Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Easton RS Skates

For those wondering about junior sizes, I got a pair for my daughter. She was wearing S17's that were size 4 and they were on the verge of being painfully small. I called Easton, Total Hockey and Hockey Monkey and they all ASSURED me that the sizing would be the same as the Stealth line, so the logical jump would be to a 4.5. I ordered the 4.5, we tried them on... probably half a size too big. Instead of going through the pain of returning them, we decided to keep them. She was going to grow into them within a few months anyway. So, we had them baked and sharpened and she skated on them in her first game at the Yankee Conference Festival.. well.. warmed up in them. It was a big stage to be skating on new skates without having a single practice in them, and she was a nervous wreck. We switched her to her S17s and shelfed the RS's until we got back to the hotel. There was an outdoor rink at the hotel in Providence, so we went down there and she skated on them for about 30 minutes and concluded that although they were still a little big, they were better than the S17s to skate in. So she skated her next game in them and by the end of the game, I noticed HUGE improvements in her maneuverability and confidence in finding seams. While not ideal, they are still (even a little big) an improvement over what she was wearing beforehand.

So.. the lesson here is that they run a little bigger than the previous Stealth line (SE16, S17, et al), but still not as big as what you would get from Bauer or CCM where 4.5 is just WAAAAY too big for her.

I hope that is helpful for anyone looking to get a pair for the little skater.

I hope that helps.

There is a recurring pattern that most people who require a particular size in other brands would require a half size jump in Easton skates pre EQ5. That includes your S17. The RS size accordingly to other brands. For example, it's likely that if you were to fit in a size 8 in other brands, you might need an 8.5 in S17s, S15s, SE16s etc. whereas you would likely have better luck going back to an 8 in the RS. For growing kids though, especially for the many who have different sized feet, this observation might not apply, which is a reason why one should always get fitted first hand and not guess.

I found that it was a complete size jump for juniors. Looks like a 1/2 size jump may be closer to the mark with the RS skates. I compared the insoles of the size 4 S17 to the 4.5 RS and saw what looks to be between 1/2 and 1 size difference. So in essence, the RS skates are in all reality, probably 1/2 size too big.

I ordered a pair of junior sized Superfeet for the skates in hopes to take up a little bit of negative space. They were a perfect fit with no trimming necessary.

She skated on the RS's fine, even though they were a bit bigger than I had hoped. As much as she loves them now, she is really going to love them when her feet grow that extra 1/4". Not having a chance to break them in with practice sessions, and jumping right into a game situation, she didn't complain of any sore or hot spots on her feet. She was also wearing Easton Stealth skate socks, which are very thin. I am going to put her into a pair of shock doctor skate socks which are more protective around the ankle and a little thicker in the footbed. She begins spring hockey practices next weekend, so she will be able to log plenty of hours in them before her first spring tournament in May.

As for the performance of the skates, she noticed that they were lighter than her S17's, she was able to lace them all the way up without affecting her stride (she likes most skates one hole down with a heavy tongue flip) and they really gave her confidence getting out to the extreme edges of her blades. Her turning radius was far less than what I had seen the previous 3 games. All in all, the RS seems like a quantum leap over the older Stealth line in terms of both comfort and performance.

I TRIED.. I mean TRIED to get her into the Mako's. No dice. From a female perspective they are just... "Ewwww" in terms of appearance. I think they look pretty hot, but she does NOT agree. She thinks by the time she is ready for a new pair of skates, Easton will see the err in their ways and make them all black and then she will get a pair.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for their helpful insight. I feel pretty good in the decision to go with the RS skates. Transitional skate or not, they seem to be a step in the right direction for Easton and my skater.

You can see my review in the Equipment Review section now. Overall, I was pleased with the skate, though not impressed or amazed by any means.

Still real happy with the skates. However, have been an issue that I think I know why, but not 100%. Originally, I was having a lot of cramping pain at my arch. I tried all the different levels of arch support that the stock insole offers. That didn't help. I was using yellow superfeet in my Bauer's previously so I moved them over to the Easton skates. This helped immediately. However, when I have the laces tightened so that my foot is all locked down and comfortable I slowly get the cramping/pain again near the back of my arch. Any ideas on what is causing this? My assumption is that to get the comfort/feel I want around the other areas of my foot that I'm tightening the lacing to tight over the arch. Those that may have experienced this previously.....any ideas? Other than this pain....I've been very pleased with the skates.

its suggested that one should rebake a pair of skates once superfeet has been places in because your foot changes position slightly within the skate.

Ok, thanks. I'll give that a try. I've been on the fence about baking them as they were purchased used (MSH user had used them 5 times max) and baked once. The heal pocket fit so great that I didn't want to potentially risk opening it up with another bake. But if a bake can potentially fix the pain issue I'll give it a go.

you should be fine durability and performance wise with a second and even third bake given that the rs is a high end skate. once on your problem foot, I would suggest putting light pressure towards the problem spot, such as stepping down on that skate to expand it slightly. common sense is needed obviously lol let us know how it goes.

Still real happy with the skates. However, have been an issue that I think I know why, but not 100%. Originally, I was having a lot of cramping pain at my arch. I tried all the different levels of arch support that the stock insole offers. That didn't help. I was using yellow superfeet in my Bauer's previously so I moved them over to the Easton skates. This helped immediately. However, when I have the laces tightened so that my foot is all locked down and comfortable I slowly get the cramping/pain again near the back of my arch. Any ideas on what is causing this? My assumption is that to get the comfort/feel I want around the other areas of my foot that I'm tightening the lacing to tight over the arch. Those that may have experienced this previously.....any ideas? Other than this pain....I've been very pleased with the skates.

Just saw your post. I have the same issue with the RS. Didnt have that pain with the S17 or Mako, but with the RS when I remove the skates after a game, I am in a lot of the pain of the bottom of both feet. I have a really high arch and use the red sole. I haven't used them at all that much, I guess my foot has to get used to the better support.

I replaced the tongues in mine with a thicker felt tongue. They're glued and stitched like most skates. Rip the stitches from the top and peel back the synthetic leather material, then push down to pull the glued felt away from the underside of the toe cap. Some felt and glue will likely be stuck to the underside of the toe cap afterwards but you can scrape it off.

Looking at the prices on these skates, I would think that they are the best deal in skates right now... if they fit your your feet. The best skate is not coincidentally the most comfortable skate. My 12 year old daughter wears these skates and just loves them. I am kicking myself now that I see the prices for them (I paid $329, they are now $199), but even at full price they are a very very good skate.

Has anybody transitioned to these from either ccm's or Easton s17's? Just trying to see if someone has done the transition I'm contemplating

My daughter came from S17. These run a little bigger. For instance, she was a Jr 4 in the S17 so when she outgrew them, the natural thought was go for the 4.5, they were too big. She likes them better in every aspect over the S17 though and she skates 4-5 times a week.

I just bought a pair of these skates, was in an RBZ5.5(Jr. - as they run 1/2 size bigger- normally a size6 in skates), but the volume was lacking a bit, and there is stitching where the toebox meets the boot that was pressing on the outside of my little toe, causing much pain....

Went to PH, and tried on VaporX60(again)- the V heel is too bothersome, and the toebox is slightly narrow(can feel that spot on the right little toe in them too), Tried the RBZ70 senior in a size 6- the volume difference was just too much compared to the Jr. size 5.5(which wasn't quite enough), I was floating in these, tried the Supreme One7- Wasn't confident they would bake tight enough around the heel and forefoot- toebox had a bit too much room, tried the Graf 5035- these fit pretty well- not perfect, much better than anything else I had tried on up to the point....but I have read grumblings regarding quality and CS these days.....

Then I tried on the RS size6, and man, it was like an obscenely rich and beautiful woman just came up and asked me to marry her, make lotsa babies, while she gave me 20K a month just to hang out and party!

Toebox is slightly wider than the Vapors(perfect), forefoot and heel feel tighter than the Supremes, fit just right on me.....right outta the box!

Baked them, and hoping to get skating on them tomorrow.

These are $399 now, so they are a somewhat reasonable price....and although much more than I wanted to spend, they are only 40 more than the One.7's.

Hopefully I feel as happy tomorrow afternoon as I do today.

I'm considering picking up a pair of these skates. I have been in 11ks for the last few years and love 'em. I'm in an 8.5 E in the 11ks, and they felt good without ever baking them. I would have preferred to have the 11ks in EE width, but they worked out fine. Flexlite 4.0 pros felt great off the ice (size 8.5EE), but the boots were too deep for my liking.

Currently, I've been trying a pair of Graf Ultra G3s in 9W. The boots feel great, but skating feels so weird that I don't know if I can get used to them (even with the stock steel replaced with Step Steel). I have only given it a few hours, so I haven't given up just yet. I skate well, and am generally able to adjust to new skates/holders pretty quickly. This is the first time that new skates have felt so strange to me.

I'm considering picking up a pair of the RS skates and selling the G3s, but I have a few questions (I've read the entire topic). I can wear 8.5 or 9 in Bauer/CCM, as long as it is wide. I prefer 8.5. Is an 8.5EE RS likely to have a similar fit to my 11Ks in 8.5E? I'm also wondering if the holders are difficult for most folks to transition to from Tuuk or ePro. The other option I'm considering is biting the bullet and mounting different holders and Step Steel on the Grafs. Unfortunately, I live quite a distance from anywhere that I could try these on/purchase them.

Thanks in advance for any input.

The holders aren't that hard to move to from Tuuks. I had to do a bit of tinkering with the Elite steel because of how much more steel it starts out with on the toe and heel.

I am wondering if anyone could comment on how the fit of the Easton RS and EQ50 junior skates are compared to the EQ5s (specifically EQ444s). My girlfriend needs new skates and likes how her beat up and extremely soft EQ444s are fit wise and she doesn't like change. For the price I don't think the EQ50s or Easton RS could be beat right now. She wears a 5.5D in the EQ444 and we went around to all the LHS and no one carries the EQ50s any more or the have ever carried the RS. That rules out going somewhere and trying them on, so can anyone comment on how the EQ444/EQ5 compare to the EQ50s and RS?