Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZombieAttack27

How dangerous are visors?

The local junior team wears visors but one player has wore a cage since day one since hes on the pk 90% of the time. Some guys have lost teeth this season while wearing a visor. Its all what you wanna wear. but its your call

In a men's league game last week and my buddy with a visor got hit right in the face with the shot. He broke his jaw and his teeth are a mess. It was pretty brutal. Your call, but like many of the guys have said, there are so many things going against wearing a visor in recreational play.

growing up i had a half visor built into cage. thats to this day my favorite combination because you have some direct vision increased visibility, but keeping the visor clean was a pain and i cant find replacement shields for it anymore. I have been using a cage that came with my newest helmet (purchased 4 years ago) and i find it to be good enough for beer league play. id consider a visor if and only if i could find a team dumb enough to pay me to play.

in terms of the theory that you will get hit less in the beer leagues, i have NEVER had that great of a slap shot, but i ripped one pretty good from the point during the playoffs last season and a guy literally blocked the shot with the bottom of his cage. had he a visor on, he would have either ducked out of the way, or would have been missing teeth. just last week i was playing in a tournament and an opposing player was knocked off balance and his stick flung up and accidentally caught the bottom of my cage. i always wear a mouth guard, so i probably would have been fine, but you dont want to chance anything based off a skill level.

You're from Mendham right? You probably have a pretty face, so wear the cage. :laugh:

I tried the visor playing a decent level pick up on Monday nights over at Mennen. Nothing overly bad happened to me. Busted open my lip because a guy shorter than me stopped short in front of me and I ate his helmet. Little shit like that that you don't think about was enough for me to put the cage back on...

I switched from goalie to forward 6 months ago and have worn a visor the whole time. Since then I've taken a puck to the chin (stitches), puck to the cheek, and two sticks to my mouth. I haven't lost any teeth but bled pretty good each time. I'm pretty sure I'll be putting a cage on soon.

always wore a visor, which was relatively small straight one... read this thread last night and in today's pickup game ate a puck for the first time! Thanks God for a well fitting mouthpiece, just a busted lip. I am considering a cage now.

When I started playing rec league again a couple years ago I started using a visor. Then in the first game of the season this year my point shot was deflected and one of my own teammates had to go get 3 stitches. He switched to the cage the very next game and I played another couple before switching. I think another 2 or 3 guys have switched to the cage as well this year.

After switching I can say I'm more confident blocking shots and I have had a couple sticks come up that I'm glad I was wearing a cage.

Seen some horific injuries with guys wearing visors...

Ill be the first to admit that they look a thousand times better than cages...but its really not worth the risk...ive see AAA level guys lose teeth in pick up games...

Most regular guys dont make 2 mil a year and arent elite athletes who have girls throwing themselves at them...

If i were the above...i would wear a visor in a heartbeat :)

Every time I consider taking the cage off the next game I catch a stick that would knock a couple teeth out, so the cage stays.

I've been wearing a visor for the last 15 years. I consider myself lucky to have not suffered an injury because of it. For tournament play I plan to keep the visor, but once the Re-Akt is available I will be switching to that for league/rec play.

You're from Mendham right? You probably have a pretty face, so wear the cage. :laugh:

I tried the visor playing a decent level pick up on Monday nights over at Mennen. Nothing overly bad happened to me. Busted open my lip because a guy shorter than me stopped short in front of me and I ate his helmet. Little shit like that that you don't think about was enough for me to put the cage back on...

Haha, you recognized the logo in my prof pic? What high school team did you play for?

Wore a visor in juniors and a cage in college. If the team you are going to be playing on is full contact and you are going to wear the visor you WIll get cut and you will probably get some dental damage. If it is non contact you will probably still get cut and eventually take a stick or puck to the chompers.

Cage is less "cool" but, as it has been said on here countless times, "if you not getting paid to play" then wear it. Cant count how many times it has saved me-->I actually just took a 80+ mph slapshot to the cage the other day. Plus, I don't care what people say after wearing it for 5 minutes you forget its there.

Last thing, battle wounds from garbage league hockey aren't going to impress the ladies they will just make you look stupid.

I opt for bigger visors, currently rocking a certified Bauer RBE I for roller and a Bauer HLC for beer league. I also use a mouthguard. I get the risks, but enjoy the visor over cage.

As a short guy, I can't count the number of times sticks hit my cage. While a couple of those could have been pretty bad, deflections are the main reason I wear the cage.

the consensus seems to be overwhelming so not much left to say

but just to add my .5: maybe it’s not an issue in the show where visors are replaced after every scratch, but under normal use nobody mentioned that visors also snap sometimes causing quite a bit of damage… I once caught an elbow in my 4 something years old Oakley Pro visor and it snapped breaking my nose…

Haha, you recognized the logo in my prof pic? What high school team did you play for?

Grew up in North Plainfield. Not enough white kids that play hockey there, but I played travel my whole life. I coach for the Colonials, so I've seen you guys play in passing a bunch of times...

the consensus seems to be overwhelming so not much left to say

but just to add my .5: maybe it’s not an issue in the show where visors are replaced after every scratch, but under normal use nobody mentioned that visors also snap sometimes causing quite a bit of damage… I once caught an elbow in my 4 something years old Oakley Pro visor and it snapped breaking my nose…

Two things likely at play there and neither of them are the visors fault. My first guess is that you had to bend the visor a touch to attach it to the helmet and for it to stay in that slightly stressed position for 4 years, it was only a matter of time before some kind of contact broke it. You should check your visor for cracks or signs of stress and you shouldn't be forcing them to the helmet.

This is my thing about visors...

If I had a full medical staff on the other side of the glass ready with towels and stitches to fix me up whenever needed, sure I'd wear a visor.

Sadly, the most that is in a beer league game is someones bored girlfriend reading a magazine at 10:30pm.

So the cage stays.

The old farts on my team that wear visors never seem to get hit in the face, except for one time in the last 3 years. Not sure how that works out. Maybe they are just lucky.

This is my thing about visors...

If I had a full medical staff on the other side of the glass ready with towels and stitches to fix me up whenever needed, sure I'd wear a visor.

Sadly, the most that is in a beer league game is someones bored girlfriend reading a magazine at 10:30pm.

So the cage stays.

wait, your team gets living persons to show up? need a RW????

I have a visor on one of my helmets and a cage on another. i use the visor for stick class or just practice. Use the cage for games.

This thread should come with a warning. Read it yesterday. Then last night in a scrimmage someone popped a puck up hard into my cage.

Will always stay with the cage. Once you stop thinking about it, there is no problem. I have that gun-metal grey Bauer with the thin-profile wire.

i use Visors, i've taken pucks to the visor that could have resulted in a destroyed eye or broken orbital bones, thankfully i had a visor on.

i use mouthguards. And i've despised cages forever, never liked the feel, i've taken full speed collisions and helmet cages to the mough on the lower side of the visor and had my lips torn up a few times. Still wearing one, in fact i've switched out visors like 12 times in three years just to try different ones.

If you play in a lower level league i suggest you wear a cage though, once you get to the C level and below it gets pretty dangerous, those guys dont care about anything they're reckless with their sticks, and have no shot control, and it just gets worse and worse. I've subbed for a few C and D league teams because my friends asked me to and i'll never go back, one puck went straight up and hit my visor, another a guy lifted his stick at me and his stick blade came under the visor and up and he ripped my helmet off. It was like playing with morons.

when i've played with higher level guys, the play is fantastic, amazing feel, great speed that sometimes i have a hard time keeping up with, and none of that crap stated above

Accidents happen, and i've read this topic and nothing has happened to me because i dont go to the rink thinking about it, i go to the rink thinking about getting a goal.