Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zinger

Are Two Piece Stick Set ups dying?

I can't find good selection of blades/shafts anywhere! Especially tapered!

I've been using dolomite and ak27 shafts and I'm looking to change. I don't like the total one, durability was a huge issue for me.

It just seems like manufacturers aren't putting any importance on two pieces setups any more.

Personally, I don't see the benefits of using a one piece if you don't play competitive anymore.

What do you guys think? Are two pieces dying?

I really don't notice a big difference going from 2 piece setups to OPS and back, as long as they're of similar quality/kick. I don't know that I'd say that 2 pieces are dying. Seems like most manufacturers have good 2 piece setups available in current models.

APX, 11K, CCM CS, Combat 52 Cal are a tapered shafts available out there.

I have an APX, AK27, Total One, and an X:60 shaft and still stock up on blades. It's a lot easier to try out curves that way.

Two piece setups can weigh a bit more than OPS, but nothing too noticeable and tapered setups can be very light.

My all time fave setup is still a Bauer G3 shaft (cut from OPS) with a Dolo tapered shaft.

It looks like, although manufacturers still offer 2-piece setups, the LHS don't stock them.

I guess margins probably lower than on shafts and blades :)

I live in MTL and I can't find any high end blades anywhere.. Only ones I see around are the apx and s19.

I will never buy a one piece again... As long as I can find a good source for blades...

Can anyone recommend a good online store that has a good blade selection?

Two-piece setups are awesome bc when something breaks you only replace one part. Also, they help drilling down into curve choices. I end up taking a black sharpie to my blades so when I play I only see blade and puck. Depends on the OPS construction regarding performance as some OPS are fused and some are mono comp.

It looks like, although manufacturers still offer 2-piece setups, the LHS don't stock them.

Exactly. You'd be hard-pressed to find a shop that has a great selection of shafts/blades. Easier to sell an OPS.

Have you looked at Harrow Hockey? They seem to have a pretty good variety of 2 piece sticks. I was checking out their website and I am probably going to try them out next.

Giancarlo thanks for the tip, will check them out..

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Harrow blades?

I have an APX, AK27, Total One, and an X:60 shaft and still stock up on blades. It's a lot easier to try out curves that way.

Two piece setups can weigh a bit more than OPS, but nothing too noticeable and tapered setups can be very light.

My all time fave setup is still a Bauer G3 shaft (cut from OPS) with a Dolo tapered shaft.

Combat tapered is not available.....

The 52 Cal shaft was available in both standard and tapered.

I think the 52 cal is only available as tapered in custom orders.

Why dont you just ask your dealer to order what you want?

I dont stock any blades or shafts but happily order them for people when they ask.

I live in MTL and I can't find any high end blades anywhere.. Only ones I see around are the apx and s19.

Sports Rousseau in Laval has an impressive selection of blades. Shafts, on the other hand... not so impressive

i have seen a lot of mako shaft and blades around at my LHSs since about a week ago.

Really? They were only released today...the OPS line anyhow.

Sports Rousseau in Laval has an impressive selection of blades. Shafts, on the other hand... not so impressive

Have you been there recently? Bunch of crap. Rousseau is over-priced, they don't care all the good stuff, they're overloaded on Reebok (probably cuz of the proximity of their HQ) and their staff don't know ****...only encountered one guy at Rousseau who knew his stuff, young kid, knew his skates inside out, wouldnt be surpised if he was a member here lol

I have asked my dealer to order me most of the blades that i`ve had, but's it's a hassle for both of us...it would be nice to be able to hop in to a store, check the blade/shaft out and walk out with it.

What are some of your 2 piece setups?

Giancarlo thanks for the tip, will check them out..

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Harrow blades?

I've used one for about 3 seasons now. Took a chip out of the bottom a while ago and still going strong. Been very impressed with them for the price.

Really? They were only released today...the OPS line anyhow.

yes, they have had the shafts/blades for at least a week. the one piece sticks were available yesterday ( i went late in the day and they had just put them on the racks) at one place i went to, but peranis wont have them until tuesday. not sure why they were released at different times (ops and separate pieces)

I check ebay a little obsessively and have had pretty decent luck with shafts and blades. You may want to consider paying the (very reasonable) fee here on MSH for access to the buy/sell columns on here. Great place to find some pretty cool stuff.

@Zinger - To answer your question about what setups some of us have, I use just about all TPS XN10 shafts, both tapered and standard. I've toyed with some other ones, but keep coming back to those. My current gamers are are TPS R9XN10 tapered shaft with pro stock One95 tapered Sakic clone, TPS R2XN10 with TPS Afinogenov tapered blade and a TPS RLXN10 shaft and a P92 One 95 or P88 One90 blade.

You mentioned using Dolos and AK setups.... if you still like those, a lot of US online retailers are selling those pretty cheaply right now. Not sure about what's available for Canadian shoppers online, though.

A lot of questions but I will take on a couple of them.

Yes, two pieces are dying. A lot of players will now buy a mid or lower end one piece stick instead of a two piece combo. It makes sense in some ways, as they can get a brand new stick for roughly the same price as a composite blade. Sure the performance isn't going to be the same, but most of those guys care more about price than about performance. That brings us to one of your other points....

I'm no pro, but the performance difference with the one piece sticks I use (or the tapered combos I used to use) gave me significantly more enjoyment than lower performance sticks. Quicker release on your wrist shot means more goals and more shots on net as the defenders have less time to block them. No, the feel isn't as good as a wood blade, but I can live with it as I don't have to replace them all that often. Oddly enough, I spend less on high end composite OPS over the course of a year than I did on wood sticks or custom wood blades. If you use the sticks for shooting instead of slashing, they generally last a fairly long time.

I find the blade selection leaves a lot to be desired. I can always find a blade, but not always the right curve or model.

I love the one-piece sticks, but after blowing through a couple $300 sticks too quickly, I've found I'm just as good with a solid two-piece setup.

I currently have an AK-27 with a AK-27 Gionta blade. Just picked up a Dynasty shaft and a P14 Bauer APX blade.