Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

8 hours ago, Hat_Trick_Hokie said:

I have about four games on them now, and love them.  I think the fit is so much better that I don't miss the bells and whistles.  That being said, I'm watching sales and eBay to pick up a pair of Mako II to put in storage until I need them.

The big differences I imagine are the liner, tongue and overall weight.

• Mako II and M8 have the hard metatarsel protection on the tongues, while the M7 does not.  I am used to "regular" tongues, so that doesn't bother me at all.
  • Weights are not crazy different for a size 9D skate:  M7 915g, M8 859g, Mako II 839g.  Being over 200lbs, I'm not going to fuss over a 70 gram difference with my skates.

Thanks man I really appreciate your feedback. Glad to hear they are working out well for you. Does the tongue feel like you can feel the laces through it? That's my biggest concern. I guess that would be classified as lace bite? 

13 hours ago, caseyjones said:

Thanks man I really appreciate your feedback. Glad to hear they are working out well for you. Does the tongue feel like you can feel the laces through it? That's my biggest concern. I guess that would be classified as lace bite? 

Funny you mention that.  I skated on them this morning, and notice red marks on top top of my foot where you would get lace bite.  Didn't hurt and I couldn't really feel the laces, but maybe some signs the tongue could break down in the future.

Just realized that every rivet except the copper ones on my Mako1 skates is more or less loose, brand new skates with maybe 10 shinny sessions on them, another bummer.

Same thing as my S17 skates.  :facepalm:

47 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

Just realized that every rivet except the copper ones on my Mako1 skates is more or less loose, brand new skates with maybe 10 shinny sessions on them, another bummer.

Same thing as my S17 skates.  :facepalm:

The same exact thing happened to me on mako 2s! I had to replace all rivets and one copper rivet... So far after 5 games it's been good but now I look at my rivets after each game.

Edited by Asian Tomatoe

On 5/16/2016 at 0:52 AM, Asian Tomatoe said:

The same exact thing happened to me on mako 2s! I had to replace all rivets and one copper rivet... So far after 5 games it's been good but now I look at my rivets after each game.

Still, cant get enough, got a pair of mako 1s, mako 2s, and I just bought the last pair of M7s in my size on HM :) Aiming to have at least 7-8 pairs for the years to come. None of the other brands fit my foot and I dont know when someone will come up with a similar skate, not only do I have low volume feet, I like a very tight fit. Not planning on spending 1000$+ on a pair of VH when I can 3 pairs of makos for that money. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

Still, cant get enough, got a pair of mako 1s, mako 2s, and I just bought the last pair of M7s in my size on HM :) Aiming to have at least 7-8 pairs for the years to come. None of the other brands fit my foot and I dont know when someone will come up with a similar skate, not only do I have low volume feet, I like a very tight fit. Not planning on spending 1000$+ on a pair of VH when I can 3 pairs of makos for that money. 

I thought I was playing it too safe with 2 pairs, here you are aiming for 7-8! ?

Now I'n wondering if 2 pairs is enough...?

Got to skate in my M8s last night. Overall, I like them a lot and felt more comfortable and confident as the game went on. The forward flex feeling in the ankles will take some getting used to. Luckiky any discomfort I had in my arches when walking around at home in them didn't bother me on the ice. Does anyone else feel like the stock laces are way too long though? I had so much extra lace that I had to tuck them under my shins & socks  

1 hour ago, third man in said:

Got to skate in my M8s last night. Overall, I like them a lot and felt more comfortable and confident as the game went on. The forward flex feeling in the ankles will take some getting used to. Luckiky any discomfort I had in my arches when walking around at home in them didn't bother me on the ice. Does anyone else feel like the stock laces are way too long though? I had so much extra lace that I had to tuck them under my shins & socks  

Definitely. I also felt like one side was longer than the other. Either way, I went and got a new pair.

A guy I skate with stepped on a skate lace on the ice and ran full steam into the boards. Injured himself pretty badly. Ever since he told me the story, I'm real conscious of skate laces.

Some thoughts after skating on these skates for 2 months now.

1 - The best fitting skates I've ever worn, literally nothing comes close. They feel like wearing sneakers. I also played around using different insoles (superfeet yellow, Graf sidas and Bauer speedplates); I've gotta say that speedplates enhance the feel of this skate the most.

2 - They are light as hell, I feel like I can add another step or two into my acceleration and that's a huge plus when you want to burn people.

3 - They held up well so far, they still look new even though I've skated a good amount on them. My only concern in terms of the make is the shock absorption; I took a minor shot to the foot and it hurt like hell. For that reason, I'd recommend probably ordering a pair of shotblockers or for those who don't want to spend that doe skatefenders instead.

4 - Mako bumps.. I thought they fixed this from the previous model, but my ankles say otherwise. I am currently looking into remedies to fix this problem as it's the only reason holding me back completely loving this skate.

All in all, I am quite happy with my purchase aside from the Mako Bumps, if anyone can suggest ideas or methods to fix this, it would be very appreciated!

Regards,

Kyosuke

7 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

Heat the upper area that bothers you with a heat gun, and try to roll it out gently. 

Sorry I don't really understand what you mean but roll it out gently... Can you please clarify?

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, Kyosuke said:

Some thoughts after skating on these skates for 2 months now.

1 - The best fitting skates I've ever worn, literally nothing comes close. They feel like wearing sneakers. I also played around using different insoles (superfeet yellow, Graf sidas and Bauer speedplates); I've gotta say that speedplates enhance the feel of this skate the most.

2 - They are light as hell, I feel like I can add another step or two into my acceleration and that's a huge plus when you want to burn people.

3 - They held up well so far, they still look new even though I've skated a good amount on them. My only concern in terms of the make is the shock absorption; I took a minor shot to the foot and it hurt like hell. For that reason, I'd recommend probably ordering a pair of shotblockers or for those who don't want to spend that doe skatefenders instead.

4 - Mako bumps.. I thought they fixed this from the previous model, but my ankles say otherwise. I am currently looking into remedies to fix this problem as it's the only reason holding me back completely loving this skate.

All in all, I am quite happy with my purchase aside from the Mako Bumps, if anyone can suggest ideas or methods to fix this, it would be very appreciated!

Regards,

Kyosuke

I got hit on the front of my ankle with close range wrister just below my shin pad like 3 months ago and I can still feel it. I don't know if it would have been any different with other skates, but that sucked and kept me from playing for a while. I've taken shots in a couple other places on the boot and been fine though.

As for the "Mako bumps", I have an issue on just one skate where it rubs my ankle. It's right about where the tendon guard attaches. I tried heating it and bending it a bit but it didn't seem to do anything. I wear a Bunga pad and it keeps it from doing any damage. Kind of annoying to have to do that though. I might eventually try just gluing a piece of gel padding onto that spot of the boot so I dont have to mess with the sleeve.

Overall I still really like the skates though. I was just noticing last game how all I have to do is just "snug" the laces up and it wraps my foot perfectly. No tugging and pulling required for a good fit. Contrary to some opinions I think they (M8's) look really sick too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kyosuke said:

Sorry I don't really understand what you mean but roll it out gently... Can you please clarify?

Thanks in advance!

The black upper part that wraps around your foot at the very top of the skate, you heat it up, take a cloth or something not to burn your hand and push it outwards to relieve some pressure, its a 50/50 fix, hopefully it works for you.

Screen_Shot001.jpg

Edited by icewalker_bg

I'm still confused as to what's causing the 'mako bumps'; at first I thought it was the screws holding the tendon guard, but from reading earlier posts it appears to be the the contour of the upper section of the skate that might be rubbing/digging into the ankle as icewalker_bg had stated. Is there no surefire fix?

Yea, upper edge of the skate digging in.

Ive been wearing a neoprene sleeve on my ankle since I first got my original makos. Has worked perfectly.

Anyone have a lead for a pair of Mako IIs or Mako 1s in 8.5D?  Looking for a buddy, but everywhere that stocks them in that sizing seems to want full pricing.

9 hours ago, syinx said:

Anyone have a lead for a pair of Mako IIs or Mako 1s in 8.5D?  Looking for a buddy, but everywhere that stocks them in that sizing seems to want full pricing.

I just set up a search on eBay for them a while back. I'll occasionally still get email notifications.

you could also try icewarehouse 

Try going to a local Sport Chek and asking for them to look up that size on their computer for the Mako II and M8. They are selling the Mako II for $499 and the M8 for $359. Online it indicates that the Mako II is out of stock everywhere, but I've found that's not true and some stores still have stock. My local stores were out of stock, but I managed to find a pair of Mako II's in my size about 45 minutes north of where I live during a weekend when a competitor was clearing out their stock for $399 and managed to get them to price match.

A guy in Burlington is selling a pair of  (barely used according to him) pro stock original Makos in 8.5D that have tuuk holders on them for $175 Canadian. Not sure if he'll ship them out to your friend though: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hockey/oakville-halton-region/easton-mako-8-5-skates/1159265684?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I FOUND THE SOLUTION TO THE MAKO BUMPS!

It was right under our noses too.. POWERFOOT! I had a pair of powerfoot that I bought but couldn't use in my Mako2's due to them making the toe box too tight. Whilst removing them from my boot, I realized the shape would fit the contour that's been eating at my ankles... So what I did was stick those powerfoots laterally in the inside of the boot; hence, giving me a soft and comfortable pad for my ankle to rest on. Believe it or not, it feels as though it adds no volume whatsoever with the added bonus of removing the cause for the mako bumps!

Anyways, shoutout to Powerfoot, these things feel nice and cozy no matter where you decide to stick'em!

• Like 1

I would definitely not do that, it would change how my skates fit way too much.

I got one of these and cut the bottom out of it so its basically just a 3" tall cuff. Been wearing that with my original Makos for years. 

XbHsjkAm.jpg

Worked out to be an ez fix for me and no sacrifice in comfort; no more blister and found a use for my powerfoots! I'll keep this thread updated as I continue to test this setup, we'll only know it works for certain after a handful of games.

• Like 1