Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrettL

CCM U+ CL Fit Question

I noticed some responses to a couple skate fit questions about the heat "moldability" of the CCM U+ CL skates.

My foot is between a D and E width. I'm currently wearing Bauer Vapor X 6.0 (9EE). The toe box is cavernous and the forefoot seems wider than when purchased. So basically, I feel it's not as snug as it should be and is hindering performance.

The CCM U+ CL (9D) is (a nice length) snug in the forefoot, but there is some pain on the outside of my left foot.

My question about the heat molding capability of the CCMs is, should out of box fit be almost perfect or will the baking form the foam to the forefoot/middle outside (problem) areas of my foot?

My LHS won't bake them. Should I even bother finding someone that will, or pursue a different skate fit?

As a side note; I also tried on the Reebok 20k skates which felt great out of the box. But they're $200 more and I have concerns about durability.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

When i bought my Cl they fit good out of the box and i was amazed on how well the skates mold. I had the guy at the LHS squeeze the ankle so i would have no heel slip and a good ankle lock. The skates are highly moudable but if you are experiencing pain in the fore foot i did not feel the skate expanded in that part. I have owned the last 3 gens of the reebok pump skates and they are good but do break down quickly, i was told that the 20k is stiffer and well made.

I'm not surprised your LHS won't bake unless you buy them. I know some people say you can bake your skates over and over, but I called CCM and they told me not to bake my U+10s more than twice (maybe it's different with the CLs?). I'm not sure why, but it's probably because baking too many times is hard on the skate materials, glues, composites, etc. My left skate felt PERFECT after the 1st bake, but I had a similar mid foot pressure point on my right skate along with a serious ankle pressure point. After a 2nd bake that fixed the ankle point, and about 15-20 hrs on the ice I feel like the mid foot pressure fixed itself. Also, I adjusted my lacing to relieve pressure until it started breaking in there. Honestly, I thought CCMs felt terrible out of the box compared to Bauer and Reebok. With the U+Foam in particular, it's all about the heat molding. I've had my U+10s for about 3 months now and I've really been happy with them, despite a few initial issues. If it's going to cause you serious pain though, I'd think about a different skate or trying the E width in the CLs.

Thanks for the replies.

I've read a few times that the skate width can increase during the heat molding. I'm leery about rolling the dice baking them to have them not fit as good as possible. I'm trying to find a U+ CL E width to try, but the LHS doesn't have them in stock. I definitely don't want to have the skate feel too wide again. I'm assuming it's better to have the skate be on the small side and make adjustments from there rather than the other way around.

Has anybody else experienced anything similar?

If the 20ks felt much better out of the box, I would go for the 18ks at the same price as the ccm cl's. I personally think reeboks skates are made better, and perform + look better then ccm skates (although yes they are the same company now).

I think the Reeboks are the answer. I suspect baking may relieve the pressure point in the CCMs, the Reeboks felt great out of the box.

If it's just one spot that is bothering you and everything else is really perfect, punching out is an option.

My question about the heat molding capability of the CCMs is, should out of box fit be almost perfect or will the baking form the foam to the forefoot/middle outside (problem) areas of my foot?

My LHS won't bake them. Should I even bother finding someone that will, or pursue a different skate fit?

As a side note; I also tried on the Reebok 20k skates which felt great out of the box. But they're $200 more and I have concerns about durability.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

If the RBKs felt like the better fit out of the box, that is probably the way to go. I will say, however, that the change in the feel of a CL can be surprisingly significant after baking. When I got to do a demo bake with a pair on my own feet I was able to comfortably go down 3/4s (6.5) than what I normally size at (7.25). Would have needed E width, though. Of course your mileage will vary.

I'm not surprised your LHS won't bake unless you buy them. I know some people say you can bake your skates over and over, but I called CCM and they told me not to bake my U+10s more than twice (maybe it's different with the CLs?).

I don't know what other shops were told (and I would be interested to hear), but CCM suggested to us that we bake a pair of CLs pre-purchase to help a potential customer decide. The U-foam in the CL IS different than what comes in the 12s, 10,s and 8s and are supposed to hold up better to repeated baking.

Just to clarify gxc999's comment. can the CCM U+ CL and 12's be punched out? Would it damage the u foam or the Surlyn outer shell?

I've done to this a few times with no ill effects.