Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Well, considering the inventor of the skate promotes doing it in a conventional oven, not sure what the issue is. I've baked two different pairs of Makos a couple times each in my oven at home with no issues. I used to sweat over home baking, but not anymore (at least skates).

Where does he say that? Not questioning your statement, would just be curious to read more.

Thanks!

For a skate oven, yes.

Exactly, they aren't going to react the same way. Hell, Easton even tells you to change the time if using a different brand of skate oven.

Any guys skating the m8 is there a noticeable difference in stiffness between this and the mako 2?

I'm not but a teammate is. The only real noticeable difference is going to be weight.

Used my M8's for the first time yesterday at a stick and puck. They felt pretty great overall. I'm coming from some Supreme 180s, and CCM V08s and several Mission inline skates before that. I haven't even had my Supremes for a year yet, but I just never felt that great in them. I got my M8s in 9.5D, same as the Supremes. The fit length wise is really similar and I don't think I cloud have gone down any smaller. I LOVE the feel of these and the aggressive pitch. It felt so much more natural to me and like what I was missing from the Supremes. I didn't feel like I was fighting the boot to get my weight forward. I only had a few issues which I think are fixable. One is that I had a lot of pressure in my arch/lower ankle area, but it didn't really bother me until I got off the ice. Another is that my left foot is slightly narrower in the forefoot than my right. Usually this results in my right foot getting squished but in these that foot actually felt perfect and the left one was a little loose. Going to see if I can spot heat and tighten the left forefoot area somehow. Lastly, I got a horrible first sharpening, giving way to much edge on my right skate and almost none on the left, but that's not the skates fault.

• Like 1

I only had a few issues which I think are fixable. One is that I had a lot of pressure in my arch/lower ankle area, but it didn't really bother me until I got off the ice.

Just a week ago I posted about this same thing. Then talked to Easton who recommend heat with a heat gun. I did it a few times with no relief. Superfeet Yellow insoles have fixed it for me. By raising my heel and arch a few milimeters, it has my foot off the rub spot that was occurring above arch/under ankle...that small protruding bone. I wish I just did the insoles to begin with and didn't heat.

I plan to bake them for a second time now that the pain spots are gone and my foot is sitting a little higher in the boot.

-Jim

Edited by JimmyTheDriver

I'm not but a teammate is. The only real noticeable difference is going to be weight.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I didn't know if I'd be getting a way softer skate. I'm looking to get away from a ski-boot feel but would like a bit of support as well

I just had to drill out my stripped out CXN runner bolts. I'm really not a fan of those square hole fasteners they put on them. Does anyone happen to know the size of the bolts so I can get something else?

I just had to drill out my stripped out CXN runner bolts. I'm really not a fan of those square hole fasteners they put on them. Does anyone happen to know the size of the bolts so I can get something else?

"square hole fasteners" :laugh:

Anybody have any issues with the durability of the outside of the skate from other skates, boards etc.? My only real concern is that the heel and "mesh" bits don't really look like they can take much abuse. Also, is the composite stuff on the heel structural, or mostly for looks? Seems like the actual boot is made of a darker, different material when you look inside the sole of the skate (on M8's anyway).

Anybody have any issues with the durability of the outside of the skate from other skates, boards etc.? My only real concern is that the heel and "mesh" bits don't really look like they can take much abuse. Also, is the composite stuff on the heel structural, or mostly for looks? Seems like the actual boot is made of a darker, different material when you look inside the sole of the skate (on M8's anyway).

Have had the skates for over a year playing at least twice a week and mine have held up very well.

How did you manage to strip them? I've never had a problem with a Robertson on anything.

How did you manage to strip them? I've never had a problem with a Robertson on anything.

I don't know. I've had them in and out on several different sets of holders including these several times (I frequently "rotate" mine and my son's runners left to right). And in fact one of the two skates I could get off without any problem. It looks like the tool might have gotten a little rounded off. The guy at Total Hockey gave me two that he had off of a warranty pair AND he gave me the tools with that pair as well. So I'm back in business. I put them back on without locktite this time though.