Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

1 hour ago, icewalker_bg said:

^That bad? Looks like my next skate, I like it very tight, zero negative space.

Nope, it's wonderful! Could probably skate with no laces they wrap so well!

Yeah, those were the ones they sent me before the retail release. It happened while I was playing in a tournament, there was a small crack after one game and I tried to play the next game without fixing the crack. oh well, I just ordered a pair of mako IIs and they should be here by the weekend. 

I'm still going strong on my original Mako Is, but I'm not very hard on them and only started wearing them again recently. It had been about 6 months of only playing goal until a few weeks ago. They're still in pretty good shape, with the exception of a tiny bit of rust around the rivets. Probably from the 1 or 2 times I didn't take the insoles out. 

I believe he is one of the first guys to get them a few years ago, it was long overdue if you ask me. Happened to me a few times (that and few other factory defects from Easton), still planning on getting the Mako2 if I find them at a decent price. 

On 4/19/2016 at 8:41 PM, OptimusReim said:

Nope, it's wonderful! Could probably skate with no laces they wrap so well!

By bad I meant good, In a way. 

On 4/19/2016 at 11:21 PM, Chadd said:

13015504_10208345660415345_1464898691880

Fortunately for me, I only have a small crack on the instep of on the sole of my Mako I's (have had mine for about 3 years now). I bought the Mako II's on Friday and will probably by another pair sometime this summer so I can have one pair for officiating and one for playing/coaching. 

22 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

I believe he is one of the first guys to get them a few years ago, it was long overdue if you ask me. Happened to me a few times (that and few other factory defects from Easton), still planning on getting the Mako2 if I find them at a decent price. 

Yeah, I got mine shortly before the initial product launch. Monkey had 35% off clearance prices last week. They had my size, I needed skates, I pulled the trigger.

zDufousCHU9BxJl_nyXRHEfhOF79XDm3DuKOqpNK

T7Y7nZkZOVJBSDqtpl5drwhExbMlu-L8gTKF7ECM

I spoke too soon hahaha. The first picture is my right skate (inside edge). The second is the left skate (outside edge). I'll probably have to get another pair sooner than I anticipated haha. Good thing is that Total Hockey is selling the Mako II's at $399.99.

Howdy,

So, can someone explain the differences between the M7, M8, and Mako II and how they might relate to a beginner / lower skill level player?

Thanks!

Mark

Howdy,

(I can't seem to edit that post?)

Also, if I'm currently in CCM Ribcor 48k's in an 8D and like the fit (the width is good, they're perhaps a small touch too long), what would the recommendation be for Makos?

Mark

Due to all the great comments, feedback, and suggestions on thread, I picked up a pair of M7’s yesterday.

Wasn’t planning on getting skates, but I went to a Total Hockey last night and the price was low enough to try out the Mako style boot where I can upgrade later on if I decide to stick with the fit.  The sales person was super helpful and did a "half" bake on two different pairs to try on so I could ensure I had the right size.  I ended up going with the same 8.0D that I wear in my Vapor X90 boots.

Probably old news for most of you, but wow are these comfortable!!  I have some foot oddities that were giving me pain in the Vapors, but these Makos molded right around them.  The lack of negative space above my toes is pretty neat, and the toebox is appreciated.

Went out for a morning pickup to try them out, and I’d say I’m 80% on-board with them, I’ll check back in after a few games.  I come from tongues out, loose skates, so these feel way different.  There doesn’t seem to be enough tongue on the Makos, so I’m actually tucking in my shin pads for the first time ever.

1 hour ago, Hat_Trick_Hokie said:

Due to all the great comments, feedback, and suggestions on thread, I picked up a pair of M7’s yesterday.

Wasn’t planning on getting skates, but I went to a Total Hockey last night and the price was low enough to try out the Mako style boot where I can upgrade later on if I decide to stick with the fit.  The sales person was super helpful and did a "half" bake on two different pairs to try on so I could ensure I had the right size.  I ended up going with the same 8.0D that I wear in my Vapor X90 boots.

Probably old news for most of you, but wow are these comfortable!!  I have some foot oddities that were giving me pain in the Vapors, but these Makos molded right around them.  The lack of negative space above my toes is pretty neat, and the toebox is appreciated.

Went out for a morning pickup to try them out, and I’d say I’m 80% on-board with them, I’ll check back in after a few games.  I come from tongues out, loose skates, so these feel way different.  There doesn’t seem to be enough tongue on the Makos, so I’m actually tucking in my shin pads for the first time ever.

Interested to hear your feedback, especially coming from a high end skate such as the x90's.  I was thinking about picking up a pair of M7's to convert to roller hockey...i currently have M8's for ice, but i was concerned the quality wouldnt be good enough on the lower end model.

I bought a pair of M8's  to convert to inline skates. Once I got them I realized I liked the non-orange tendon guard of the M8's better than the orange one on my Mako II's that I use for ice. So my question is, is there any functional difference between the two? Can I swap the Mako ii extendon guard with the M8 one and have the same performance? And before someone else has to point this out, I do realize this is a stupid question, I'd just like as little orange on my hockey skates as possible.

On May 7, 2016 at 10:37 PM, icewalker_bg said:

Its not a stupid question, we can all be very particular about our equipment. I believe they are exactly the same. 

Thanks! That's good to hear

Edited by NiCnoK

On 4/19/2016 at 11:21 PM, Chadd said:

13015504_10208345660415345_1464898691880

Same thing just happened to my Mako's Friday.  This was my Third pair though, I am going to try to epoxy them to use for a little bit longer until I get new skates :( 

13 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

Depending on the extend of the damage, I would guess that the epoxy would not hold very long. It has never worked properly for me. 

I am sure it won't hold, I just want it so my feet don't fall out of the bottom of the skates

*1st post!*

Just wanted to say thanks to MSH and this thread in particular - I've read most of the 120 pages, and after finding some Mako IIs on sale, bought 2 pair

Most comfortable skates I've ever tried - glad this community pointed me in the right direction! 

IMC

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IMC said:

*1st post!*

Just wanted to say thanks to MSH and this thread in particular - I've read most of the 120 pages, and after finding some Mako IIs on sale, bought 2 pair

Most comfortable skates I've ever tried - glad this community pointed me in the right direction! 

IMC

Great to hear, and welcome to the board!

18 hours ago, IMC said:

*1st post!*

IMC

Welcome! I had the same experience and totally agree. I've had mine for 6 months or so and have kind of gotten used to (spoiled by) them. I strapped on my (Bauer) inline skates recently and remembered how lucky I am to have found this thread.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2016 at 7:18 AM, Haggerty said:

Same thing just happened to my Mako's Friday.  This was my Third pair though, I am going to try to epoxy them to use for a little bit longer until I get new skates :( 

If you are serious about wanting to repair them, epoxy won't be enough on its own.  You'll need another material like fiberglass or carbon fiber mesh and epoxy.

On 4/29/2016 at 4:01 PM, caseyjones said:

Interested to hear your feedback, especially coming from a high end skate such as the x90's.  I was thinking about picking up a pair of M7's to convert to roller hockey...i currently have M8's for ice, but i was concerned the quality wouldnt be good enough on the lower end model.

I have about four games on them now, and love them.  I think the fit is so much better that I don't miss the bells and whistles.  That being said, I'm watching sales and eBay to pick up a pair of Mako II to put in storage until I need them.

The big differences I imagine are the liner, tongue and overall weight.

• Mako II and M8 have the hard metatarsel protection on the tongues, while the M7 does not.  I am used to "regular" tongues, so that doesn't bother me at all.
  • Weights are not crazy different for a size 9D skate:  M7 915g, M8 859g, Mako II 839g.  Being over 200lbs, I'm not going to fuss over a 70 gram difference with my skates.
Edited by Hat_Trick_Hokie
  • Like 1