Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HockeyButt

Good shoes for ball hockey on slippery surface

Hello,

Playing ball hockey in an ice hockey arena without the ice.

So the floor is very slick. With humidity from nearby pool, dust, sweat, etc

players are constantly sliding around and wiping out.

Some people apply hair spray or pepsi or gatorade to their shoes' soles before

playing to make them a bit sticker and grip the surface better.

Some people recommend indoor soccer shoes with gum rubber soles.

Some people recommend basketball shoes.

Some people recommend court shoes.

So many different opinions!

What do you guys suggest for shoes with the best grip on a slick surface,

but also enough support and cushion for fast running, starts, stops, pivots etc

thanks

reebok zigtech, really good training shoes with an extremely tacky grip but still allows you to move with agile, also endorsed by crosby hehe

I wear either Vibram 5 fingers or New Balance Minimus for all my workouts, daily wear. The grip of the soles is better than any other athletic shoe I have ever used. Went on a 5 mile run on iced over roads this past winter, however not full speed! I trail run in the rain, slippery logs, rocks and such. BUT, if you are used to a lot of support these have none. It would be a recipe for a turned ankle or foot pain to jump right into them.

They both use the same compound vibram sole, so maybe you can find another beefier shoe with the same sole material. I think New Balance makes a road runner with the same sole but beefier padding in the minimus line.

Your rink manager probably wont like you for this but our lacrosse coach used to dump Coca Cola on the floors of the benches to add stick to the shoes. Other than that, just make sure the bottoms of your shoes are dust free because it's the dust that slides. You'll notice lots of basketball players are constantly wiping the bottoms of their soles with their hands to clear off the fine layer of dust that accumulates.

The cola is more of a short term fix, because, it's stick it'll pick up dust and so if you need for a couple shifts (Power play, overtime etc.) use that method, otherwise keep wiping the bottom of your shoes with your hands or a cloth.

I'd recommend either basketball shoes or court/indoor soccer shoes - those are always what we had the best luck with. The court/soccer shoes have a soft compound sole that should help with grip if you keep it clean.

I wear either Vibram 5 fingers or New Balance Minimus for all my workouts, daily wear. The grip of the soles is better than any other athletic shoe I have ever used. Went on a 5 mile run on iced over roads this past winter, however not full speed! I trail run in the rain, slippery logs, rocks and such. BUT, if you are used to a lot of support these have none. It would be a recipe for a turned ankle or foot pain to jump right into them.

They both use the same compound vibram sole, so maybe you can find another beefier shoe with the same sole material. I think New Balance makes a road runner with the same sole but beefier padding in the minimus line.

You'd be begging for a foot injury if you played hockey in these.

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I like the Slip-Nott idea. If I could get the whole team to invest, that'd be good.

Court shoes or indoor soccer shoes are probably the most practical.

There are so many different models of soccer shoes though, each with a different

sole feel, pattern, texture, softness etc.

I have my eye on these 3 shoes. Based on the appearance of the soles, which would you say

would offer the most grip?

Adidas Absolado:

http://www.paragonsports.com/shop/en/Paragon/adidas-absolado-ps-indoor-womens

Puma King:

http://www.shoebacca.com/puma/king-indoor-it-170120-01.html

Nike Tiempo:

http://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-102001/pid-409037/pgid-409038

I'd check out 5.10 shoes, their stealth rubber cannot be beat. They started out in climbing shoes, but make runners and trainers w/stealth rubber soles.

+1 for the adidas stabil series. They have excellent grip on any type of court, plus they have the lateral stability of a much heavier tennis shoe. They might be a little tougher to find as i believe they haven't released a new model since the stabil 7. If you can find a pair they would be perfect for what you are looking for.

For a slick surface, maybe broomball shoes???

I know they are commonly used in boot hockey leagues on outdoor ice.

No idea if they would be good for your surface though.

reebok zigtech, really good training shoes with an extremely tacky grip but still allows you to move with agile, also endorsed by crosby hehe

The grip really isn't very good on these shoes. However I have the first edition of these shoes so I'm sure they've improved the grip on the newer models. The shoes are comfortable as all hell, just very, very slippery

Zigtechs have little lateral suport. I strained my ankle pretty bad playing tennis. though they are a good running shoe' I wouldnt recommend them for anything other than that.

nike gato's amazing grip forget the tiempo's. They are fusbal (indoor court soccer shoes) Honestly, why are you playing there? If its wet, its dangerous - there is alot of stop and go in ball hockey, your just asking for an injury.

I am a huge supporter of minimal shoes in running, and currently own a pair of vibrams myself, however would not suggest a minimal shoe for a sport which would have a lot of lateral movements.