Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saber123316

Embarassing Hockey moments.

This wasn't so much embarrassing for ME but...

Last weekend a guy on the other team (who is known for being a hot-head, apparently starting fights with his own teammates at times) threw an elbow as we went for the puck on the boards. I countered with a hack to his ankle to let him know I didn't appreciate it ;) Ref calls me for slashing, and then this guy skates over and starts doing the chest-bump thing and getting in my face. Ref ends up giving him an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. So we're both in the box, and he's yelling all kinds of obscenities at me, about how he's going to run me over, yadda yadda. I say nothing. We score while I'm in the box, and the timekeeper doesn't put the goal on the board (which made is 6-0 at that point, this in the first period). I politely said "excuse me miss, I think that should be 6." She says sorry and fixes it and I say "No worries! Thank you so much!" (yes, I actually said these words exactly). I could just tell he was fuming sitting over there.

So anyway, we get out of the box as the period ends (penalty expired at 0:14 but it was 5-on-5). Next period starts, and I'm on the ice. So is he. He gets the puck in his end (he's a D-man) and winds up a big slap shot, aiming right at me. Hits me in the thigh. No big deal. I look at the ref and he shrugs his shoulders. 30 seconds later, he does it again. This time the ref skates says "I gave him the benefit of the doubt the first time. If he does it again, he'll be ejected."

So as the game progresses, and the score gets increasingly ridiculous (about 12-1 at this point - they scored on a breakaway), he starts trying to go end to end. Except every time he does it, he gets stripped. At one point (and this was the best part), hes backing up into his zone while I'm forechecking, and he's taunting me the entire time. Then... he blows a tire and hits the ice. I grab the puck, pass it off to the centre, and he scores. Oh boy did that feel awesome. I don't even care that it was then 13-1 and really shouldn't be celebrating at that point... I just had to whoop it up a bit at his expense.

I also scored what was I believe our 15th goal. My first of the season.

So anyway, moral of the story... if you act like a massive douche, I'm going to enjoy it when you make an ass of yourself later in the game.

Man I hate it when beer league hockey games get lopsided like yours did Optimus...Bad stuff usually ends up happening, I'd hate to be a ref, making a measly 25 bucks or whatever, calling a game that gets out of hand like that.....

I was offsides on a 2-0 breakaway :facepalm:

^^This one makes me smile...I can totally see that happening and the whole bench just groans :D

Man I hate it when beer league hockey games get lopsided like yours did Optimus...Bad stuff usually ends up happening, I'd hate to be a ref, making a measly 25 bucks or whatever, calling a game that gets out of hand like that....

And we lost the previous game by 4 goals, do its not like our team is in the wrong division or anything. They had no defensive play and their goalie was terrible. We weren't even trying to run the score up - it's just pretty much every shot on net went in.

It honestly didnt get out of hand at all really. Virtually zero chippy play. Just this one idiot known for being a hothead.

Once he made a fool of himself a couple times he wasn't really a factor anymore.

first game playing goalie in mini-mites, i went out to play a puck and decided why pass to my d-man when i could send it right to their forward, yeah he went right by me and scored... my dad still gives me crap to this day!

it's just pretty much every shot on net went in. It honestly didnt get out of hand at all really.
We had a game like that a couple weeks ago. We played very poorly and still won 8-2 or something like that.

When we were really young, my buddy left his skate guards on during the first of three tryouts for our local AAA travel team. He had a pretty good try-out, but didn't make the team. Dunno how much of an effect that had on it haha

When we were really young, my buddy left his skate guards on during the first of three tryouts for our local AAA travel team. He had a pretty good try-out, but didn't make the team. Dunno how much of an effect that had on it haha

We had a new-year (Silvester) practice today, a team-member who was out of action for a few months returned. He hops over the boards, a loud "shiiiit" and he was flat on his stomach :) Skateguards on ice ftw :D

My latest foolishness:

I have a bucket of pucks, for practicing, which I keep outdoors. Periodically, it rains and I have to dump out the bucket. Last week, it rained, heavily, and I forgot to dump out the water.

Then it got cold. Then it snowed.

Now all of my pucks (all of them, which granted is like a dozen, but really, all of them?) are frozen into a bucket-shaped block of ice. It's like a First Night sculpture, but uglier and with more detritus embedded.

:facepalm:

ugh.

Well, I one upped myself again in the embarrassment column. Sunday night I was playing in an invite only, over 40 pickup with a great group of guys. Our goalie is a friend and co-worker of mine who recently got injured by irresponsible players rushing the net and running him over (in pick up hockey).

I was chasing down a puck that squirted into our defensive end. I picked it up inside our blue line (or so I thought), turned my head and made a breakout pass to my D partner on the boards. I was still gliding into our zone with my head watching the breeakout, and getting ready to turn up ice when I collided with my own goalie in his crease. I have no frickin idea how it happened. I thought I was 20 feet from the net, but just ran out of space. It was like i just blacked out or something...I didnt even know what to say other than to apologize profusely. Luckily he was ok.

The night I forgot the beer and the pucks,

Haven't forgotten beer, but did forget pucks once. At least I came through on the more important item. . . . :tongue:

Parents night my second year in college. Starting line-ups are announced and then the rest of the team skates out to the blue line (I wasn't a starter). I go to stop, randomly catch an edge, fall and take out about three of my teammates. I had friends on the other team and both teams were trying their hardest not to laugh during the anthem.

1) During a clinic scrimmage game I was given a penalty shot. Couldn't get the puck to settle down and totally blew it. That one felt the worst for some reason.

2) Totally bit it when lining up for a face-off while the opposing team's center was a girl I had a huge crush on. My center asked if I was okay but the girl I liked looked annoyed and I felt hurt and embarrassed and I didn't want to play ever again.

Honorable mentions:

Fell flat on my behind while trying to practice a slapshot with an imaginary puck before the start of a drop-in.

Fell down and couldn't get up for like a minute (kept slipping and sliding all over) when I first started playing, causing my team an offsides.

I was all alone in my defensive end to get an iced puck at a drop-in so I yelled "I got it!" then I attempted to turn, fell and slid into the boards. Turns out my skate blade had a huge chip in it.

I'm embarrassed all the time when I attempt to play goalie (only have done it two times) but I still like it.

Fell trying to clear the zone on a delayed offsides. The ref blew the whistle when the puck entered pointing at me. I complained to him (not yelling) that I was "literally sitting on the blue line." As I'm sure everyone here knows except for me...it's only the skates that matter. Which he politely explained to me.

The refs are used to explaining at least one rule a game to us in the D-league.

It was basically exactly the first picture ("Reminder #1") here: http://www.afterthewhistle.com/en/Rules/20022003/offsides02.htm

Went to a regular pickup game that features plenty of geezers like myself but still fairly skilled (unlike my self). Kid from the Soo Greyhounds shows up. I delay in the dressing room so I know whether he is a light or dark so I can go whatever color he is choosing (I'm not proud) and then proceeded to miss every sweet pass in the goal mouth that he put right on my tape (or where it should have been). I would have had about ten goals had I connected with this guy setting me up. Spent the rest of the session telling him I have a kid around his age so he might have some respect for me since I was likely a senior citizen in his eyes.

My first year of high school hockey (and organized hockey for that matter) my coach invited us to come to a camp he had over the summer called "power hockey." I assumed it was power skating and decided to go. It was 6-11 year-olds and if that wasn't bad enough, they were all about as good as I was. At one point I remember a kid dangling me, getting right by and as I turned to chase him I toe picked and somehow managed to go for a full-fledged front flip on to my back. So not really a full-fledged, more of a half-way.

I was offsides on a 2-0 breakaway :facepalm:

I did twice in the only year that I played organized ice hockey (7th grade). I didn't want to be late on the rush.

How NOT to break up a scrum in the crease.....

I was lining a college game a few years ago where the boys really didn't like each other. Every stoppage we were dancing and seperating someone... a bit tiring, but actually fun stuff to some lineys.... so anyway we end up with probably 8 of the 10 skaters on the ice playing grabass in the crease. my partner and I bust in from the blue line and I stick a blade in a nasty rut just inside of the circle. It wrenches my knee and pulls my foot 90 degrees sideways in an instant...... So now all 6'4" of me is stretched out and spinning around as I slide towards the scrum on my stomach. I literally drop ALL of them as I blow through at ankle level and end up in the net..It took me a few minutes to shake off the pain in my knee.... The pain to my wallet later was much worse 'cuz the zebra code says you touch a knee down and you're buying... That blowout was bad enought that the crew and supervisor drank for free all night.....

decades ago playing street hockey in winter - work myself through the whole team, getting ready to shoot on an empty net, and slipped on a patch of ice, slid face first for probably about 10 feet beyond the goal gathering snow in my eyes, nose, face, all the while before stopping.

beer league a few years back - getting bodychecked by another player (no body contact league), he gets the penalty. I get up a little out of it and skate/stumble over to our penalty box and try to enter. The only thing I can say in my defense, besides the wooziness, is the last couple penalties I got before in previous games were coincidental minors.

beer league again- our goalie getting thrown out a game and me changing from defence to goal. trying to finish the game in his equipment with him having half a foot on me, a good skate size bigger skates, and him catching right and me usually left. spent most of my concentation on trying not to fall and getting up from falling and anything stopped was likely because it was shot right at me. the only lucky thing is i got my girlfriend (now wife) to drive to my home and bring me my blocker and glove to the rink so at least i could play part of what was left of the game with the right hands.

How NOT to break up a scrum in the crease.....

I was lining a college game a few years ago where the boys really didn't like each other. Every stoppage we were dancing and seperating someone... a bit tiring, but actually fun stuff to some lineys.... so anyway we end up with probably 8 of the 10 skaters on the ice playing grabass in the crease. my partner and I bust in from the blue line and I stick a blade in a nasty rut just inside of the circle. It wrenches my knee and pulls my foot 90 degrees sideways in an instant...... So now all 6'4" of me is stretched out and spinning around as I slide towards the scrum on my stomach. I literally drop ALL of them as I blow through at ankle level and end up in the net..It took me a few minutes to shake off the pain in my knee.... The pain to my wallet later was much worse 'cuz the zebra code says you touch a knee down and you're buying... That blowout was bad enought that the crew and supervisor drank for free all night.....

Did you take out the other linesman too?

Nope... He was the back guy... I had a couple steps headstart as he was probalby halfway between the blue and red line moving up to cover as I cheated in just a little in anticipation of the whistle.... But he had a real good view of the carnage...... After he asked if I was ok, all he said was "I am really thirsty all of the sudden!"......

went onto the ice at a bauer demo day with skate guards... enough said.. then proceeded to break the glass with a snapshot, I guess I redeemed myself?