Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

2013 Bauer Hockey Catalogue

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/files/file/155-2013-bauer-hockey-catalogue/

Skates - This year, Vapor gets the update; flagship skate is the Vapor APX2. The major changes boot-wise are the lacing system - instead of plastic layered in between materials and then grommeted with metal eyelets, it is a solid pre-cut piece, made of the same plastic that is used in holders. The premise behind it is that it will maximize energy as well as provide stability to the boot. Also, no need to worry about rusting eyelets; there aren't any. The holes are D-shaped, which help maintain flat laces. The tongue is also new for 2013; it is a 3-piece tongue; thicker felt on top, but thinner on the foot for a better fit. The X 100 skate is essentially the same spec as the Vapor APX from last year, and the X 90 replaces the 7.0.

Supreme and Nexus remain unchanged for 2013.

The other big advance in this category is the Tuuk Lightspeed EDGE holder. The holder height has been bumped up 3mm in both towers for a greater attack angle; you are able to turn tighter because the ability to get lower on your turns has been increased. But what is arguably its greatest feature is the blade attachment mechanism; it employs a trigger which is recessed in the last hole in the holder bridge. Pull the trigger and the runner is released; when you put the steel back in, it snaps back in and locks the trigger. It's a great system for those who keep sets of replacement steel and rotate them; very convenient.

Bauer will be telling this story on all of their skate boxes as well as an education on optimal skate hollows; in a collaboration with Blackstone Sports, they will list optimal FBV and ROH hollows for your body weight and ice conditions.

The Lightspeed EDGE will be available on all Vapor skates from APX2 to X 60 (which is the 3rd skate in the line, going up from the entry level X 40) as well as aftermarket, in all runner options (Fusion/LS2/LS3.)

Sticks - Nothing new now; sticks change in October 2013.

Helmets and Facial - RE-AKT remains unchanged for 2013.

The IMS 11.0 is what is replacing the Cascade M11 Pro; the biggest advance in the helmet is that they are backing up the Seven technology (more on that later) with PoronXRD in key areas. It still keeps the same adjustment system as the M11 Pro. Another key feature is that the Poron and the foam liner in the helmet will be perforated for airflow; which was my biggest issue when I was using the M11 Pro. MSRP $159, available June 15, made in Liverpool, NY, along with all of the different colorways.

The IMS 9.0 is the same shell as the RE-AKT (other than that it now has a spring-loaded occipital lock system instead of the tab that is on the RE-AKT,) however, the internals are different. It has their Vertex foam, but doesn't have the Suspend-Tech liner that is found on the RE-AKT. It has a thin layer of VN on top of the Vertex, so at first glance, if you were to flip the helmet around and look into it, it'd look like a VN helmet. It is essentially what a pro VN RE-AKT would look like, if it existed.
One point that has to be made is that every NHLer you saw wearing a RE-AKT was wearing the off-the-shelf version. So, now, they have an option if they like that fit/VN feel and don't want the Suspend-Tech, and so do you. MSRP $139, available April 15.

The IMS 7.0 is the M11 helmet, however, with the redesigned Seven Technology. Seven tested really well for high-impact, however, not as good on the low-impact side, as the majority of hockey hits are exactly that. The solution was to soften the coils so that they compress easier. MSRP $119, available June 15, made in Liverpool, NY, along with all of the different colorways.

9900 will still be offered in the line through 2013.

Facial remains unchanged, but one product has (finally) been tweaked, and that is the Concept2. It is now known as the Concept3; enhanced vision and airflow; vents have been made bigger, and now it comes with a double-coat of anti-scratch material in addition to anti-fog. Even comes with a helmet bag.

Gloves - The big change for gloves is the Supreme line; inspired by what the Rangers do to their gloves, the main feature of the Supreme TotalONE NXG is the addition of PoronXRD to the pad that sits on your hand in the glove. It will be lined, however. This addition makes it 23% more protective than the previous TotalONE glove. Single-layer nash palm with three PU patches in key areas for wear. MSRP $179. Followed by the ONE.8/6/4.

Continuing with the whole family thing, the Supreme 4-Roll is now a Nexus - the Nexus 1000 has dual density EPP in the rolls, equating to 15% more protection than the previous 4-roll. 3-piece thumb, nash palm with a black nash overlay, airmesh gussets. MSRP $169. The Nexus 800 is identical to the 4-Roll, so no worries for those who like that style glove.

Vapor line remains for 2013.

Protective - Supreme, Vapor and Nexus are now three complete families with three distinct fit profiles; Supreme is an anatomical fit, Vapor a tapered and Nexus is a traditional fit, if you will.

The new TotalONE pant system is comprised of two parts; the inner girdle still has the mobility and adjustment aspects of a standard wrap girdle, however, has their Vent Armor in the hip and kidney areas. It is fastened to the shell using a patented system that has strong Velcro tabs; one in the back and two on the sides. Now, the outer shell has stretch/wear zones and padding in the kidney and thigh areas, just like what NHL EQMs (and me) have been doing. NXG comes in at $149, only sold in combos, however, the shell will be sold separately if you need to change colors. The ONE.8 version comes in at $119, and will offer a custom program for team sales.

Nexus inherits the Supreme pant line from years past - small tweak by adding EPP in the kidney area. Also, the standard pant shell offering has been modified to fit over pants, not girdles.

Vapor line remains for 2013.

The latest retail trend is for the NHL-spec 1/2" foam shoulder caps to trickle down to retail, which is a good thing. Bauer is taking a different approach to it; what they did was to add two densities of Vent Armor foam (a layer of plastic is sandwiched between to keep the cap shape); the softer foam will be on the top of the cap, and the denser foam will be on the inside of the cap, all the while maintaining the same thickness of previous Bauer shoulder caps. That's the premise behind the NXG shoulder pad, also, the rear of the shoulder pad (areas where a player would get cross-checked) has been improved, trickling down to the ONE.6 pad.

New tooling on the elbow pads - there is a groove along the middle of the pad so that it fits closer to the elbow. On the NXG, the part that touches the elbow is PoronXRD, followed by a mid-density foam, then the shell, and then a softer cap on top of the shell. On the shin, PoronXRD in the kneecap as well. These areas are uncovered; the thought is that most players use baselayers nowadays, and since elbow/shin pads fit closer to the body, it won't shift and adds a more comfortable feel.

Release date is April 15 on protective.

Wow. Nice. I can't help feeling a little stupid asking for the whereabouts of this catalog and then having it pop up the very next day. I ain't complaining, though. I have a much better idea now of what to target. Thanks.

On a side note, it's kind of sad that there won't be a successor to the old Bauer Vapor MBP8 girdle. That particular bloodline ended on a pretty bad note, at least from my experiences. I've owned two Supreme TotalONE girdles, both of which fell apart easily within the same window of time it took me to wear out the MBP8.

The same could be said for my Supreme pant shell in which the loop holes came undone, all because I had the sheer gall to wear it. Hopefully the Nexus pant shell is an improvement.

Skates got me a little confused ...

What used to be the Vapor X3.0 are now what? X 50? X 60? Which is the lowest model to be thermoformable?

I don't think you'll be the only one out there who will be confused lol

Easiest way is to follow the line up from the X 30 (there will be people who will add the ':' colon and, in the process, confuse everyone else), which is similar to the X1.0/X:05 and go up from there. But it's weird because in the catalog, the X 40, which should be the equivalent to the X2.0/X:15, has copied the features list almost word for word from the X1.0. It's most likely going to be the case of the former comment as it lines up with the X100 = APX, X 90 = X7.0 relationships as you follow the line down.

Also in this year's catalog, it says that the first skate in the line (going up) to have fully thermoformable uppers is the X 80, which is supposedly the X6.0 replacement. In last year's catalog, the first skate with that 'feature' was the X5.0 (X 70 this year?), but in practise, the X4.0s were stiff enough to be baked that I'd recommend doing those and very rarely did I get people baking 3.0s because they were so much softer. So perhaps this year it would be the same with the X 70-X 50 practically speaking.

• Like 1

I don't think you'll be the only one out there who will be confused lol

Easiest way is to follow the line up from the X 30 (there will be people who will add the ':' colon and, in the process, confuse everyone else), which is similar to the X1.0/X:05 and go up from there. But it's weird because in the catalog, the X 40, which should be the equivalent to the X2.0/X:15, has copied the features list almost word for word from the X1.0. It's most likely going to be the case of the former comment as it lines up with the X100 = APX, X 90 = X7.0 relationships as you follow the line down.

Also in this year's catalog, it says that the first skate in the line (going up) to have fully thermoformable uppers is the X 80, which is supposedly the X6.0 replacement. In last year's catalog, the first skate with that 'feature' was the X5.0 (X 70 this year?), but in practise, the X4.0s were stiff enough to be baked that I'd recommend doing those and very rarely did I get people baking 3.0s because they were so much softer. So perhaps this year it would be the same with the X 70-X 50 practically speaking.

Actually in the catalog that i downloaded from here each Vapor skate has a different quarter package and lining ...

I'm just wondering why Bauer chose to go from X:nn to Xnn via Xn.n with different starting numbers. And is the X4.0 so much stiffer than the X3.0?

Of course they have different quarters and linings, they're at different price points!

Yes, the 4.0 is noticeably stiffer than the 3.0, unproportionately so given that it's just one step up.

After re-reading your post i see that you were talking about X1.0 and X40 and not about X30 and X40 - this numbers game is really confusing ... In Germany we have the X.0 as an absolut entry-level skate, maybe this is the predecessor to the X30 which could explain the similarities between X40 and X1.0.

Of course they have different quarters and linings, they're at different price points!
  • Like 1

JR, any chance you can upload the apparel and accessories catalogue?

No. I don't do it as it adds excessive size to the catalogue; I always omit that section, regardless of manufacturer.

Wow. Nice. I can't help feeling a little stupid asking for the whereabouts of this catalog and then having it pop up the very next day. I ain't complaining, though. I have a much better idea now of what to target. Thanks.

On a side note, it's kind of sad that there won't be a successor to the old Bauer Vapor MBP8 girdle. That particular bloodline ended on a pretty bad note, at least from my experiences. I've owned two Supreme TotalONE girdles, both of which fell apart easily within the same window of time it took me to wear out the MBP8.

The same could be said for my Supreme pant shell in which the loop holes came undone, all because I had the sheer gall to wear it. Hopefully the Nexus pant shell is an improvement.

Yeah, well, gotta understand that at this point, these are collaborations between us and the manufacturers. The days of me getting catalogues and posting them without a care in the world are way over. (Those days were fun, though!)

Interesting; I never had the T1 girdle; my ONE95 held up great. The protective product manager participates here on MSH, I'll make sure he sees this.

The Lightspeed Edge holder looks really interesting, as someone that just started using heel-lifts (thanks again JR!) with positive results, I'm eager to try them out. Will be curious to see when CCM/Reebok unveil taller holders now that Bauer and Easton are on it.

CCM is; their new holder for 2013 is 4 mm taller.

That catalogue review should be appearing in the next couple of weeks.

Remember, if both towers are raised, it has no effect on pitch. So, you'd still have to use a heel lift.

Remember, if both towers are raised, it has no effect on pitch. So, you'd still have to use a heel lift.

Good point, I had spaced on that. The extra height overall is still enticing, I've been trying to tighten up my turns for a while now

Maybe just me, but the APX2 line, looks so much better than the previous. Found that after the 7.0, the skates looks cheap, but no the case now. Looks solid, no matter where in the line you buy.

It shouldn't. They merely replaced multiple layers of synthetic leather, plastic, liner and metal with one piece of plastic.

Curious to see if the new eyelet orientation adds a bit of unintentional volume.

I'd be very interested to see where this new NXG glove would rank on an independent test for impact dispersion with the new Poron XRD on the top of the hand. Could it give Warrior's bone system a run for its money?

Good point, I had spaced on that. The extra height overall is still enticing, I've been trying to tighten up my turns for a while now

The only minor disadvantage to the taller holder (which I hope isn't just me) is that the APX 2 felt like it look a split second longer to get back on the opposite edges after a sharp turn. In other words, the extra lean you gain with the new added height means you have that much more ground to retrace and it was noticeable. Another one of our guys felt the same way when we got to try the 2's out last year.

As for the aggressiveness and sharpness of a turn you can achieve with the APX 2's, amazing. I had just skated my RS' a couple days prior and these blew them out of the water.

Chase @ IW Hockey

APX2 is going to be $849; I believe X 100 is going to be $699.

You are correct, x100 will be MAP'd at $699.99.

One interesting side note about the x100 though, its not the same as apx minus fusion steel. Very similar, but not identical.

The only minor disadvantage to the taller holder (which I hope isn't just me) is that the APX 2 felt like it look a split second longer to get back on the opposite edges after a sharp turn. In other words, the extra lean you gain with the new added height means you have that much more ground to retrace and it was noticeable. Another one of our guys felt the same way when we got to try the 2's out last year.

Makes sense. That was the first thing I was thinking of when I saw the writeup on the higher holder.