Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jaysakic8

Bauer Nexus vs. Total One Stick

Hey everyone, anyone out there tried the nexus vs the total one stick. I have the APX now, and am looking for something with a easier loading flex profile. Have come down to these two since they have the same blade construction as the APX. I am more of a playmaker type player that takes mostly wrist and snap shots. I can get a total one for $160 compared to $250 for the nexus. Any preferences?

there was a really good post about the flex profiles of each stick i was searching for a couple of days ago but could not find. could anyone link it if they know where it is

personally i would stick with the apx if its not giving any problems. ive tried apx and x:60 and my wrist/snap feels more effortless than the t1 (used briefly) and the one80 im using now

What stick works best for you will depend entirely on your shooting mechanics. All of the top of the line Bauer sticks (TO, Apx, Nexus 1000 and the new TO NXG) are pretty similar in terms of weight, balance, feel, materials, etc., the main difference between the 3 lines is the flex profiles. Pretty hard to say which one will work best for you until you try them.

You say you're looking for an easier loading stick than the Apx, and I would say that my 77 flex TO feels significantly easier to load than my 77 flex X:50. You don't feel the flex as much with the Vapour sticks because they're designed to flex less around your hands, and flex more near the blade. Haven't used a Nexus myself, but apparently they feel even a bit whippier than a TO. With that being said, in terms of value for money I think the TO has to be a safe bet, they're on sale now because the TO NXG has been released. The TO is basically equivalent in quality to the Nexus 1000 but $100 cheaper, for that reason alone I'd go with a TO if you're not sure whether a TO or a Nexus would work better for you.

Bumping this topic. How is everyone's Nexus 1000 holding up? Are they breaking down in the blade like I have heard the NXG is doing/Losing pop after a few games?

Bumping this topic. How is everyone's Nexus 1000 holding up? Are they breaking down in the blade like I have heard the NXG is doing/Losing pop after a few games?

Have had mine since August, usually on the ice 3 times a week and it still feels brand new, no issues with durability at all. Love this stick, just wish it wasn't so expensive because I'll definitely be getting another one.

Hey everyone, anyone out there tried the nexus vs the total one stick. I have the APX now, and am looking for something with a easier loading flex profile. Have come down to these two since they have the same blade construction as the APX. I am more of a playmaker type player that takes mostly wrist and snap shots. I can get a total one for $160 compared to $250 for the nexus. Any preferences?

Had two X:60's for over two years, I couldn't load a 77 flex to save my life. I bought a Nexus 1000 in 77 and I'm loving it. It's the first senior stick I've been able to load. It's great for both slap shots and quick wrist/snapshots. I really feel like this stick does it all very well. I've been playing with it for a month so far, playing twice a week.

I used to have a TO and I really liked it. Then I got a Nexus 1000 b/c I wanted something that I heard was a little easier to load and had a quicker release. I have not been disappointed in my Nexus at all. It is easier to load and has a bit more whip than the TO. It also has a nice quick release. The only drawback when compared to the TO is that when you have the time to really load the stick up on a wrister it does not have quick as much pop as the TO. It is also not as strong on slappers. As far as durability goes I have had mine since July or August and have not noticed any breakdown yet, playing 2 or 3 times per week.

MyBoxersSayJoe

How flex in marker after u cut stick?

I think I'm around 90 after cutting it down. I also tore my shoulder last spring and can't really lean in to shots anymore, so this stick has some nice pop to it without trying to kill the puck.

Just wanted to give my two cents. I have used both sticks in an 87 flex and I would have to say that the Nexus "feels" softer. I don't necessarily think that the Nexus has an overall softer flex, but due to the two different constructions I felt like the Nexus gave me more feel overall. This may have been my personal experience, but coming from the One95 ( used religiously in college) I was not to happy with the feel of TotalOne. I know they changed the blade construction from One95 to the TotalOne and this may have caused some of my dislike. Because of the small sample size this may not be the same for everyone, but my TotalOne broke after about a month and a half. Very disappointing. The Nexus, up until last week, was amazing. Sadly it broke after about 3-4 months which is a pretty decent run for my sticks. I will admit that it lost some of its pop about a month ago but some how in the last week of its life i was starting to enjoy it again. I have had this same experience multiple times in the past so I wont hold it against the stick. I rarely take slap shots, but i felt like when i did there was no loss of velocity or loading time as have been mentioned by others. Very quality stick and performs as good as advertised. I am sure the totalOne is fantastic for certain individuals but it just was not for me. Just an FYI Both sticks broke in the middle of the shaft...... If i will say one thing bad about both sticks.... the price is absolutely ridiculous.

I loved my TotalOnes and after breaking one last week I picked up a Nexus instead of an NXG. I was a little unsure about it at first, and still haven't had a chance to take a ton of shots with it, but I am really starting to like it! A little more time to dial in my shot with the new kick point and all should be good. I can notice a quicker release than with the TotalOne but still with the same power.

So after reading this it doesn't appear that there's any consensus on the durability of NXG, and also the puck feel with the new blade?

I snapped my TO today and need to get a new stick fairly quickly, but I'm really unsure of which one... the two-part blade construction they've first tried on APX scares me coz the blade on my APX went soft and developed cracking noises in a couple of months...

So flex profile aside and knowing how subjective this is which stick has 'better puck feel' between nexus and NXG?

Just saw in the Bauer gear guide that it shows the Nexus having the power core 4 blade same as the NXG... What's with all this recent confusion about their blades?

Yes, Nexus have Power Core 4 blade. U can check it in myBauer

Right but the Nexus was originally advertised to have the power core 3, just like the NXG was originally said to have the dual density but turned out to have the power core 4.

Interesting....there are some posts in another thread that say that the T1 NXG blade is not durable...but if Nexus' blade has the same construction, then wouldn't the Nexus have the same blade issues?

I recently got a T1 NXG custom and had 2 games with it so far but I obviously can't speak to the blade durability on it yet.

I love my Nexus 1000. Still feels brand new after a few months of use.

And I love the puck feel of the NXG - definitely better then TO, and I'd say better then the APX (which I also own which went soft in the blade in less then 2 months)

But for some reason I can't shoot with NXG all that well possibly because I went down in flex - 77 vs the usual 87.

I'm ~ 200#, but cut the stick 4" so when cut 87 was close to 105 flex, vs 77 is around 95 - shouldn't it make my shot stronger and not weaker?

^It really seems like an issue for guys cutting down the mid kick sticks. I have a couple team mates who do not shoot well with total ones`. Maybe the kick point is too high for a shorter stick/player.

I am interested in trying the Nexus but I have gotten my APX dialed in so well that I will only try the Nexus when my APX is done.

Loving my nexus1000. To be honest its the only bauer stick I have ever genuinly loved. The pop and feel you get from shooting that stick is top notch. It's a really fun stick to shoot IMO. Additionally, the blade has held up well. No signs of softness or cracking. Ive used it in roughly 50 recreational skates now. Also, that Gange curve is a ton of fun as well :)

Honestly these new top of line NXG and nexus have gone too light for my liking...
Ever since the one90 and vapor XXX the durability is going down and I'll never be convinced that making stick lighter and lighter results in more durable sticks nor better puck feel at all.

They are really selling us pro-spec sticks now a day, sticks designed for pros to perform extremely well but for a short time.

Unfortunately we don't get free batches every morning in the mail

899134tumblrmb9fbwbXhU1qcnkumo15001.jpg

At 260bucks a piece it doesn't make much sense for us lot.

This year I'm really looking forward for 2 sticks :
- Supreme ONE.9
- CCM RBZ

Loving my nexus1000. To be honest its the only bauer stick I have ever genuinly loved. The pop and feel you get from shooting that stick is top notch. It's a really fun stick to shoot IMO. Additionally, the blade has held up well. No signs of softness or cracking. Ive used it in roughly 50 recreational skates now. Also, that Gange curve is a ton of fun as well :)

That's the same stick/curve I have, and I also love it.

As for these sticks being too-light and thus too breakable, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I almost never break sticks.

Honestly these new top of line NXG and nexus have gone too light for my liking...

Ever since the one90 and vapor XXX the durability is going down and I'll never be convinced that making stick lighter and lighter results in more durable sticks nor better puck feel at all.

They are really selling us pro-spec sticks now a day, sticks designed for pros to perform extremely well but for a short time.

Unfortunately we don't get free batches every morning in the mail

At 260bucks a piece it doesn't make much sense for us lot.

This year I'm really looking forward for 2 sticks :

- Supreme ONE.9
- CCM RBZ

According to icewarehouse, the one.9 is 429 g, while the Nexus 1000 is 413 g. Pretty difficult to notice a 16 g difference in your hands, and I doubt it would affect durability that much either. The one.9 is also barely cheaper than the Nexus 1000 (again on icewarehouse, the Nexus 1000 is $249.99, while the one.9 is $229.99, a $20 difference). I've owned quite a few high end Bauer sticks, and only ever had one break within 6 months. Funnily enough the high end Bauer that did break early on me was a one95, a stick with a very good rep durability wise. I don't view their sticks as ones with durability issues, despite the fact that their top of the line sticks are often among the lightest on the market.

I'm not a big guy at all, but if I take a lot of slappers for 3-4 trainings in a row with an apx, the pop would be gone for sure and the blade will probably be cracked.

It's a fact that those sticks are fragile..

Although I totally believe an average beer leaguer can keep them for a life-time without breaking.

I've learned to go easy on my sticks when they are about to break.. actually now I even stop using them as soon as I see a big crack.

A one95 was something like 460g.

But it's all about balance, an apx and a TO weight approximately the same, the apx feels clearly heavier.

Fortunately, I dont pay 250bucks for a stick :ph34r: (not that rich nor that reckless).