Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WALEED

High Sticking?

Late in a roller men's league, guy on my team takes a wrist shot and in the process, inadvertently hits a member of the opposition with his follow through. He got him pretty good, bloody lip. Ref whistles the play dead and calls a double minor - high-sticking. It was my impression that a follow through was a legal hockey 'move'. This guy, mind you he's not an actual USAHockey licensed referee, just a guy trying to make some cash, swears up and down that it's a penalty. He reasons that if we assumed the contrary, then guys can go around smacking each other in the face, all in the act of shooting. It isn't the worst logic, since it's reasonable to assume that there are assholes out there who would do such a thing. So, who's right? Is a follow-through of the stick in the act of shooting considered a penalty?

Thanks in advance.

The ref is an ass. People would not be going around hitting people,in the face all the time because in order to be in the act of shooting, you need the puck. When you have the puck and shoot, the other players will more than likely be aware and not be within range tombs hit in the face. You can't just make a shooting motion without the puck because you are not shooting the puck.

USA Hockey removed the follow through exception for high sticks a few years ago. It is a penalty.

I played against a guy who was called for high sticking after he scored a goal. He blindly turned after the score with his arms raised (stick in hand) and clocked me pretty good. I shook it off and was surprised to see him called for the penalty.

USA Hockey removed the follow through exception for high sticks a few years ago. It is a penalty.

This is one of the hardest things to get through to people in the leagues I play in. That and the tripping call even though you made contact with the puck first. USA Hockey's intent is to try and remove dangerous plays at the youth and rec level thereby minimizing their potential liability should something occurs. In theory there is no double minor in USA Hockey for high sticking with blood.

Rule 621 High Sticks

(a) A minor or major penalty shall be assessed to any player who

carries his stick above the normal height of the shoulder or

who makes stick contact above the shoulder of the opponent.

(b) A major plus a game misconduct penalty shall be assessed to

any player who injures an opponent as a result of high

sticking.

I didn't know that the NHL and USAHockey rulebooks differed on this rule; I suppose I was wrong then (even though I'm sure the referee was unaware of the rule change). Thanks boys.

Not to derail the topic but...a big guy once lifted my stick (while we were battling for the puck) into his head and I got a high stick penalty...oh the injustice!