Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lovejotd

Rust Issues

Hey,

I have an old pair of grafs, that I want to use just for reffing and so that I have a back-up pair. The problem is, they rust super easy and seem to need to be sharpened weekly because of the rust.

I take good care of my equipment [now - but before I used to put them in my bag and only take them out to use, once a week], but it doesnt seem to matter. I took the skate blades appart, and the back screw that holds the blade is totally rusted, and the holder has a lot of rust coloring on it.

I am not looking to spend much money, but I want to fix this issue. Please let me know if you have any ideas, or know what will solve my issue.

Thanks!

I would bring them to your LHS and see what they say. Sometimes its an easy fix but sometimes you have to get new holders and steel.

Also do you air dry your skates after every use and wipe them off once your done skating.

The environment you leave your skates matters a lot. Make sure they are dry and store them in a dry place. However, another issue could be the use of poor/inferior metals that easily rust or are more prone to it. If you are having the issue for a while, there may not be much you can do besides replace the steel, which would also be recommendation if you like the fit of the boot.

Graf steel has always been more prone to rust than any other brand I've seen. Clean it all off and then make sure you get the skates dry as quickly as you can after use. Iwould think that step steel or some other aftermarket steel might be a viable option.

I clean my grafs as soon as I get off the ice, then as soon as I get home, hang them up after wiping them off again.

Steel still looks rusty; looses edge really quickly... Got a pair of ls2's on order; can't handle it anymore!

Chadd is right. By going to LS2, you just traded a rust problem for a breakage and lifetime of rivet loosening problem. As Chadd said, get Step Graf steel, problem solved.

I have posted about this in the past year and apparently the problem is long-lasting. I have 2011 Graf G5s which are great skates but also prone to rusting. I air dry, wipe off and leave out right after skating. The back screw constantly comes undone but I just check it each time I go out and retighten.

Kinda interesting a company that prides itself on "high-end" skates would have steel that rusts when my first pair of skates, cheapie Bauers have no rust.Still love the fit and the style. Guess I'll have to get new steel sooner than I thought. Thanks for the post, I don't feel bad now.

Andy in Peoria

Chadd is right. By going to LS2, you just traded a rust problem for a breakage and lifetime of rivet loosening problem. As Chadd said, get Step Graf steel, problem solved.

Because my 705's are oversized, (uk 13) they came with cobra 1000's which to be frank suck ass; and I can't change the runners on!

I don't think my Beer league playing is going to trash ls2's THAT quickly

Yes, those are junk. Odd that graf makes a fixed steel holder for the big sizes. With LS2, you never know when/how the steel is going to break, taking a pass or shot, jumping over the boards, or just while skating. I replace so many broken "beer" league steel, it's staggering. I just brought 96lbs of broken runners to the recycler last week. This is just last season's take.