Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

craig9128

Bauer Nexus 200 Skate toe pain help?!?

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot but a month ago I went and picked up the Bauer Nexus 200 skates. I play teice a week beer league so I didn't need anything crazy expensive. Instantly had them fitted and baked and they felt great. The next week my first game with them I noticed sone intense pain on my the outside of my big toe on the inside of both my feet it feels like something very hard is pushing hard on my big toes where the plastic toe cap begins. Im basically new to the game as a player and the only skates ive ever owned before this pair were used. I absolutely love these skates minus this pain any suggestions will help thanks in advance.

I suppose the obvious question to ask to begin is whether or not there is some sort of actual protrusion coming from the toecap area or the footbed/outsole below it.

I suppose the obvious question to ask to begin is whether or not there is some sort of actual protrusion coming from the toecap area or the footbed/outsole below it.

Probably. Same issue I have with my Vapor X:Shift skates. Went down a size because I was developing Haglund's, and now my big toes are getting calloused from the damned seam between the boot and toe cap. My old XXX skates didn't have such a pronounced protrusion.

I use something similar to this:

http://www.feetrelief.com/feetrelief/gel_toe_cap.html

Picked it up at a local athletic/medical supply store.

Doesn't solve the problem, but it helps mitigate the pain.

Probably. Same issue I have with my Vapor X:Shift skates. Went down a size because I was developing Haglund's, and now my big toes are getting calloused from the damned seam between the boot and toe cap.

I use something similar to this:

http://www.feetrelief.com/feetrelief/gel_toe_cap.html

Picked it up at a local athletic/medical supply store.

Doesn't solve the problem, but it helps mitigate the pain.

These gel toe caps are one of the only reasons that I've been able to continue playing. I get mine from Running Room (in Canada).

If you take care of them, they seem to last for about half a season. I hit them with a bit of baby powder before each game to take away some of the stick, and they work awesome.

I've tried everything from punching, insoles, alignment, shims, etc (and still use a combination of all of them), but the only thing that prevents my toes from getting destroyed are these caps.

I believe there is an actual protrusion coming from the material transition from the boot into the toe cap.
Probably. Same issue I have with my Vapor X:Shift skates. Went down a size because I was developing Haglund's, and now my big toes are getting calloused from the damned seam between the boot and toe cap. My old XXX skates didn't have such a pronounced protrusion. I use something similar to this: http://www.feetrelief.com/feetrelief/gel_toe_cap.html'>http://www.feetrelief.com/feetrelief/gel_toe_cap.html Picked it up at a local athletic/medical supply store. Doesn't solve the problem, but it helps mitigate the pain.
This is something I am definitly going to try. Thanks for the idea.

I had this exact problem too. It's the reason I have to feel the inside of every pair of skates I try. If the seam between boot and toecap is rough, I can't wear them. The first pair of Easton's I had hurt like hell.

See if you can find somebody who has bought a pair of higher end Vapor skates, as they actually come with an insole with a pad in that spot.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/pics/JR/nxg5.jpg

My RBKs aren't rough there so I don't have much of a problem anymore (and that part of my toe is calloused now).

I had been using round blister band aids (no name from target) on my toe under my skate socks, up until I ditched the Easton skates.

Building on OR's post, one could conceivably pick up a random pair of skate insoles in a larger size and trim it specifically to create those 'flaps' in key areas. Easy and (likely) free.

That might be possible! I've honestly been trying to think of a good way to attach a flap to my superfeet. even just some duct tape or something... Make a little flap, good to go.

The Bauer guy at Winterfest was saying that most people just cut them off... *shrug*

The Bauer guy at Winterfest was saying that most people just cut them off... *shrug*

This is true. Some people find that they decrease the width in the toe cap or just get in the way, so they're often chopped off before the first skate.

Before I left to go to the rink today I took a Dr. Scholls gel insole out of an old pair of a sneakers and cut it to fit over the "rough" patch at the toe cap. It worked amazingly no toe pain at all. Thanks everyone for the help and pointing in a direction to get this figured out.

Well i just cut it to size and the design of the skate holds it in place Ill try to take pictures to show you what im talking about a little bit later