Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmiami

New wax laces killing my fingers

Recently given a pair of wax laces from my buddy that he deemed "too stiff" for him. I absolutely love these laces, don't even remember the brand (perhaps Elite?). I finally have a lace that can tame my X60's.

Problem is that the laces' stiffness makes them dig into my fingers like piano wire. I thought of buying golf gloves for both my hands and nipping off the tips of the fingers, so I would have some cushion while maintaining dexterity when lacing up.

Any thoughs or suggestions appreciated. Cheers.

I have this same problem. One day someone will invent something that tightens your skate laces automatically and I will pay them literally whatever the want for it :)

One thing I've found that helps--instead of pulling up on the laces with your hands/fingers; put your skate up on your heel to start, hold the lace and step down with your toe to tighten the laces. It may not make sense, but I've found that it takes some of the pressure off my fingers (I think its because there is something of a pulley/level effect happening at the eyelet of the skate).

haha i wondered if anyone else ever had this problem. with ultra sticky new waxed laces, by trying to tighten with my fingers, all the sudden i see blood on my new laces. ive ripped the skin from my nail several times doing this. finally bought a lace tightener for when i get new laces. just be ready for your teammates to give you hell about it.

I second the Elite waxed oval laces. I tried using regular waxed laces and they killed my hands. After about a year I heard people talking about Elite oval waxed oval laces. I tried them out and loved them. No pain while tightening and great hold.

The other option would be not pulling them so tightly. I've been using wax laces for years and never cut myself in any way. If your boots fit, you really shouldn't need to go crazy with the laces.

I have this same problem. One day someone will invent something that tightens your skate laces automatically and I will pay them literally whatever the want for it :)

Reebok used to put the BOA system on youth skates, haven't seen them on anything other than rec skates lately.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/2/HockeyIce/Skates/PRDOVR~0833603P/Reebok+BOA+Skates,+Mens.jsp?locale=en

Problem is that the laces' stiffness makes them dig into my fingers like piano wire. I thought of buying golf gloves for both my hands and nipping off the tips of the fingers, so I would have some cushion while maintaining dexterity when lacing up.

Any thoughs or suggestions appreciated. Cheers.

Calluses.

+1 on the lace tighteners. With my waxed laces I will tighten up the boot by hand to make them somewhat snug then do a second pass with lace tigheners in both hands to get the laces and boot dialed in. This has worked really well for me and has saved my hands from much pain.

One thing I've found that helps--instead of pulling up on the laces with your hands/fingers; put your skate up on your heel to start, hold the lace and step down with your toe to tighten the laces. It may not make sense, but I've found that it takes some of the pressure off my fingers (I think its because there is something of a pulley/level effect happening at the eyelet of the skate).

I've been doing that for almost 50 years -- it helps. It also helps that the laces these days aren't nearly as thin as the laces I used when I started, and that modern skates don't need to be tightened as much as those old skates. I used a lace tightener back then (hard enough to bend it regularly), but don't need it now.