Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Interesting. I guess Mako II would have address that issue? I haven't had the 'pleasure' of deal with Mako bumps so I'd be interested to see how the Mako II's do when they are released for retail sales.

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610

"So my main question I would like to ask is if you noticed any difference at all lengthwise after baking them and wearing them for a bit."

I used to use Bauer 9.5 for years. They were just a tiny bit too long. When I went to the Mako I tried the 9.0 first. There were unconfortable and the toes felt cramped. I decided that I wanted a better fitting skate and decided to take my chances. Afteall, they could be punched.

But no need for that. After baking them, they were absolutely perfect.

If I were you, I would bake them and see what happens.

I know this is an old post but I just joined the forums hoping you can help.

I bought a pair of Makos on ebay. They're brand new, in box, never baked (as far as I can tell), and never sharpened. They are a size 11.0 D. They're replacing an old pair of Easton SE2s of the same size.

Although they are the same size and same manufacturer, the Makos are fitting differently lengthwise. I recently had my foot measured and have come to find out while my right foot is a definitely 11, my left one is slightly longer, almost pushing an extra half size. This was never an issue with my old skates, but my tips of my toes on my left are just pressed against the toe cap, while the right feels like its a perfect fit.

I took them to a local hockey shop and had them try putting them on an expander overnight (although typically used for widening, we figured it was worth a shot). It seemed to help a very small amount, maybe in millimeters, but it still seems like its not fitting right. I got a really good deal on the skates ($350) and don't want to have to both resell them and give them up, but I also don't want to get stuck with a pair of skates that aren't truly going to work for me.

For this reason I have yet to attempt to have both skates baked and form fitted, nor sharpened. So my main question I would like to ask is if you noticed any difference at all lengthwise after baking them and wearing them for a bit. Like I said, that left foot is just pushing it a tad, and if I could get a little more space I think it would be alright. I have a pair of mission roller hockey skates that fit a little small, but I've skated on them for years with no long term problems. But I also haven't skated on them in almost a year and have gotten used to the way all of my ice equipment feels. What would you suggest I do?

Consider using super feet insoles. They keep you from flattening out in the boot and you will gain a bit of room in the toes.

You can't judge a Mako fit till they've been molded, and they really have to be molded to fit correctly. Don't worry they can be molded over and over again. Badnews though, they really cant be stretched long.

My tongue ripped out as I was putting my foot in. Called Easton and was able to get an RMA. Bought them last May/April from my LHS. So we'll see what happens.

As for people getting the gash on the top of the ankle. I had this for a couple of weeks, don't have them anymore. That and the fact I moved from the Bauer thinnies to the slightly thicker ones - just don't tie my laces as tight anymore.

I came from Vapors (XXII) and after a year of having them you really notice how much you can dig in while skating. Only thing I had to do was set the profile back to +1 and all was dandy.

The only bumps I have are on my inside right foot. I've got a bunion under the ankle bone but doest hurt too much. I orignanlly had this area punched out and it still didn't help. I've gotten use to it but this thing looks like a growth, seriousl

y haha.

Only other problem is seriously don't get a shot in the foot with these. While my Vapors were able to absorb a ton even if I had not squared my toes up to them shooter these hurt like a mother effer, on all shots.

I finally had a shot block in my Makos that really effin' hurt last night. Doesn't help it came off a stick of an ex-pro, but I literally had to take the skate off to subside the pain before I could take another shift. There is a pretty sizable mark on the inside of the left skate, but the structural integrity of the skate seems to be okay.

Probably won't be getting shot blockers since they just don't feel right to me on my feet, but Lobsta is right... try to not get shot in the feet.

I've taken many shots of the boots and really haven't had any issues. I wouldn't say that they're not protective, but no where near as protective as NXG's.

Sadly, my wife would more approve of me getting orange skates since her roller derby team primary color is orange. It's a sickness with her.

I was at Play-It-Again in Lynnwood today and tried on some various Bauers, etc. and was amazed at how comfortable the Mako was on my foot. I wear 10D in skate and it felt like a second skin. If it only improves with heating, I'm VERY curious to learn more as to whether or not waking for the Mako 2 would improve upon that experience. Realistically I know that higher end skates are like sportbikes - I'll never push them to their potential - but I'm a huge fan of comfort and am willing to overcompensate for its sake.

General consensus seems that this is a very good boot for that, but I'm old and slow on the uptake so I want to make sure I'm reading you guys correctly. That seem to be right?

Thx!

If it felt good without baking, just wait until you bake them! It's like a hiking boot. Nice and snug all the way around your foot!

I'd definitely wait for the mako 2 at this point though. Both because of the looks and because you won't risk the mako bumps ;)

If it felt good without baking, just wait until you bake them! It's like a hiking boot. Nice and snug all the way around your foot! I'd definitely wait for the mako 2 at this point though. Both because of the looks and because you won't risk the mako bumps ;)

When does Easton normally drop their next rev? I saw Bauer is mid-April (roughly) - is it the same timeframe or a little later?

When does Easton normally drop their next rev? I saw Bauer is mid-April (roughly) - is it the same timeframe or a little later?

I think I heard May? I'm not sure. I would guess somebody mentioned it elsewhere on the forum, but not sure where.

Thanks all - finally read through the entire thread, so I see the answers to some other questions I had (some I PM'ed to JR - go ahead and ignore.) Seems like the ankle thing really is bad for a lot of folks; I guess I'll probably wait, although part of me would like to gamble to see whether or not I'm one of the few that won't.

Held a pair in my hand side by side with the originals. They open up more at top. From the rear they look more V shaped than originals that were more parallel ( l l ). It's not too much to hurt fit but I think those with "bumps" will be happy. Tongue is a little more padded as well. Look is unreal. Easton is gonna sell a bunch of these.

As a side my kid has been in Makos for about a month, coming out of APX2s. His skating is markedly improved, both speed and transitions. I'm sold on this design. He is the third player on his team with them and I'm sure there will be more next year.

Thanks all - finally read through the entire thread, so I see the answers to some other questions I had (some I PM'ed to JR - go ahead and ignore.) Seems like the ankle thing really is bad for a lot of folks; I guess I'll probably wait, although part of me would like to gamble to see whether or not I'm one of the few that won't.

I think it's worth the gamble if you can get them at a decent price. I took the gamble and no "bumps" here.

I'm curious to hear what socks people are using. The bumps are coming from friction. One would think using a good quality sock that comes up high enough could alleviate the issue. I'm using the bauer elite performance sock which could be the reason that I don't get the bumps

I think it's worth the gamble if you can get them at a decent price. I took the gamble and no "bumps" here.

I'm curious to hear what socks people are using. The bumps are coming from friction. One would think using a good quality sock that comes up high enough could alleviate the issue. I'm using the bauer elite performance sock which could be the reason that I don't get the bumps

I didn't have the specific problem that has become known as the Mako Bump. I noticed the potential in a couple early skates, but the way I set mine up probably avoids this. I don't lace the top two eyelets on mine and then tape the top with clear tape. This allows me to get a good snug lower fit, and in particular, heel lock and still have good flex at the top. This probably is a bit like the 55 Flex thingy. Anyway, mine are not very tight where those who get the "bumps" have the problem, but are quite snug in the lower.

Couple of months on my mako's and I haven't had any issues.

Usually wearing Bauer Core socks with the occasional barefoot skate.

I'm curious as to how many people with the "mako bump" issue have taken a heat gun to them and rolled out the top.

For me, my mako's were unbearable to skate in until I pressed out some hot spots using the heat gun; now they fit like butter!