Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pbhockey4

Talk of Coyotes moving?

I think it's inevitable that the Coyotes move. So far, the only place who can have the team for next season is Quebec city. They already have a rink that can accommodate them for a season or two and they will start building the new rink sometimes this year I believe. They got a potential owner or more that is willing to lose a bit of dough for a couple of seasons until the new rink is built.

I think it's inevitable that the Coyotes move. So far, the only place who can have the team for next season is Quebec city. They already have a rink that can accommodate them for a season or two and they will start building the new rink sometimes this year I believe. They got a potential owner or more that is willing to lose a bit of dough for a couple of seasons until the new rink is built.

Kansas City has a brand new facility.

The Goldwater Institute seems to have made killing this franchise a corporate mission, otherwise it would have been resolved more than a year ago.

I think that Kansas City has plans for a new facility but not built yet? I'm sure I read somewhere that someone wanted a new facility to bring in an NBA team and that perhaps if they could have an NHL team too it would be easier to justify a new building?

I think that Kansas City has plans for a new facility but not built yet? I'm sure I read somewhere that someone wanted a new facility to bring in an NBA team and that perhaps if they could have an NHL team too it would be easier to justify a new building?

http://en.wikipedia....i/Sprint_Center

The arena seats more than 19,000 people and has 72 suites
The Pittsburgh Penguins faced the Los Angeles Kings on September 27, 2011 in front of a sold-out crowd of 17,779. The Penguins won the NHL pre-season game 3-2 in a shootout

Seattle is also looking to build a new arena and bring in NHL/NBA teams

It's almost a dead certainty that the Coyotes, if moved, will stay in the US. Quebec wants it so badly they will eventually pay the full fee to enter the league, and Bettman can leverage the transfer however he wants to get the best possible reception.

I still think what killed the Coyotes was moving to Glendale. Ottawa has enough troubles with their rink in Kanata, and they have a much more dense and motivated fanbase. The NHL should be doing everything possible to ensure that it never again has a rink outside centre of population unless there is wonderful access, a highly motivated perennial base, and a terribly compelling reason.

Thanks. I mixed Kansas City and Seattle.

Goblue: I can't see the Coyotes moving to Houston. They are/were having a tough time with the Stars so I don't think it would be a wise move for the NHL to have a second team in Texas.

Quebec does want it really badly but even though revenues are going up, there are still half the league having problems so I'm not sure that an expansion would be the best thing for the NHL and Quebec city for that matter. With the Coyotes at least Quebec would be getting a decent team with some assets while with an expansion team it would mean sucking for a few years just like Ottawa did. Not sure the fan base would stick around long enough for the team to flourish.

It's almost a dead certainty that the Coyotes, if moved, will stay in the US. Quebec wants it so badly they will eventually pay the full fee to enter the league, and Bettman can leverage the transfer however he wants to get the best possible reception.

I still think what killed the Coyotes was moving to Glendale. Ottawa has enough troubles with their rink in Kanata, and they have a much more dense and motivated fanbase. The NHL should be doing everything possible to ensure that it never again has a rink outside centre of population unless there is wonderful access, a highly motivated perennial base, and a terribly compelling reason.

Agreed completely on all counts.

Move them to Sacramento. Into the new Kings stadium that they say they are designing to be a great stadium for hockey.

A fourth team in California sounds like a terrible idea.

Goblue: I can't see the Coyotes moving to Houston. They are/were having a tough time with the Stars so I don't think it would be a wise move for the NHL to have a second team in Texas.

I realize it's probably a pipe dream... but it sure would help those of us down here trying to grow the sport.

As for the Dallas Stars, their financial troubles had more to do with the overall financial troubles of the owner and his sports group which owned a number of pro sports teams. He couldn't afford to put a competitive product on the ice and attendance dwindled. But since the ownership change, their attendance has shot back up. Despite the mess with the owner, I think they've remained a strong franchise.

Houston - Largest city in US/Canada without an NHL team... make it happen!

Houston - Largest city in US/Canada without an NHL team... make it happen!

Houston doesn't have the greatest track record with supporting the Astros, that will make a lot of people wonder about supporting a new team in a new sport.

A fourth team in California sounds like a terrible idea.

If the interest is there, why not? The state definitely has the population to do it, you just have to drum up the interest.

Houston doesn't have the greatest track record with supporting the Astros, that will make a lot of people wonder about supporting a new team in a new sport.

They don't? I'm asking honestly, because I've only been down here 5 years. I moved down here right at the tail end of their peak in terms of onfield success. I know attendance has been down the past two years, but that corresponds to fielding their worst team in history... last years team lost over a 100 games. Not to mention attendance has been down across MLB over the past few years.

On the plus side, the Houston Aeros attendance has grown this past decade. I believe they're in the top 5 in the AHL for average attendance... and those numbers aren't inflated by $1 ticket nights or anything... I rarely see specials advertised for Aero's tickets.

I don't have a business degree, but I would think Houston has a lot going for it... high population that is one of the fastest growing, strong economy (lots of corporate headquarters), large number of western Canadians (oil industry), lots of northern transplants (myself included) due to the recession. I think the NHL should consider it... maybe have a couple preseason games here like was rumored to happen this season.

If the interest is there, why not? The state definitely has the population to do it, you just have to drum up the interest.

Beyond the 4 teams in one state, which, yeah, not that big a deal, Sacramento is only 2 hours from San Jose, which is a fairly well established fan base. I would think Seattle or somewhere a little further away would be a better location.

I agree. If they would have stayed in downtown Phoenix they would have done much better with their fan base.

Quebec doesnt have an arena suitable for a NHL team. The Collisade is way past it's prime and is only good for tournaments and junior hockey. The place has alot of history but is old, has no boxes and is falling apart

No, they don't, but the money and political will are there; they just want some kind of assurance from the NHL, along the usual Field of Dreams line that arena-builders always want to hear.

If Quebec wants a team they need to build thier arean now and wait until they get a team, like Kansas City. You can't expect a NHL team to move into an old building with the expectation that they will have a new place in a few years. Construction, finance and politics can change alot in a short period of time. Imagine the fallout if a team left a city based on a promise that a new arena was to be built and it doesn't happen. That would be a disaster. It doesn't matter if they have a contract with a city or if they are already breaking ground, the arena should be at least 90% complete before any move is commited to.

Isnt it for sure that the Coyotes will move? Since they arent owned by anyone now it seems like they will move for sure. I wonder what the new Nordiques jerseys would look like since the Aves own the logo.

Isnt it for sure that the Coyotes will move? Since they arent owned by anyone now it seems like they will move for sure. I wonder what the new Nordiques jerseys would look like since the Aves own the logo.

The league owns the Coyotes and has said time and again that they want to keep the team in Phoenix. They are trying to find an ownership group that will keep the Coyotes in Arizona. The league has owned the Coyotes for almost 3 years and for 3 years people have been saying the Coyotes will become the Jets (again)/Nordiques. It's not like things fell apart recently.

If, somehow, they did manage to move to Quebec (keep in mind that Jim Balsillie had a bid in to move the team to Canada and the NHL fought it tooth and nail) the Avs might allow them to use the name and logo, like the league did with the Coyotes' Winnipeg Jets trademarks.

Law goalie nailed it. I have family in Scottsdale and have been to a couple of games. Most of their natural fanbase is north of the city and the arena is southwest of it. It's not an easy ride. If they put it up towards Scottsdale this never would have happened.

Beyond the 4 teams in one state, which, yeah, not that big a deal, Sacramento is only 2 hours from San Jose, which is a fairly well established fan base. I would think Seattle or somewhere a little further away would be a better location.

You'd be facing similar proximity issues with Seattle and Vancouver, as well as competing with area WHL teams.