Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Other Car Is A DeLorean

I took a puck to my throat

Over the weekend during my ice hockey game, I got hit in my throat from the puck. It was just from a saucer pass, but I'm in uncomfortable pain. It did not hit my adam's apple dead on, it hit the side of my throat and about half inch below my apple. I immediantly skated off the ice and had a bad gag reflex.

Thankfully it wasnt from a slapper or wrist shot, but I'm a little bit paranoid now if it happens again. Anybody know of any good protection? Ive seen neck guards, but those look like there just for skate blades and sticks.

Maltese makes a gel neckguard. Do a search of that name here and on google.

I believe LawGoalie on this board is a big fan of those. It might be bulky but it might also giver you some piece of mind.

I've also taken a puck to the throat. It was from a slapper from the blue line that got deflected up into my neck. It hurt, but luckily the deflection took a lot of speed off the puck. The spot was tender for a few days but then I was ok. For me I was lucky because it was for to the outside of the front of my neck where the muscle is.

Unfortunately, aside from the above options, there really isn't much to be had for neck protection. One thing you could do is take one of the Bauer base layers that has the attached neck guard and modify it. Maybe cut open the top around the trim of the neck guard and place some stuff foam in there...then re-sew it shut. Just an idea.

I've actually thought about going to one of those mainly for protection against that freak accident of a skate blade coming up. I know the chances of it happening are slim, but still, freaks me out.

I've also taken a puck to the throat. It was from a slapper from the blue line that got deflected up into my neck. It hurt, but luckily the deflection took a lot of speed off the puck. The spot was tender for a few days but then I was ok. For me I was lucky because it was for to the outside of the front of my neck where the muscle is.

Unfortunately, aside from the above options, there really isn't much to be had for neck protection. One thing you could do is take one of the Bauer base layers that has the attached neck guard and modify it. Maybe cut open the top around the trim of the neck guard and place some stuff foam in there...then re-sew it shut. Just an idea.

I've actually thought about going to one of those mainly for protection against that freak accident of a skate blade coming up. I know the chances of it happening are slim, but still, freaks me out.

Yea, the more I think about it, the more I think I should do it. If I'm going to throw coolness to the wind in order to wear a cage, I might as well take it a step further and get some neck protection. Staying safe is far more important than looking cool...

Yea, the more I think about it, the more I think I should do it. If I'm going to throw coolness to the wind in order to wear a cage, I might as well take it a step further and get some neck protection. Staying safe is far more important than looking cool...

Good call, looking cool in a beer league isn't going to get you laid.

+1 on the Maltese. I was wearing one and took one to the throat as a goalie. It dropped me because it didn't hit me flush and left a bit of a mark on the upper part of my collarbone, but was sure glad I had it that day.

The Maltese is for sure the way to go, especially the more refined version they are producing now. You can get the height you want, and without the extra protection for the collarbone. Compared to other products out there, you won't even realize you are wearing it. Of course, it comes with a higher price tag, too.

I have been lucky enough to avoid being hit in the neck, but if I see a puck heading that way I have gotten good at dropping my head down and taking the puck off of my cage. It always happens by some fluke accident, but it only takes one to do some serious damage. I have heard of people having their trachea collapsed from puck impacts. Scary stuff.

I also agree about the "looking cool" thing, but really....they don't look bad. I think U-18 international tournament requires all the kids to wear the neck protectors....which is how I found out that Bauer was making them as a part of their base layer. I don't think it actually looks bad and I doubt you'd catch to much flack for wearing it in a beer league.

Again, wouldn't do to much for a puck impact...but it can potentially save your life if that freak skate blade comes up.

Make sure your cage has a PERFECT fit. I've had mine too loose and if someone hits it (like a shoulder to the chin etc) it can drive the cage into your throat. I've had this happen 2x over about 15 yrs and I thought I had a collapsed wind pipe both times. One of the times I couldn't talk for three or four days. Shame on me for not having a perfect fit.

Throat trauma from stick, puck, or skate is scary stuff.

I am posting a link to a blog I recently read by Dr. Jo Innes, who, besides being a hockey player and blogger, is an Emergency Medicine doctor. In this post she gives a detailed description of the Zednick injury, how it was treated, and the immediate steps to take if you ever find yourself confronted with someone with a severed cartoid artery.

It's a fascinating post and should be required reading for anybody who plays in situations where medical professionals are not standing by (and I imagine that would mean a lot of us) :

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/09/04/the-quiet-room-richard-zedniks-neck-is-still-horrifying/#more-63949

6 or so years ago I went to block a shot at the point, it climbed crazy fast, but wasn't too hard of a shot. I had a half shield on. So I stuck my hand in front of the bottom half of my face. Caught me right in the throat. Went down like I'd been shot, as much instinct and reaction as anything. Finished the game, throat was sore and voice was scewed for a week and a half. Not a huge fan of neck guards or anything around my neck for that matter. I'm 44 and grew up in Canada so I never had to wear one. Tough call I guess it comes down to personal choice & preference.

Throat trauma from stick, puck, or skate is scary stuff.

I am posting a link to a blog I recently read by Dr. Jo Innes, who, besides being a hockey player and blogger, is an Emergency Medicine doctor. In this post she gives a detailed description of the Zednick injury, how it was treated, and the immediate steps to take if you ever find yourself confronted with someone with a severed cartoid artery.

It's a fascinating post and should be required reading for anybody who plays in situations where medical professionals are not standing by (and I imagine that would mean a lot of us) :

http://blogs.thescor...ing/#more-63949

Thanks for the article. It's essentially telling us (non-medical professionals mostly) to simply apply hard direct pressure to the wound. That's about as much (and should be as much) as we can do.

Good call, looking cool in a beer league isn't going to get you laid.

totally not true.

signed, gretzky helmet, no shoulder pads, sleeves pulled up to elbows guy.

totally not true.

signed, gretzky helmet, no shoulder pads, sleeves pulled up to elbows guy.

Ok, but not by a woman.

I also agree about the "looking cool" thing, but really....they don't look bad. I think U-18 international tournament requires all the kids to wear the neck protectors....which is how I found out that Bauer was making them as a part of their base layer. I don't think it actually looks bad and I doubt you'd catch to much flack for wearing it in a beer league.

Again, wouldn't do to much for a puck impact...but it can potentially save your life if that freak skate blade comes up.

I agree, the base layer ones don't look bad at all. Probably won't do much for a puck, but would likely help with a skate. All I can think of with those things though is looking like tomas plekanec :P

Maltese makes a gel neckguard. Do a search of that name here and on google.

Saw our goalie take a hard shot to the throat recently, so really thinking of purchasing the Maltese. But I'm just a skater (not a goalie), so was curious if other folks wear this and is it comfortable enough to play in? I don't care so much about looks, just don't want it to be overkill and restrictive to the point where I don't where it.