Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

riverine17

Graf skates w/LS2 holder question...

I have been skating Bauer for a while now and recently switched to Graf and love the boot. I took my skates to the LHS and had them mount LS2 holders to my Graf's and they did a great job for a great price. My question is, since I'm not a skate expert by any means and this is my first holder replacement (from different brands anyways), the mounting looks great with the exception of a small gap at the rear of the front part of the holder... I have posted pictures and you can see the 1/4 inch gap (roughly), will this cause an issue of any sort or only cosmetic? The look does not bother me, I only want to know if it will be an issue? Thanks for any info you can provide!

P1090321.jpg

P1090312.jpg

That holder does not fit that boot. There is quite a bit of pressure on the rivits. My guess is they will not hold and you will have to replace them frequently.

The holder may be the right length, but you have to realize, the shape of the lightspeed holder does not match the graf exactly. That's why you have that huge gap at the rear of the front tower. This means that there is reverse pressure on the rivits. Hopefully it holds but check them often. I must say over and over again, there is absolutely no valid reason to change from the cobra holders to a bauer holder. The BS excuse that someone "grew up" with Tuuk holders is bogus. Until a few years ago, 45% of skaters grew up on either Tuuk+ or Prolite 3 holders. Ls2's are totally different than both of those. Ok, I fully understand someone wants to be cool by putting a Bauer holder on a Graf, but honestly there is no reason at all to do it for performance, whatsoever.

I see what you're talking about now -

However, I think it has to do with the fact that they are mis-mounted; look at how far back the holder is on the boot. If that holder is centered, it's past the bend in the midfoot.

To the OP - shoot another picture, of the boot completely flat and straight.

Then take one from above, straight down over the toe cap. That would be the most telling picture.

On a 10,5 Graf you can use 288 mm or 296 mm. They often come with a cobra 296 mm mounted. I´ve always had my Grafs(size 10,5 D) with Tuuk 288 mm, works great. The problem here, like JR mentions, is that the holders are mounted WAY to far back on the outsole. You can´t skate properly in those, sorry man.

I see what you're talking about now -

However, I think it has to do with the fact that they are mis-mounted; look at how far back the holder is on the boot. If that holder is centered, it's past the bend in the midfoot.

To the OP - shoot another picture, of the boot completely flat and straight.

Then take one from above, straight down over the toe cap. That would be the most telling picture.

Yes you are correct as well, mismounting is always an issue in addition to not perfect fit.

Thank you all for the quick responses, I skated with them today and it was obvious something was wrong, I felt like I was going to tip forward and the skate felt off balance. Here are some other photos as requested. The LHS drilled new holes for these holders to fit, is it possible for them to re-mount them, correctly? What would you recommend i do?

P1090323.jpg

P1090324.jpg

P1090326.jpg

P1090327.jpg

Just as I suspected - can't even see the tip of the holder from over the toecap.

10.5 SHOULD be 288. It has to be removed and shifted forward. You may run into some problems with the holes (maybe not since it's such a brutal mount)

wow, that is bad. That might be able to go up a size, You might have issues with the heel matching up if you shift the holder that far forward.

Looks like it needs moving forward, problem is the sole is likley to be more swiss cheese than swiss skate when youve finished,

wondering if the person mounting used some of the existing holes to start the job or deliberately offset the holder backwards to avoid the existing holes resulting in the odd alignment,

moving up a runner size might avoid re-drilling the rear mounts whilst giving you more blade at the front however it looks like whatever you end up with now is going to be a compromise.

They do need to be remounted, only question is with all the holes, can it be done without overlapping new drill holes, which will eventually cause the holder to shift/bent blade and out of alignment.

What I've found with Graf to LS2 is that two of the holes (usually the rear) match up perfectly. Obviously in this case, that wasn't done.

I´ve had 296 mm mounted on my Graf size 10,5 with good result. I just didn´t like the extra length when skating...

Thanks again for the replies, I took the skates back to the LHS and the tech stated that he matched up two of the holes and went from there. He said it shouldn't be a problem to shift forward so we'll see... Like JR stated, perhaps the mount was so off base that the new holes will be well in front of the old ones... I just hope my new church skates won't compromise performance in anyway...