Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mxpowder

Easton Mako Stick

I thought the Easton Mako stick was released a couple days ago? Thought we would have some reviews up by now comparing the Mako to the RS and other top brand sticks? Anyone? Unless I'm looking in wrong spot, only found one commercial review and not much else on Internet.

Not looking for "final judgement", just some initial impressions. I know we're not going to have durability results yet, just would like to hear some feed back as I consider my next stick purchase.

take it with a grain of salt since I've only been playing inline lately so your experience may vary, but I feel like the Mako has a much better puck feel than the RS. I've been recently using the Widow, RS, TotalOne and Mako (despite all intentions to get back to tier 2, upper mid-level sticks to save some money lol), and the Mako is my first pick right now. Granted I've only gotten to use it twice before a shoulder injury a week ago, but it's got good feel and a good, smooth release when shooting

Awesome release, good puck feel, nice stiff feeling blade, and the weighting is great. Not too light, not too heavy. Very nicely balanced. It does mark up easily though.

Is the finish chipping or is it just marks on the clear coat that can rub out?

I have a pro stock SE16 painted as a Mako but have only managed one inline game with it. The stick checks I gave/received did not chip paint off, but the retail version may have different results...

I am thinking of picking up a retail version this weekend....

Awesome release, good puck feel, nice stiff feeling blade, and the weighting is great. Not too light, not too heavy. Very nicely balanced. It does mark up easily though.

I agree with this. I've shot with it quite a few times and although I must say the kick isn't as good as the RS', it's still significant. It also feels very sturdy...not ST sturdy, but I just get a good first impression of it.

It's a matte coating, not a gloss coat so the marks are on top of the coating instead of chipping it away, but they aren't coming off the way you can just rub marks off a glossier finish.

I used my teammates for all of 3 minutes during a warmup last week. I've been using the RS since July last year, and that stick honestly may be the best one Easton has released in a very long time. The Mako has an awesome release, nice puck feel, and a great balance. Those were the first impressions I got from taking about 25 shots. To me, the RS has a better kick, the Mako has a better feel. The shaft profiles are different; I prefer the RS though that might be because I haven't used anything else consistently since I bought my RS sticks.

On the aesthetics... Easton upped the bar. Putting both sticks next to each other, they are both extremely attractive. The white scheme definitely grew on me.

Similar flex profile to me, though different. RS had more of a low mid-kick. I've never been the best judge of that though. What I do know, is that I can't use true mid kick sticks. I had no issues shooting with either the RS or Mako.

Weight is good. The shaft has a few issues, it went soft pretty quick, and flexes noticeably higher up the shaft than most top end sticks. The white paint obviously is prone to chipping. The bottom of my blade is "pitting" but I think it's just white paint wearing off. After a week of use the blade is still solid, but the shaft seems to torque on heavy slap shots and one timers.

Bottom line; nicer than EQ50, not as nice as SE16, and overpriced at $229, in my opinion.

I held it in store, and it felt pretty nice, but i think the price tag is going to deter me. from what the rep at the store said its basically just a SE16 painted differently with a few "upgrades". there were a few 130 range sticks there that felt just as nice to me

Weight is good. The shaft has a few issues, it went soft pretty quick, and flexes noticeably higher up the shaft than most top end sticks. The white paint obviously is prone to chipping. The bottom of my blade is "pitting" but I think it's just white paint wearing off. After a week of use the blade is still solid, but the shaft seems to torque on heavy slap shots and one timers.

Bottom line; nicer than EQ50, not as nice as SE16, and overpriced at $229, in my opinion.

How long have you used the stick?

I was quite suprised to see Ice Warehouse lists the RS as lighter than the Mako? I thought that was the bid deal about the Mako and how light it was?

I don't think its lighter. But it is very well balanced. As I said, its heavy enough to feel sturdy in my hands, while the RS doesn't. Though it is supposedly a se16 repaint with a few extra features, it feels quote different to me. I prefer it over my se16.

i have an rs right now and i love it. im picking up a mako sometime this week and ill let you guys know how i would compare it. after awhile though i felt that my rs lost its "pop" when letting go some shots. hopefully the mako doesnt feel like that. switching from my x60, to the total one, to a se16 and rs, i personally like the feel of the rs. lets hope the mako beats it for $199...

Your right about Pure Hockey's review which I take with a grain of salt. I'd also like to hear reviews from people not selling or benefiting from sales.

big question is; will the Mako be the bomb like the SE16 (arguably the NHL's most popular twig of all time), or a mega-fiasco like the EQ50?

No because of the color and no because the visible heel weights are gone.