All that proves to me is that he could play differently, and was choosing not to.

He was told to play that way by his coaches.. Would he have made it to the NHL if he hadn't? Probably not. Its no secret he made his career toeing the line, but he likely had no choice if he wanted to be an NHL player.

At any rate, the guy exemplifies exactly what needs to change in the NHL, and that is the mentality. Watching games and hearing Cooke himself say it, he passes up many many hits now. He says if he has any question, he lays off. And he hasn't lost his roster spot, gotten traded, sent down, etc. Hell, he's even playing on a line with Crosby right now. Hes involved in much less extra curriculars after the whistle too, another trending problem in the NHL in my opinion.

Not even going to get into the Savard thing, again, but an eye for an eye, right LG?

Not a big fan of Cooke . But credit to him for changing his ways.

I think human nature is to hate , but forgiveness is forgiving! So I choose forgiveness

He was told to play that way by his coaches.. Would he have made it to the NHL if he hadn't? Probably not. Its no secret he made his career toeing the line, but he likely had no choice if he wanted to be an NHL player.

"I was just following orders -- and trying to get ahead in a lucrative career."

At any rate, the guy exemplifies exactly what needs to change in the NHL, and that is the mentality. Watching games and hearing Cooke himself say it, he passes up many many hits now. He says if he has any question, he lays off. And he hasn't lost his roster spot, gotten traded, sent down, etc. Hell, he's even playing on a line with Crosby right now. Hes involved in much less extra curriculars after the whistle too, another trending problem in the NHL in my opinion.

The only reason he exemplifies that is because he went aorund victimizing other players. You're claiming that he deserves the Masterton because he's a reformed scalp-hunter. I suggest you learn a little bit about the mandate of the award, its history, and Bill himself. What you're suggesting would be equivalent to awarding the Jennings to a goalie who made some really nice saves: that's not its purpose.

Not even going to get into the Savard thing, again, but an eye for an eye, right LG?

That's a pretty ignorant oversimplification of what I said. Notice the conditional phrase, "If he came back from that, and...", which would both qualify him generally for the Masterton, and mean that, in fact, there would be no 'eye for an eye' equivalency of injury, since Savard's career is over and Cooke's in that scenario, would not be. You'd have to be straining pretty hard to read what I wrote and think I was suggesting that Cooke should be permanently injured in the interests of justice; having had several severe concussions myself, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. And that's the point: not only has Cooke not come back from anything except his summer vacation, he still has not atoned in any sense. Not doing it again is hardly laudable: it's just the way it should be.

He definitely does not deserve the Masterson, but he definitely DOES deserve praise for changing his play without becoming less effective.

IMO, Lupul would be a legitimate receiver. To go from being told he may never play again, to having a career year... is a pretty big jump.

The same team whose owner basically cried last year when his team was getting roughed up. Then complained about the league when he had one of the biggest offenders on his own team.

I respect Crosby but his lingering issues with his concussions hasn't bothered me at all. I think of it as karma.

Yeah, Matt Cooke totes deserves a trophy for not being a dick.

It's all well and good, but none of that makes you a Masterton candidate. Being a douche isn't a career threatening injury.

The only reason he exemplifies that is because he went aorund victimizing other players. You're claiming that he deserves the Masterton because he's a reformed scalp-hunter. I suggest you learn a little bit about the mandate of the award, its history, and Bill himself. What you're suggesting would be equivalent to awarding the Jennings to a goalie who made some really nice saves: that's not its purpose.

Please keep in mind that this is the same league that nominated Duncan Keith and Mike Green for the Norris. The sad thing is, that team has guys that have had multiple concussions over the last couple years and have fought to get back on the ice and yet they pick Cooke as their man. Yet another reason this franchise just does not get it.

I'm glad that the guy seems to have mended his ways but I don't that no longer throwing potential career ending hits is justification for the award.

Matt Cooke proves change is possible!

And all it took was him being fined nearly a quarter of a million dollars after his last cheapshot. I'm thinking the NHL should come up with a new award for the player that performs the best under financial motivation... such as during the final year of a contract or when he knows his next suspension might cost him 7 figures.

And all it took was him being fined nearly a quarter of a million dollars after his last cheapshot. I'm thinking the NHL should come up with a new award for the player that performs the best under financial motivation... such as during the final year of a contract or when he knows his next suspension might cost him 7 figures.

To be more precise, he was suspended and the forfeited salary went to the Players Emergency Assistance fund.

Listen, Cooke may be reforming but the fact remains is that he ended someone's career. I've said it before but I feel that if the NHL had made an example out of Todd Bertuzzi by banning him from the NHL FOR LIFE then maybe some players would think twice before they intend on injuring another player.

Listen, Cooke may be reforming but the fact remains is that he ended someone's career. I've said it before but I feel that if the NHL had made an example out of Todd Bertuzzi by banning him from the NHL FOR LIFE then maybe some players would think twice before they intend on injuring another player.

Considering Bertuzzi had only been suspended once before, and never since, I don't see any reason that would have been a justified sentence.

I don't think Matt Cooke deserves anything except the kind of hits he used to dish out. Someone mentioned that the coaches made him play that style but there's a difference between playing aggressively and illegally. I don't think the coaches told him to end someone's career, elbow someone in the face, board someone, etc... They may have told him to play with a chip on his shoulder but he crossed the line many times

And sentences don't deter anything.

Was that the sound of a can of worms opening?

There's a good chance that you may have opened one! Haha.

I, personally, like how Bertuzzi is playing with the Wings. He provides protection for other players, has great skill, helps the younger players, and seems to be a favorite in the locker room (from what I've heard at least.)

I don't think Matt Cooke deserves anything except the kind of hits he used to dish out. Someone mentioned that the coaches made him play that style but there's a difference between playing aggressively and illegally. I don't think the coaches told him to end someone's career, elbow someone in the face, board someone, etc... They may have told him to play with a chip on his shoulder but he crossed the line many times

I, personally, like how Bertuzzi is playing with the Wings. He provides protection for other players, has great skill, helps the younger players, and seems to be a favorite in the locker room (from what I've heard at least.)

Good thing you said "with the Wings." Talk about contradiction lol. I still think Bertuzzi should have been tossed from the entire league after the Moore incident. I did a report on the incident in high school, and still stand by that opinion to this day.

Law, I never said anything about my thoughts on Cooke being nominated by the Pens for the Masterson.. You dont want me to put words in your mouth, don't put them in mine. I think it should clearly be Sid.

I only created the topic to maybe make aware to those that hate on the guy of what he's accomplished so far this season. I understand some of the hate, I do, but I see guys like Trevor Gilles concuss Tangradi with blatant elbow and then stand in the runway and taunt him while the trainer is attending to him and be nothing but a career punching bag, get not even a fraction of it, and you cant ever convince me that guy doesnt go out to hurt players at times.

And yes, good points that he wouldnt have to reform if he hadn't played the way he did in the first place..but he did, and he has changed, thus far*, and he does deserve some commendation for that in my eyes.

Chalk up another assist tonight as well.