Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aftcomet

Replacing runners/holders down the line.

Hi all. I have are the Easton EQ5 skates in size 8. They have the Easton Elite Stainless Steel runners as well as Razer Bladz II holders. I've had them for what will be a year now. There is still plenty of steel on it and one holder only has a tiny chip in it.

I was thinking, somewhere down the line they're going to have to be replaced (the steel at the very least). I'm in Canada. I usually do all my hockey shopping at Sport Chek. But they don't carry holders or runners. I was looking on hockeygalore.ca because it's the only online Canadian store I could find (hockeymonkey's shipping fees kill any savings). Anyway, holders are "on sale" for $25 a piece and runners are "on sale" for $50 (pair I assume). Then there are installation fees I'm guessing.

So now I ask the experts. Doesn't it make more sense to buy new skates when that time comes? I don't mean to plunk another $300 or something, but I see Bauer Supreme, Reebok, etc skates for less than $70 on sale all the time. Couldn't I buy those and instead swap their runners? Seems like I wouldn't spend much more if at all and I'd have some extra boots to boot!

Go easy on me, I'm still new to hockey. :sad:

The steel and holders on low end skates are often made from inferior materials.

Which I guess means it would wear out even faster? How long do the runners/holders last by the way on average?

Unless the holder actually breaks you wouldn't have to replace that.

The steel will last depending on many factors, but mainly how often you get them sharpened and if the sharpener knows what they are doing. Also if you take care of your steel (i.e. don't let it rust).

EQ5 are high end skates and if they fit you correctly worth taking care of and they will last you quite a while. Plus with the RBII holders you can order some steel online (if you can't find it at a local shop) and change it your self.

Easton holders only take steel made for those holders. Same with all the manufacturers.

Unless the holder actually breaks you wouldn't have to replace that.

Not true at all. I see plastic that is warped and twisted all the time. Once that happens the steel isn't flat on the ice anymore and it becomes very easy to lose an edge.

Which I guess means it would wear out even faster? How long do the runners/holders last by the way on average?

Lower quality steel generally doesn't hold an edge as well and rusts more easily. Weaker plastic bends and breaks more quickly as well. Steel will last a few years for most people, it all depends on how often you have then sharpened or profiled.

I see. You guys have given me a lot of great information.

Chek's pro shops don't have runners/holders? Where abouts are you located?

I'm in Toronto. I will say that I've only checked online, not at the actual stores themselves.

Hockey Experts in Scarborough in the east side and HX Dixie on the west. The Cheks w/ HXs in them should have what you're looking for as well. Just call your closest store and ask if they have it for you and if they do, put them on hold for yourself.

Hockey Experts in Scarborough in the east side and HX Dixie on the west. The Cheks w/ HXs in them should have what you're looking for as well. Just call your closest store and ask if they have it for you and if they do, put them on hold for yourself.

Thanks for the information. I'll check it out.