Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jds

Pickup is a blast and league play sucks. How come?

Like others have said, being on the right team makes a huge difference. When I first started ice, a bunch of us transitioned from roller together. For almost two years, we had a great team and for the most part got along really well, regardless of winning or losing. As we started to lose players due to work, school, etc., and picked up random players, things went downhill. Some of the new players were selfish and only cared about stats. We eventually disbanded and split into two teams, with one group moving up a level. As I've moved and played at different rinks around the bay area, I've found that in general, the teams that were fun to play on balanced playing time for everyone. The not-so-fun teams were the ones where the "good" players hogged the power play, penalty kill, and last 5 minutes of the game. Now I've moved up to the Sacramento area and I'm the new guy on a team. Even though we haven't won a game yet, most of the guys on the team are great to get along with and ice time is distributed equally.

Yeah, losing is no fun. Sounds like you're in one of those seasons where even playing .500 is out of reach. I just have to force myself after such games to quell the emotion and remind myself that it's great to have the chance to play.

I agree completely. The A+ leagues, which are comprised of guys who played seriously but couldn't quite make it past Major Junior, H.S., ECHL or whatever are way less conflict filled in my experience. The better the player, the less they care about meaningless, crap league games.

If only that were true 100% of the time. Sometimes you get the guys that played minors and don't know how to turn that switch off, or get upset when they are challenged by guys who didn't play pro. That sucks a lot of fun out of things and can be dangerous/expensive (My ER bill for Xrays to find out I had 4 broken ribs in March was not cheap).

If only that were true 100% of the time. Sometimes you get the guys that played minors and don't know how to turn that switch off, or get upset when they are challenged by guys who didn't play pro. That sucks a lot of fun out of things and can be dangerous/expensive (My ER bill for Xrays to find out I had 4 broken ribs in March was not cheap).

Ah, you mean the, "How dare you try against me???? Don't you know who I am?????" guys.

i had this same issue, i enjoyed playing pick up alot more. i started to approach league games like pickup games (in essence, go out there, play well, and have fun).

the most important thing that changed it for me, was the having fun part, i was taking games too seriously and actually playing worse. When i started having fun "again", it all changed for me, and league games were just as fun as pick up games.

hope this helps, and as some posters above said, get along with the guys that are on your team. I am a pretty friendly person, and make friends pretty easily, so I was always able to get along with anyone i played on the same team as, and even against oddly enough.

Well said. I enjoy pickup more and actually play better. League games i grip the stick too tight, get chippy, chirping, will gladly return a dirty play, etc. I'm trying to change that, but it's tough when thats how your league is.

I told myself one more season. if i'm not having fun we'll stick to morning pickup where everyone knows everyone and fun is the main goal vs. "winning" which causes some guys to act like complete azzhiles to be frank.

I prefer pick up to the point where I haven't played beer league in years. I like the regular group of guys, all friendly and out to play for some fun and exercise. A group like this just wouldn't be possible in most beer league set up's. The talent pool runs from the couple of us that played juniors/college level hockey to guys that are newer to hockey, and everything in between. Nothing is perfect, even at drop in there are a couple of guys that show up occasionally that take it way too seriously. But that said, it seems like every beer league team has a minimum of four guys taking it way too seriously and it's not entirely uncommon to see whole teams taking it way too seriously.

From a value stand point I can get twice as much ice time at drop in for less than half the price as compared to what it costs in the local big beer league. I really don't feel that refs and keeping score is worth over 30 bucks for less than an hour of ice time. There's also the issue of jerseys and socks. For pick up I'm free to but whatever I want, which happens to be CCM practice jerseys and socks. When you get into the league everyone has to buy matching crap and there seems to always be a contingent of guys that want to buy really high end jerseys. Playing league can really add up fast, and for me personally I think it's over priced.

I'm also not really big on the pressure to attend that comes with league play. I like knowing if something different and more appealing comes up I can skip a skate and no one cares. It also doesn't cost me anything. Between guys being pissy if you can't make a game, and being stuck paying for it whether you skate or not, there's a pressure to play regardless of what else you could be doing.

If you find yourself not enjoying beer league there's nothing wrong with just not playing beer league anymore.

From a value stand point I can get twice as much ice time at drop in for less than half the price as compared to what it costs in the local big beer league.

Another valid point. I get roughly 37-38 min. of ice time at morning pickup for $11/session. Mens league is usually 17-22 min. and comes out to $20 per game.

Mens league is actually almost 4x as expensive.

In regular pick-up games there is usually an effort at least to try and balance the teams so they are close to the same skill level. The last beer league team I was on was a great group of guys but when the league went from 2 divisions down to 1 the disparity between teams was glaring. I was one of the youngest guys on the team in my late 30's then; on many of the others teams I would have been one of the oldest. After going 2-26-2, they decided to disband the team; many players of the team play pickup against another 'team' that dropped out a league years ago.

I can definitely vouch for "having friends on the team makes league play more fun." My beer league team went 1-24-1 this year. I've been playing since I was 6 every year. We had a couple guys that haven't played hockey in 2-3 years, one guy who hasnt played in 4 years, 1 guy who laced em up for the first time this past season so I knew what I was getting myself into. We had fun, people improved, we worked hard and we probably had more fun trying to get 1 win than the teams who had 18+ wins during the season.

Had another league game this week. Another team of kids that skated all over us. The thing was they started taunting our team saying we sucked etc. and ramping up the stick work which drew a couple penalties on our side when our guys retaliated. I really wanted to cream these guys-if there is one thing I absolutely have no time for it's when guys who are good at a particular thing rub it in the faces of those who aren't (that would be me in hockey btw). Everyone was a rookie at one point and everyone is good at something (I really felt like taunting these guys about my ability to vote, buy alcohol,get a driver's licence , tie my own shoes :laugh: ) and I started playing mad which just had me try to hard and get pissed off. A trip to the penalty box made me come to my senses but the on-ice nonsense escalated with the taunting turning to threatening and shoving and all that other BS that I am decades too old for. Refs even had to keep our teams apart in the hallway between the dressing room. A bit of a novelty for me (I was looking forward to a rumble in the parking lot) but really had me questioning the type of people some leagues attract. As many have said, playing with good guys makes all the difference and I agree. I played two hours of pickup this morning and my side lost by 6 but I had a great time because everyone on the ice was a good guy. I can control that with a regular group at pickup but you never know what brand of dick you will run into in league games. We'll see how the season progresses. I will take farhanshak's advice and try to think of my league games as just fun which is really the point isn't it?

I enjoy both for different reasons. My men's league team has played together for many years. These are my friends and there is something about suiting up to do battle with your buds that is appealing. I also enjoy the competitive aspect of league play.

On the other hand I feel must less pressure in pick up. Its just fun and flows and I can try stuff. I go as hard as I want or easy. I have the puck more and try more.

In the end... just love being on the ice... even tho I suck!!!!

I've been playing for almost exactly 3 years now, and I still get nervous as hell before every beer league game.

I come to pickup every morning excited to play. The anxiety of screwing up a play kills me at times, but when I'm calm I have a blast.

I've been playing for almost exactly 3 years now, and I still get nervous as hell before every beer league game.

I come to pickup every morning excited to play. The anxiety of screwing up a play kills me at times, but when I'm calm I have a blast.

Aha! I'm in roughly the same boat except I have been playing for four big years. I do worry about screwing up in beer league and not so much in pickup.

I never really went to pickup until this year for the first time. After doing it 3 times in the past couple months I'm starting to like it better than league play. Less chippy/cheap shots, fast pace, lot of passing and play making, cheaper and more relaxing. If league keeps going the way it has I think I may take time off and just find a couple pickups each week.

Dont let them make you mad/angry take a deep breath and laugh, you play alot better when your having fun. Lets be honest if you get mad at a beer league game, you feel like an idiot after (ive learnt this the hard way).

nothing worse than being angry and losing. Might as well be happy either way

I had my first ice hockey game ever. I hadn't played since I was a kid, and that was roller hockey! I think I skated a total of 20 minutes or so, got an assist and a chance at a goal or two. I had a heck of a lot of fun though. It was a good pick up game. Some guys on my team were about to throw down on each other, felt just like the horror stories I've heard. Anyhow, can't wait to do some more pick up hockey next week!

Last night's game saw four ejections in our 8-2 loss.Three from the team of mouth-running dicks we were playing and one on our team near the end when one of our guys popped a guy after he hit one of our guys from behind. The first ejection on their team was for a guy who would not shut up and kept yapping about how shitty we were and then did the old jerk off hand gesture when the ref called him for unsportsmanlike. That got the guy kicked out and he kept barking all the way to the dressing room. Who are these guys? This is D level for crying out loud. I don't mind losing to better players but losing to dicks is hard to take. I took the advice I have found in this post and just tried to enjoy myself. Worked pretty well. Just a note, down the hall on one of the other pads, there was a 4-on-4 league of OHL and NCAA players going on. No chirping, no cheap shots, no penalties in the entire game which ended 6-1. I guess they don't feel the need to showboat and be assh#@les when they are not trying to prove something. The saga continues.

Those antics always seem to come from guys playing at least a level or two below where the belong. We went through the same thing this week and it gets old very quickly.

I never really went to pickup until this year for the first time. After doing it 3 times in the past couple months I'm starting to like it better than league play. Less chippy/cheap shots, fast pace, lot of passing and play making, cheaper and more relaxing. If league keeps going the way it has I think I may take time off and just find a couple pickups each week.

The cheap shot percentage decreases by 95%. The only risk in pick up games, in my experience, is guys who sometimes don't pay enough attention. I saw two teammates collide at full speed last year during a shinny session and I'm pretty sure one had a concussion.

The cheap shot percentage decreases by 95%. The only risk in pick up games, in my experience, is guys who sometimes don't pay enough attention. I saw two teammates collide at full speed last year during a shinny session and I'm pretty sure one had a concussion.

Funny you say that. Couple weeks ago at pickup two guys on the other team ran into each other not paying full attention. Good thing was both were ok and we continued on quietly.

I think the other thing that is a nice change of pace for pickup is there are props given for nice plays all-around, whether your team or the other.

Had another league game this week. Another team of kids that skated all over us. The thing was they started taunting our team saying we sucked etc. and ramping up the stick work which drew a couple penalties on our side when our guys retaliated. I really wanted to cream these guys-if there is one thing I absolutely have no time for it's when guys who are good at a particular thing rub it in the faces of those who aren't (that would be me in hockey btw).

Just went through this last week. We got routed 9-0 by a bunch of early 20's fresh out of college and Junior. My team is early 30's-50 with some not having played in 20 yrs and/or only a couple years total. Cocky, trying to go through the whole team, laughing, hot dog celebrations after goals, etc. etc. It's the age. Bunch of punks. It's not their fault it's a mismatch, but have some respect. If they were so good they wouldn't be playing us in a Mens league in the prime of their lives.

Got em again in 5 weeks. One of those games that could get real ugly/ intent to injure type plays.

Dont let them make you mad/angry take a deep breath and laugh, you play alot better when your having fun. Lets be honest if you get mad at a beer league game, you feel like an idiot after (ive learnt this the hard way).

Well said sir. Not that I know from experience.lol

I think some people have a tendency to take beer league too seriously and if you take it seriously and you are losing it becomes frustrating. Same goes for pickup, it just happens that people tend to take pickup a lot less seriously than any kind of organized league. I've seen people get really frustrated in pickup too, though.

You play pick up to stay in shape, keep up your skills and have fun. Most people remember that at shinny but not in beer league. It's insane how guys act like they're getting paid to play or some such, sheer lunacy.