Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

t6lock

Help me get out of the way of shots!

I hope that this problem can be solved, because I'm tired of getting ginormous bruises. This one got me right above the thigh pad of my pants in the stretch material area and now I got a big bruise bigger than my palm. Anyways I've had this happen a few times where I'm trying to screen the goalie for a point shot and I just can't get out of the way or I guessed wrong where the puck was going.

I notice in the NHL, the D men rarely hit their forwards in front of the net especially when they are facing the shot. I don't think reaction time of NHL players can be that much quicker (unless you're a goalie) than the average person, or do they know where their teammates are shooting it even before they let it go?

Practice reading the puck, look at the puck, stick, and player's eyes before and during the shot. There really isn't much else you can do on your side except practice reading the shot. Speak with your dman and maybe set up a play or some kind of rule where if you screen he shoots a certain area or something, that may help.

when a pro hockey player gets the puck at the blue line, he has options and the skill to pull them off. beer leaguers have usually made up their mind of what they're going to do before they even get the puck. shooting into a crowd in front of the net isn't exactly a quality scoring chance, so it doesnt happen very often.

also, this is what these guys do for a living.... they're not just out there winging it... almost everything you see has been practised or discussed.

I play with plenty of guys who know how to shoot into crowds and feel no fear of setting screens. Only once did I take a bad one in the thigh and that was because a defenseman was leaning heavy on me and I couldn't move. The trick is to read where the shooter is going with the puck. Also, if your pointmen don't already know, keep reminding them to keep it low. Those shots are more tippable and create more rebounds, anyway.

Defensemen need to realize that most of their shots should not be trying to pick corners for goals. They should be shooting to create tips or rebounds for other players and if they happen to go in it's a bonus. If you are setting a good screen, then their shot placement is much more important than power.

Consider it a beer league job hazard. You can try to talk to the D-men and ask them to keep the shots low but alot of them don't have very much control and just fire away with thier head down hoping it goes somewhere near the net. NHLers have the luxury of praticing with the guys shooting so they know what to expect and where to expect it.

Pro's reaction times, reflexes and natural abilities are alot better than ours, that's one reason they are pros. Remeber they are standind in front looking at a shot coming 90+ mph, we might see 80+ if we're lucky.

First off, you're average rec/beer league d-man does not have the accuracy a pro has. You're high level rec league players might, but more often than not...they do not. Someone said above that, as the person who is setting the screen, you need to learn to read the shooter. This is probably the most important thing since no rec league team, that I know off, practices screening the goalie. I've been playing with the my teams d-men for 2years...some for about 4 years. I know who tends to shoot where. One of them I won't even screen the goalie because he shoots hard and often high.

You almost have to be like a goalie and read how the d-man is loading up, where his blade is turned (you can get a sense if the shot is going wide or going inside), and where his eyes are looking. Most d-men in rec league will at least look in the general area that they want the puck to go. And they shouldn't be trying to go high corner from the blue line. The shots should stay knee or below for tips/deflections/getting lost in bodies so the goalie doesn't have time to react. If you're wearing a full cage then you may also be more confident to trully face the shot. The longer you can track the puck coming at you the more chance you have of either deflecting it or getting out of the way. Also, pick your spot/battles with the opposing defensemen. Don't allow him to tie you up by leaning on you or putting his stick between your legs (which I 110% hate because it's dangerous for numerous reasons). It's rec league and there is no reason you should be locking yourself into a dangerous position.

To summerize, watch your d-mans eyes, watch the puck coming at you, and leave yourself room to move. And realize, that yes, there are times where you're just going to get hit with the puck. Like they say...you pay the price if that's where you want to play the game.

Know your shooters. Some guys just don't get it or don't care, even if you talk to them. With those guys, I just stopped setting the screen. Beer league isn't worth risking injury. You can still redirect the puck standing a little off to the side of the shooting lane.

Know your shooters. Some guys just don't get it or don't care, even if you talk to them. With those guys, I just stopped setting the screen. Beer league isn't worth risking injury. You can still redirect the puck standing a little off to the side of the shooting lane.

thats probably the best choice. Learn who the wild shooters are and dont bother setting a screen for them, eventually theyll notice and try to change for you. And like sickwilly said its just rec hockey, it isnt worth the missing teeth or the bruises. My first year Jr hockey our coach set up two pylons with a board over it infront of the net and said if the puck goes anywhere else but through that hole you do pushups. We learnt how do keep it down reeeeal quick haha

Know your shooters. Some guys just don't get it or don't care, even if you talk to them.

With some guys, the front of the net is the safest place to stand.

Heatley has made a nice career of redirecting shots from higher in the slot.

But as already stated, get on the same page as your Dman with where he is trying to shoot it.

Secondarily, if the average beer league shot is causing you bruises, maybe it's time to look at some nice pants.

Defensemen need to realize that most of their shots should not be trying to pick corners for goals. They should be shooting to create tips or rebounds for other players and if they happen to go in it's a bonus.

I wish this was common knowledge

It's always great when you tell a Dman to keep his shot low and they get mad at you telling you getting hit by pucks is part of being in front of the net.

I don't mind getting hit down low or occasionally chest/stomach, it's the one's that all the time are high or the head hunters that make everyone duck that bother me.

It's always great when you tell a Dman to keep his shot low and they get mad at you telling you getting hit by pucks is part of being in front of the net.

I don't mind getting hit down low or occasionally chest/stomach, it's the one's that all the time are high or the head hunters that make everyone duck that bother me.

I play on two different teams during the summer. On one team there is a guy who can rip a slapper and if he has time can tend to place it where he wants. But if he's rushed....god help whoever is in the way of the shot. It tends to go head high. So if I don't have time to find my spot and look him in the eye then I won't stand in front of the net to screen. On the other team there is a guy who can hit a 90+mph slapper pretty consistantly. Safe to say I NEVER screen his shots even though he's pretty good about placing them. Just isn't worth getting hit and hurt by one of those.

I play in front of the net all the time and don't mind standing in there. Most of the guys don't shoot hard enough to really hurt and the guys that do... well.... it's a badge of honor for me! That being said, they guys need to shoot low and that's something you should talk about as a team. As far as you getting dinged up - be proud of yourself! Your doing something too few guys are willing to do.

PS - Some guy dented my iTech titanium cage once with a slapper!! That one was a tad scary!

Secondarily, if the average beer league shot is causing you bruises, maybe it's time to look at some nice pants.

haha! i did!! my one55's were pretty ripped up so i got a pair of x7.0's. they are so comfortable and most importantly i feel so much more protected