Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zinger

Are Two Piece Stick Set ups dying?

The Widow took me quite a bit of time to figure out how to shoot with it. It is that different.

Agreed, after several months, I still can't get my slapshot back.

JR, what do you think about future S+B combos featuring Spear hosels mimicking top-end OPS construction?

I have found this link really interesting and maybe it will help. I really prefer a mid kick point playing defense. I used to have an old Easton T-Flex aluminum which I loved and bought a new tapered low kick point shaft when they came out but just has not given me the same feel on my slap shot. I believe the tapered shafts give great wrist and snap shots but I just can't figure out a slap shot no matter what flex. I have tried an Easton Synthesis, Reebok 6K and 7K when they first came out, Easton Synergy SE, Louisville Rubber tapered shaft, a cut down Bauer Vapor XXXX, and a TPS Adrenaline. I still prefer my ultra lite's and might spring for an AK someday.

http://jackhasspoken.wordpress.com/2011/10/23/choosing-an-ideal-hockey-stick/

JR, what do you think about future S+B combos featuring Spear hosels mimicking top-end OPS construction?

They're not selling now. Why would they invest in updating them when obviously they're (mfgr and stores) are riding the OPS train?

If manufacturers and retailers wanted to kill off the two-piece, why don't they just do it already (along with wood sticks)? People aren't going to stop playing hockey because they stopped making certain sticks.

Bauer did try that at one point. There was enough demand from dealers that they started making them again.

Are there any tapered shafts on the market with a mid-kick point? That's why I've stuck with standard shafts for the most part.

Honestly, I think the "ultra low" kick sticks are more similar to a standard shaft than a "normal" tapered shaft.

@ Chadd (or anyone else who can answer) - Is there a certain style of player/shooter that might benefit more from the standard 2 piece setup vs a tapered 2 piece setup (for reasons other than PP)?

For pure power on a slapshot, I think a standard shaft is better. That said, it would be in a purely theoretical situation and not in a game situation.

Nowadays' tapered shaft and blade combos are behind in performance; every top end stick on the market nowadays has an extreme/unconventional taper or isn't your typical fused construction. They are aligning more with the stick below top-end in terms of performance.

Yep, though I'm sure there would be a way to make a two piece option if there was a market for it.

I've seen/heard some glowing reports on the Widow (including Chadd's). Do the "unconventional tapers" truly add much in terms of performance? There was part of me that wondered if a big part of those tapers being used was to prevent guys from cutting OPS with more conventional tapers and using them as shafts (and reducing the number of new OPS they might use).

The Dagger taper on the widow works great for wrist and snap shots for me. It probably takes a little away from my slapshot, but part of that is because I played forward for most of the last year and never really worked on slappers with that stick.

The Widow took me quite a bit of time to figure out how to shoot with it. It is that different.

But once you find the right motion for the stick, it's effortless. Fortunately for me, it worked with my shooting motion right out of the box.

They're not selling now. Why would they invest in updating them when obviously they're (mfgr and stores) are riding the OPS train?

Exactly, adding a third type of shaft and blade combo would be the worst thing they could do at this point.

I guess margins probably lower than on shafts and blades :)

I live in MTL and I can't find any high end blades anywhere.. Only ones I see around are the apx and s19.

I will never buy a one piece again... As long as I can find a good source for blades...

Can anyone recommend a good online store that has a good blade selection?

BASE Hockey sticks are also available as tapered 2-piece, or separate shafts and blades. And since they ship from B.C. you don't have to deal with duties and brokerage fees.

Nowadays' tapered shaft and blade combos are behind in performance; every top end stick on the market nowadays has an extreme/unconventional taper or isn't your typical fused construction. They are aligning more with the stick below top-end in terms of performance.

While I totally agree with this statement, I have to wonder, how many average beer league players are really going to notice the difference in performance?

For my money, a quality two piece stick beats the pants off of a one piece stick in the same price range. There really is no comparison. The mid level and lower OPS are heavy, pingy, and all around uncomfortable to play with. I can honestly say, I would use a wood stick before I used most of the mid to low end OPS on the market.

I use a 2 piece stick. I just can't justify spending $100 on a stick anymore. Since most of my sticks break on the heel of the stick, it's more economical to just buy a two-piece and just replace the blade every few months. Also, my current two-piece, a Warrior AK27 shaft with an Easton Zetterberg wood blade, is the best setup I've ever had. It's lighter than most of the OPS you could pay $100 for.

I use a 2 piece stick and have no plans to change.

Currently have a One95 shaft with an Easton ST blade and it's great, also have an Easton ST shaft blade combo, again its great.

I also own a mission top line ops but I don't feel it's any different apart from its a little lighter. I never use it, prefer the 2 piece set up.

I think alot of people assume that a ops regardless of price will outperform a 2 piece, which is not the case at all.

Back to Harrow blades-

I use them almost exclusively for my 2 piece setups. They have solid curves and are good for the price.

Harrow shafts I have not liked. They get real soft after a month or so. at least that is my experience.

I would try the Sherwood t90 shaft. $100bucks in tapered or standard. My favorite shaft so far.

I like the Harrow blades too. I've had really good luck with them, and Harrow will replace the blade if it breaks in the first 30 days. I hadn't heard of any other companies offering that. Of course, I've only been able to take advantage of that once. Still, for the price, they are great blades. I haven't noticed any difference in performance versus Easton blades. I had a shaft too, and loved it. I like boxy shafts and the Harrow 300 is perfect. Mine broke, and I found a great deal on a Sher-Wood 1 piece.

I don't think 2 piece sticks or wood sticks will go away any time soon. I suppose wood sticks could disappear if the cost of wood sticks approaches that of entry-level composites, or if low-end OPS can achieve the puck feel of a wood stick...or if the gap narrows significantly on both.

I think the decline of 2-piece sticks is both consumer and manufacturer driven. We (LHS) don't have very many people come looking for 2-piece sticks, but most manufacturers are making fewer options in terms of tapered/standard, flex profile, blade pattern, so some former 2-piece users are steered in the direction of OPS unless they're willing to switch to what is available.

I think the two biggest advantages to a 2-piece setup are:

1. Cost - you get a "new" stick by replacing the blade or shaft when broken/whipped out

2. Versatility - you can combine blade/shafts from different manufacturers, giving you blade pattern/shaft combinations that aren't otherwise available.

If you compare a top-end shaft/blade combo to it's OPS counterpart (e.g. Bauer TotalOne) I can get a TotalOne shaft ($120 US) and a TotalOne blade ($60 US) for a total of $180, whereas the TotalOne OPS is $50 more.

In my opinion, most people will notice the difference in performance between that combo, and a TotalOne OPS ($230 US).

However, compared to a similarly priced OPS ($190 Bauer One100) I think most people would perceive significantly less difference between the two.

I don't think a top-end S/B combo performs as well as its OPS counterpart (by name) but it does compare very closely with a similarly priced OPS.

Add to that you can get the performance comparable to a new One100 for $60 with each subsequent blade, the savings can add up, with very little performance difference.

What kind of Easton blade are you using??

A "Synergy Lami" wood blade. I think they're discontinuing it. All of Easton's new wood blades are "Synergy Pro"

A "Synergy Lami" wood blade. I think they're discontinuing it. All of Easton's new wood blades are "Synergy Pro"

i think easton Lami is much better (but heavier) than synergy pro.

Yes, I think 2 piece setups are dying because there are literally no kids who buy 2 piece sticks. Like when I went to my school hockey tourney I was the only guy I could see with a 2piece I saw a million crappy ops but that was it. The stupidest part was when some kids from my team where slamming my ak shaft calling it a "duster twig". This is coming from guys with fricken vapor x2.0s and warrior esquires.

Anyway that's just my say on the matter.

Ill keep using 2peice setups as long as blades are still available and everyone at the rinks break their nice OPS and then throw them in a trashcan. I went to a tournament 2 weeks ago and walked away with 4 new shafts(2apx, r8, and a dolo) all in my flex. Actually the r8, I got a shaft and a blade out of it. The stick cracked right above the blade tenon so I cut the stick clean to create a shaft and then heated and pulled the blade. Put the blade back in and added an extention and its as good as new for just the cost of a wood extention. Did the same thing with the dolo.

So put me in the category of people like nice sticks but try to spend as little as possible.

A high end shaft is like over $120 now. A high end blade is $60. Many people would rather just spend the money on new one piece sticks, even if they are lower end or heavier.

That's what got me out of the two piece game. I could sort of live with the cost of the shaft, but once blades got into the $60 range I stopped.

Selection had a hand in it too. I was never able to find blades I like at my local shop.

FWIW, the team I play for is sponsored by Harrow so I've started using a Harrow S + B, and notice a huge difference than the TotalOne and one100s I was using before.