Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zinger

Are Two Piece Stick Set ups dying?

@chadd

I don't see the point of buying a heavier $60 stick when you can get a high end 2 piece for slightly more.... I'm pretty sure hockey companies have significantly higher margins on one piece sticks, hence the reason why LHS' don't stock as many shaft and blades.

A high end shaft is like over $120 now. A high end blade is $60. Many people would rather just spend the money on new one piece sticks, even if they are lower end or heavier.

I recently decided to switch to a two-piece setup, mostly because I tend to beat up blades a lot and it no longer made any sense to me to use an OPS, but yeah, finding blades is pretty tough, even online can be difficult. I've been using wood blades but I'm lucky if they last a month before the toe gets beat up

Giancarlo thanks for the tip, will check them out..

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Harrow blades?

Their blades are good. I'm using a the pattern 10 (ovi pro stock) I like it to a point I have broken 3 since February. I would recommend going with Combat they seem to stand up to a lot of abuse.

@chadd

I don't see the point of buying a heavier $60 stick when you can get a high end 2 piece for slightly more.... I'm pretty sure hockey companies have significantly higher margins on one piece sticks, hence the reason why LHS' don't stock as many shaft and blades.

Most customers would rather have the OPS. That's why shops order more of them and that's why manufacturers make more of them. If people bought more shafts, you would see more of them in shops and manufacturers would make more of them.

Man don't ppl like to save money? Lol

I'm glad I'm not alone..

I should have stocked up on One95 blades when I had the chance.

I would think a two pieces would make a lot of sense for parents as well.

I prefer a two piece setup simply because I can replace the blade or shaft if it breaks. In the long run, it's cheaper. Sure, for the price of a quality two piece setup, you can get a mid level OPS, but once it breaks, you have to buy a new one. And, in all reality, the performance advantages of an actual OPS vs the equivalent two piece is negligible, especially for your typical beer leaguer with a family to support.

When you compare a mid level OPS to a similar priced two piece, the two piece will always perform better.

I don't know where you guys live, but any shop I have ever been to in the tri state area (ny, nj, ct) has always stocked plenty of blades. However, most are standard blades than tapered and they do not carry shafts. I think the reason is to convert broken ops to 2 pieces as I have seen many people walk in and have the blade put in on top.

As for me, I get most of my blades on eBay and forums as there is a greater selection and lower prices than buying/hunting local,for them.

I'm with the two piece guys on this one. To be able to set a blade and shaft combo to your cutoms specs is a winner. I've been usng a Total One shaft and a Warrior Spyne,Vanek curve blade that I must add is no longer in production. This at least left me with the ability to stock pile so of the Vanek curve blades both standard and tappered. I recently purchased a Dynasty OPS with a Savard curve. Not my curve of choice however I will be able to pull it out being a fused stick and adding the Vanek to it. For those of you who may be wondering why I didnt just buy a Dynasty shaft. Simple reason is that it is NOT a true Dynasty OPS spec shaft.

My retail "Total One" blade is a One95 repaint which I am sort of surprised they would do that on retail stuff.

How is that possible? The Totalone blades are textreme, and the one95s are not. That means that they can't be repaints

I never see any goo deals on on ebay.... And I'm wary of pro stock blades cuz I don't know what they weight will be... How active is the buy and sell forum here? Maybe I'll subscribe to that there is enough activity.... I know before it was a paid things it was always flowing with good deals...

Also whatever happened to the good deals thread???

yes, they have had the shafts/blades for at least a week. the one piece sticks were available yesterday ( i went late in the day and they had just put them on the racks) at one place i went to, but peranis wont have them until tuesday. not sure why they were released at different times (ops and separate pieces)

At the Perani's I work at we had our Mako's out yesterday. We've had the OPS for a week sitting in the back and the shafts came in a week before the OPS.

@chadd

I'm pretty sure hockey companies have significantly higher margins on one piece sticks, hence the reason why LHS' don't stock as many shaft and blades.

Actually - I just ran the numbers; a top-end stick and the same top-end stick in shaft/blade form, sold on a major online retailer. Looked at the price list to get the cost. The difference? 2% between OPS and shaft/blade profit margin. One would even say you may lose the 2% advantage in the fact that shipping is less on a shaft and blade.

Like I said...convenience.

Actually - I just ran the numbers; a top-end stick and the same top-end stick in shaft/blade form, sold on a major online retailer. Looked at the price list to get the cost. The difference? 2% between OPS and shaft/blade profit margin. One would even say you may lose the 2% advantage in the fact that shipping is less on a shaft and blade.

Like I said...convenience.

Interesting... Even more confused now lol.

I guess the majority of players aren't puck/gear addicted individuals who spend time lurking on hockey equipment forums :)

Ahhh how I love MSH!

I never see any goo deals on on ebay.... And I'm wary of pro stock blades cuz I don't know what they weight will be... How active is the buy and sell forum here? Maybe I'll subscribe to that there is enough activity.... I know before it was a paid things it was always flowing with good deals...

Also whatever happened to the good deals thread???

The buy/sell column is well worth the contribution. You support a great site and easily can make the money back in one transaction.

Of course they're dying. Between the marketing of OPS, performance, and ease of buying a single stick over picking two components, shafts aren't very popular.

I personally prefer a two-piece setup as you can pick your personal favorites in terms of shaft geometry, flex, texture, and kickpoint, then combine it with whatever feel you like the most by varying the blade. Then just the obvious advantage of only replacing one part of it as it breaks.

For me, a 2-piece makes the most sense until you have a preferred flex and blade pattern dialed in. Once you know what you like, I don't see any reason to go 2-piece anymore. Then again, I've never broken a stick so I haven't seen that advantage become a reality yet.

How is that possible? The Totalone blades are textreme, and the one95s are not. That means that they can't be repaints

good question...mine doesn't say Textreme on it though...my Pro Stock Total One Shaft doesn't either...

Must have been first gen models?