Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vf-x

How do you stitch on extra padding to elbow pads?

I'm not very good with needle and thread, but I'm contemplating adding a cuff to my elbow pads after getting slashed twice in a month (once on each arm). I considered bidding on some Rbk 8K pro, but the final bid was just north of $200 (beyond what I would consider paying for elbow pads).

Is there a special thread that needs to be used? Or is there some special stitching technique? My main consideration beyond the actual protection is that the padding doesn't come off during a game or practice.

TIA,

Ray

Have you considered just using a separate slash guard?

Fairly difficult to hand sew pads. You can rent time with a single stitch industrial sewing machine like a juki or go to a tailor or cobbler to have it done, which is the easier option.

DIY is a fairly simple thing to do ONLY if you know how to operate a sewing machine, because not every brand threads the same or are the bobbins wound the same way.

Use heavy duty polyester thread. Coats and Clark or gutermann are reliabe thread brands. Plus make sure you use a heavy duty needle size like a 16 or 18.

The actually sewing is the easy part but you have to make sure to backstitch properly.

I'd echo the previous advice on either getting elbows with enough protection, or using secondary wrist/slash guards (Easton and Shock Doctor make some good ones)

As for home stitching, you can go the industrial/mechanical route if you have access and are proficient, or you can use a sewing awl. Speedy Stitcher and the Awl-for-all are good ones. They use thick, waxed nylon thread.

Get a speedy stitcher and stitch away! Just remember that it doesn't have to look pretty, it just has to stay attached. Putting a cuff on elbow pads should be a fairly easy project...but not as easy as just buying slash guards.

Got a pair of those. Awesome protection and keep elbow pads from slipping and sweat dripping into gloves . And, they are flexible.

I've never heard of Maltese before. I'll have to check them out. I was worried that slip on guards may slip down during play, negating the protection I wanted in the first place. All I have available locally appears to be Easton.

Whatever kind of padding you come up with, take it to a shoe cobbler, have them rivet the pad in. When the stitching in my shoulder pads blew out I had the caps riveted back on and never had a problem again. Takes all of twenty minutes to have done.

Good thread. I always have a gap between gloves and elbow pads due to being 6'2" with long arms, but wearing medium elbow pads. I have warrior wrist band style slash guards, but they slide all over the place. I need to attach something to the elbow pad