Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xzzy

Considering the custom skate route..

I started playing ice hockey about a year and a half ago, and have had significant problems in that span finding skates that don't hurt my feet. I've tried three pair of skates (one hand-me-down, two purchased) and they all have the same basic problem. I won't go into exhaustive detail of what hurts unless someone really cares.. but I think I've tried everything that's reasonably possible. I've been to a podiatrist, and I've tried orthotics, bunga pads, punching, baking, lace patterns, sock types.. if a google search can find it, I've probably tried it.

My biggest problem, by far, has been an inability to find anyone who is really knowledgable about skate fitting and who can sit down with me and sort through what's going on. My local pro shop does have a decent guy who's been as helpful as he can be, but he admits he's not much of a boot fitter. His opinion is that my skates don't fit. He's a Bauer reseller and has said if I want to get custom skates, he'll set up an appointment with a rep for me.

Ideally I would find someone who knows feet and can isolate what type of skate I need, but I've spent months trying to find an actual boot fitter in my area (I live in the Chicago suburbs) with no luck. I've tried asking the staff at Jerry's and Gunzo's and Total Hockey, and it's been been an exercise in futility getting past the kids running the counter. I ask for help sizing skates and all they offer is a bake or punching the boot out.

I'm not super excited about dropping a pile of money on a pair of custom skates, but I'm really not sure what else to do. What I am sure of is that the idea of someone tracing my foot and building a skate is starting to sound like a really good idea.. if it comes with a promise I can skate without being in pain I'd be glad to pay the money. I'd also be happy paying to modify my existing skates.. but as I said, I can't find anyone around me who does this sort of work.

At any rate, I'm not sure what the options are for "custom". I know Bauer has their program. Is MLX still selling skates? Would they be worth considering? What about the other manufacturers.. do Easton, CCM, Reebok or Graf have custom programs that a rec league player can gain access to?

A good place to start might be to explain the problem you are having. It is near impossible for anyone on here to help you out with no knowledge of your previous skates and what problem they were causing. I'm sure someone on here would be more than willing to offer ideas or advice if they had more information. Just a few questions to start....What type of pain have you been having? Where is the pain? and what skates were you wearing?

I left it out because I wasn't sure how relevant it was to my question.. which is how to get custom skates and/or find someone in my area who can help me get them properly fitted. I wasn't trying to be evasive. :)

But since you asked:

It's a burning/cramping type feeling near the fifth metatarsal joint (pinky toe). If I take the skate off and poke at the area with my finger, the top and bottom of my foot are more sensitive than the outside edge. Skates feel fine when I lace up, and I can wear them comfortably for an hour or more if I just sit on the couch. If I lace tightly and try to skate, I get severe pain after 5 minutes. If I lace loosely I can skate for 2 hours with slight to moderate discomfort, but when I take the skates off it's five minutes before I can stand on my feet because it hurts so much.

My podiatrist says it's probably a lace bite type of problem but I haven't been able to figure out a way to mitigate it. I've done everything from skating barefoot to gel pads to punching the skates.

Skates I tried were an old pair of bauers (hand me down). I bought a pair of reebok 8k's that were on clearance. I convinced myself the pain was caused by the skates being too big (they were a size or so too large) so I bought a pair of Easton EQ40's. I've been experimenting with them since August 2011 trying to find what's wrong with the fit and have had very little luck.

I have a pretty wide foot, I measure as a EE.

Xzzy, Just wanted to let you know that i was in no way trying to convince you away from custom skates. For me personally, custom skates would benefit me a lot more than most considering I have feet that are a size and a half different ( L is a 8.5, R is a 10). I don't really have a specific skate suggestion for you to try other than keep looking across different brands because they all fit different. Also as a word of caution... if you do go custom please make sure you trust the person who fits you.

Yeah, last year when I bought the Eastons I tried every brand that's for sale in the Chicago area and spent at least 20 minutes wearing each skate. It was a two week hunting expedition and I'm pretty sure all the sales staff was tired of seeing me. The Eastons I ended up with felt the best when I was in the store. The sales kid even let me bake them prior to paying anything.

But as soon as I got on the ice.. problems started. Fast forward to today and I'm looking for that one person I can trust to fit me with skates. :)

I'd much prefer to find someone local but if there's no one around me that can do the work, I'm even to the point where I'm willing to travel to get the job done. Since quitting hockey isn't an option I just have to keep hunting until I find a fix.

Where is the pain? Up near your toe, or more mid-foot? I had a rough bout with peroneal tendonitis that caused some serious pain right at the bump on mid-foot end of the 5th metatarsal. Doesn't sound quite the same, but might be worth looking into.

I just want to warn you about jumping into customs. I did, and blew $1000 on 'em.

Got a skate that fit my foot (shoe size 13 4E), but that I absolutely hated skating in. They were comfortable, but as I've been used to skating in tight fitting skates since I've been playing hockey, it's what I prefer.

Now, I don't really think the guy who did my fitting did a great job at all, so it's really, really important that you trust the guy doing your skates.

Although you'll hear different from some people here, skates simply aren't comfortable if you have an "abnormal" foot. Custom might be the best option, but I'd hate to see someone get burned on them like I did.

Yep.. which is why I'm spending a bunch of energy trying to find the one hockey player in the Chicago region who has weird feet and "knows a guy" who's really good at fitting skates and might be able to help me out.

Hockey is fairly popular around here so there's got to be someone out there.. they're just really elusive.

I've even put energy into trying to dig up contact info for the Blackhawks equipment staff. Certainly they'd have to know the scene around here, right?

I've even put energy into trying to dig up contact info for the Blackhawks equipment staff. Certainly they'd have to know the scene around here, right?

I'd think they deal directly with the reps. I tried finding contact info for the Jets guys here, but gave up on that after awhile.

I called every hockey store in the city, and only one guy did them. That's Winnipeg, and I'd say we're a hockey town. Too small though, maybe.

Your issue sounds similar to what I have. Sometimes my right foot cramps up, but more in the middle, off to the right a little closer to the pinky. Bauer Vapor's work for me. Supreme series wasn't bad either, just felt a little weird. Anyway, the Vapors I have are not perfect, but because of my preferences now, I'm not sure there's anything out there that will be perfect. Even a custom skate is only "custom" to a finite degree.

Honestly, if I were to get custom skates again, I'd be so bloody anal about it I'd probably get a foot mold done and send in my old skates with detailed notes about what I like and dislike, specifically.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a fitter who will guarantee a pain-free experience. Hell, I would never have guaranteed it; I would've given you the best-fitting skates you ever had, but there's no way for someone to expect that. We aren't doctors.

tareatingrat - you've admitted you didn't feel like you had a good fitting experience though. The problem is there aren't a lot of people who are qualified enough to assess it (sales reps [emphasis on the sales, have to be honest here] included, and it sure as hell can't be done online.

If I was making it sound like I was expecting a guarantee, that certainly wasn't my intention.

There's that saying out there about fools making the same mistake several times hoping for a different result, which is how I've started to see buying mass produced skates. My only motivation for asking about custom skates is to break that pattern, and maybe get access to some more experienced help.

This thread has certainly gotten me some good feedback, the only downside is it sounds like I'm going to have to road trip out of Chicago. But the upside is it sounds like I have a shot at avoiding splurging on custom skates.

tareatingrat - you've admitted you didn't feel like you had a good fitting experience though. The problem is there aren't a lot of people who are qualified enough to assess it (sales reps [emphasis on the sales, have to be honest here] included, and it sure as hell can't be done online.

Pretty much. I say that not because I don't think the boot was fit for my foot, but the guy seemed to eyeball a lot of stuff, didn't really ask what I wanted, and even though I tried to slow him down and explain what I was looking for, it really didn't seem like he cared all that much. Honestly, I should have walked, but I was set on customs and he was the only guy in the city that did them. Lesson learned.

There's that saying out there about fools making the same mistake several times hoping for a different result, which is how I've started to see buying mass produced skates. My only motivation for asking about custom skates is to break that pattern, and maybe get access to some more experienced help.

Sadly, it's a trial and error thing with so many different skates. You won't really know until you skate on them, and unfortunately, it's not cheap to go trial and error with skates.

Just a note: My buddy has a very similar foot to mine, and even though he says his Easton's are more comfortable, they don't fit as well as my Vapor's that he tried on. He hates his skates.

That said, I'm more concerned with how I skate. So if there's a little bit of pain, I try whatever I can to mitigate that until the boot breaks in fully (which can take quite some time). Right now, I have bunga pads for my heels (to lessen the issues I have from Haglunds in my previous, too big skates), and this ridiculous gel toe sleeve for the big toe on my right foot. Probably need one for my left foot, too. Point is, I skate nearly as good as I did in my old skates, with a few minor tweaks. For some people, it might be the best they can hope for.

But I really wish you luck. Hopefully you can get what you need and not break the bank. And if you go the custom route, walk if at any point you don't feel comfortable about it. Find another fitter.

Took me two different fittings and pairs to get mine dialed in all the way. I know you don't want to throw $1000 into skates that still might give you issues but it's a process for us with awkward feet. After all the time, effort, and money I've spent on getting my skates dialed in it's a drop in the bucket compared to the pain, hassle, and more money I spent on trying to make retail skates work

Yeah, agreed. The PM's I got have given me some hope that an off the shelf skate may work, so I'm thinking I'll take a road trip this fall to visit a store with a good reputation of skilled fitters and see if I can find something that works. I feel like this thread has gotten me some information to help make better decisions, so that should help too.

I can sell it to the wife as a romantic getaway with a side trip to a hockey store. :)

Only question I might have is ways of "stress testing" the skates in the store. Does anyone have any techniques to try that sort of kind of simulate the feel I'd get on the ice? Obviously nothing is going to be perfect but if I can find a way to trigger the pain before I pay money, that would be a pretty slick victory.

There are many topics on custom skates, so try the search function. I hate to say it but there are really no 'expert " skate fitters. Yes, they can look at you feet to see depth, width, flatness, arches, etc and recommend the closest retail skate, but only you can determine if the skate is right for you. Unfortunately, some people just have a foot shape that just won't work in most skates. Even customs sometimes are hit or miss. I really feel for folks who have awkward feet, same as I do for the 5'4 dude with a 44" waist looking for hockey pants.

I live in minnesota and there are a few places here that do a great job fitting skates... I know it's not close but it might be worth it to get the right skate. Good luck hunting

I am going to be going through Minnesota in a couple weeks for work.. can you clue me in on the highly regarded stores/fitters to keep an eye for?

I'll be near International Falls for a couple days, and will probably pass through Minneapolis on my way north.

I am going to be going through Minnesota in a couple weeks for work.. can you clue me in on the highly regarded stores/fitters to keep an eye for?

I'll be near International Falls for a couple days, and will probably pass through Minneapolis on my way north.

I am from the metro so i can't tell you too much about the International falls area. In the metro there a a few good places though. You can try general sports, Westwood sports, and Daves sport shop. They seem to be the best at fitting skates. I do know that general does customs but they require an appointment with the manager so you would have to do that in advance. I also know that if you make the appointment and do not need customs he will still fit you in a stock boot. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you need anything else.

Yeah, agreed. The PM's I got have given me some hope that an off the shelf skate may work, so I'm thinking I'll take a road trip this fall to visit a store with a good reputation of skilled fitters and see if I can find something that works. I feel like this thread has gotten me some information to help make better decisions, so that should help too.

I can sell it to the wife as a romantic getaway with a side trip to a hockey store. :)

Only question I might have is ways of "stress testing" the skates in the store. Does anyone have any techniques to try that sort of kind of simulate the feel I'd get on the ice? Obviously nothing is going to be perfect but if I can find a way to trigger the pain before I pay money, that would be a pretty slick victory.

Finding that is a necessary precursor to custom skates, and then you might not even need customs.

Finding that is a necessary precursor to custom skates, and then you might not even need customs.

QFT

I would reject more "custom" jobs than actually do them. You had to be a real special case.

I did this trying on Nexus 1000s (in a couple sizes, one was even baked):

Standing up, I got down into more of a skating stance than straight up (i.e. knees slightly bent)

I pushed off with my foot in a skating motion (back and out), but while doing so, made an exxagerated twist of my foot in the kick-off

I found the 1000s would always leave enough play in my heel/ankle area that my heel would lift ever so slightly (or not so slightly in the slightly bigger size)

As this would only get worse with break in (I assume), I have 99.9% made up my mind that the 1000s just are not for me. More like 800s or One.8s...Then again, that is not really stressing the skates checking for pain, but would be a good volume/shape fit check.

I left it out because I wasn't sure how relevant it was to my question.. which is how to get custom skates and/or find someone in my area who can help me get them properly fitted. I wasn't trying to be evasive. :)

But since you asked:

It's a burning/cramping type feeling near the fifth metatarsal joint (pinky toe). If I take the skate off and poke at the area with my finger, the top and bottom of my foot are more sensitive than the outside edge. Skates feel fine when I lace up, and I can wear them comfortably for an hour or more if I just sit on the couch. If I lace tightly and try to skate, I get severe pain after 5 minutes. If I lace loosely I can skate for 2 hours with slight to moderate discomfort, but when I take the skates off it's five minutes before I can stand on my feet because it hurts so much.

My podiatrist says it's probably a lace bite type of problem but I haven't been able to figure out a way to mitigate it. I've done everything from skating barefoot to gel pads to punching the skates.

Skates I tried were an old pair of bauers (hand me down). I bought a pair of reebok 8k's that were on clearance. I convinced myself the pain was caused by the skates being too big (they were a size or so too large) so I bought a pair of Easton EQ40's. I've been experimenting with them since August 2011 trying to find what's wrong with the fit and have had very little luck.

I have a pretty wide foot, I measure as a EE.

seems to me that your holder/blade alignment is too much on the outside, leading to excessive pressure on the outer part of the boot. I know it's a gamble and is not easy to do but I suggest that you ask your pro shop to align your holder a 1/8"-1/4" to the inside..

One of the things I always made customers (and myself) do when trying on skates: when you have it laced up, roll onto the toes, then roll to the heels. Keep doing that. The motion while going on your toes forces the foot to slender and slip forward, so watch how your heel reacts. As you roll back onto your heels, there is a lot of shifting that your foot does, so feel for any points of sharp contact, and finally when you get onto your heels, feel for how much room you just gained in the front.

As far as custom, every manufacturer will do it for you, but getting it right will not happen the first or even second time. I had to have 3 pairs of Grafs made by the time they got 80% correct of what I wanted. Maybe some day I'll actually wear that third pair.

One thing that surprised me recently (after nearly 20 years, I finally quit the hockey biz in April) was how wide the new Bauer Nexus skates were in a D width. I usually score a EEEE on most scales, but the D in an Nexus 800 (size 5.0) was rather adequate for me. Could be a skate to consider if you have a width issue.

Adding SuperFeet to your skates could help also, made my skates significantly more comfortable as soon as I started wearing them.

Good luck!

QFT

I would reject more "custom" jobs than actually do them. You had to be a real special case.

Yeah, I'm not really set on customs anymore. I never really was all that interested in them, but I've had such a miserable time trying to find a skate fitter that gave me "warm fuzzies" I was starting to think it was my only option.. if only to tap into some mythical "second level" of service where the guys who understand feet pop out of the woodwork.

But I've gotten a bunch of solid information from this thread so my expectation is I will be fine with a mass produced skate.. I just have to find the right one and sit down with the right guy.